Hi all,

I'm trying to find out why everyone everywhere says the ISP is so much better than the NS-2.

I currently own an NS-2 and have been using it for years. I set it up as follows:

guitar-->NS-2 input-->NS-2 loop send-->(pedals before amp)--> amp input-->AMP FX SEND-->(other pedals inc. EQ etc)-->NS-2 loop return-->NS-2 ouput-->(delay/chorus pedals)-->AMP FX return.

So I've incapusated the amp pre amp stage in the NS-2's loop. It takes the threshold from my guitar. So if I don't play is silences all the pedals including my amps preamp stage. It won't silence the time delay pedals though.

So my big question is that if the NS-2 completely silences my rig even on super high gain settings, and has a pretty damn fast response. What is it about the ISP that is so much better? Is it just a tone sucking thing perhaps? or does the ISP also do some hiss filtering while you're play as well or something?

Thanks.
NS-2 does it well, ISP decimator does it better. It is just more transparant. Not a big deal for loud live volumes, but more obvious for recording and low volumes.
WTLTL 2011
The ISP is more transparent. I've owned both. The decimator went out on me awhile back, so I just picked up a used NS2 and it's still on my board
My understanding is that the ISP is true bypass and the Boss is not.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

The NS-2 worked for me, I never really noticed any significant changes in tone when using it. A bit of color I guess, but it didn't suck my tone
Quote by VanTheKraut

nu-uh

the decimator has (IMO) a much better buffer, but i'm sure it's still buffered.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So for most applications, replace the buffer in the Boss (via solder or an honest tech) and save a load of money?
I am a fake mountain.
Momentary threadjack: I've heard that it's better to get 2 regular ISP's (non G-string version) and just run one through the pedal chain and one through the loop rather than having the G-string which does both.

Thoughts?
The ISP is a much better gate, and as Dave said, has a much better buffer. Not TB.

Quote by fixationdarknes
Momentary threadjack: I've heard that it's better to get 2 regular ISP's (non G-string version) and just run one through the pedal chain and one through the loop rather than having the G-string which does both.

Thoughts?

It depends. Having two gates allows you to set different thresholds for each pedal, as opposed to just one with the G string. That said, the G string has the tighter gating technology of the rack version. It depends on what you need.
Quote by VanTheKraut

I would imagine that a true bypass on a noise gate in most instances is a rather moot feature.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by DanTheHobbit
So for most applications, replace the buffer in the Boss (via solder or an honest tech) and save a load of money?

how much is a tech gonna charge you to replace the buffer?

But I mean assuming you keep the noise gate on all the time, it doesn't really matter about the buffer. if you ask me the decimator is a better gate as well. I mean, the ns2 will do the job, but the decimator will do it better.

Quote by fixationdarknes

Thoughts?

not sure- but certainly the g-string is only marginally cheaper than two decimators, so it may be worth considering, especially since you'd have two threshold controls. Another advantage would be that, in the unlikely event that the pedal breaks, if you have the g-string you're screwed, whereas if you have the two bog-standard decimators you could probably still get through the gig, plus replacing a bog-standard decimator is a lot cheaper than replacing the g-string version.

Of course the disadvantages are that 2 pedals will take up a lot more pedalboard space and will take up more power supply jacks.

Just depends, really. I haven't tried the g-string, but assuming it does work as well as 2 normal decimators, it just depends on the individual rig and player's needs.

Quote by denied
The ISP is a much better gate, and as Dave said, has a much better buffer. Not TB.

It depends. Having two gates allows you to set different thresholds for each pedal, as opposed to just one with the G string. That said, the G string has the tighter gating technology of the rack version. It depends on what you need.

ah, so the g-string is actually a better gate, is it? That would change things a little. I already have the bog standard decimator (i got it before the g-string was released), so I figured I'd just get another one. But if the g-string is better... (plus the pot on mine is a little dodgy, it's starting to get a bit stiff, i don't want to buy another normal decimator only to have my original one crap out 2 days later, lol).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Of course the disadvantages are that 2 pedals will take up a lot more pedalboard space and will take up more power supply jacks.

I don't really understand though how you can do the X connection with an NS-2 or G-string and still have the pedal be on your pedalboard. Wouldn't you need really long cables and it would look like a rat's nest, with wires going everywhere?
Quote by fixationdarknes
I don't really understand though how you can do the X connection with an NS-2 or G-string and still have the pedal be on your pedalboard. Wouldn't you need really long cables and it would look like a rat's nest, with wires going everywhere?

Wouldn't be any more cables than if you were running pedals in your effects loop
I notice a tone loss with my NS 2 although i have never run an ISP decimator through my rig. the tone loss you can EQ out, but I do see a room for improvemtn that could make the ISP pedal better
Quote by eyebanez333
Wouldn't be any more cables than if you were running pedals in your effects loop

This is true. I run everything through the NS-2's loop (thats including my amp preamp stage).

So from what I can tell, the Standard Decimator doesn't have a separate guitar input like the G-String or NS-2 which would make it completely inferior.

But as for the G-String vs. NS-2, the G-string just has a better buffer basically. That's what I'm hearing from this thread.
Quote by eyebanez333

So do you need two long cables to reach all the way from your pedalboard (where your G-string or NS-2 is located) to the back of your amp where the FX Loop input is?
Quote by ragingkitty
I would imagine that a true bypass on a noise gate in most instances is a rather moot feature.

What about the times you want to achieve that fragile, glassy tone with your vintage Telecaster into a Deville before hitting the br00tz and knocking out some Cannibal Corpse?

Oh, hang on...
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
dudes, honestly if you cant get your hands on an ISP, the Boss Ns-2 has no drawbacks. i hae mine set to 3/4ths with the decay on minimum and i spent a good 20 minutes chugging while switching it on and off looking for any sort of tone sucking.....none......pull the trigger, ns2
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
dudes, honestly if you cant get your hands on an ISP, the Boss Ns-2 has no drawbacks. i hae mine set to 3/4ths with the decay on minimum and i spent a good 20 minutes chugging while switching it on and off looking for any sort of tone sucking.....none......pull the trigger, ns2

I used to believe this to be true, but lately, I've noticed a huge difference. In fact, enough of one for me to just practice at home without a gate while I was waiting on my Decimator to arrive. Arrived, fixed it, happy me.
Quote by BryanFTWL
I used to believe this to be true, but lately, I've noticed a huge difference. In fact, enough of one for me to just practice at home without a gate while I was waiting on my Decimator to arrive. Arrived, fixed it, happy me.

idk man i have a pretty good ear.....how high was ur gate set?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
I also haven't heard any tone loss with my NS-2. It's a really cheap pedal, and it's functionality is just great. I love it.

The tone loss some people experience might have to do with particular pedals being used in conjunction with it?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by EspTro
idk man i have a pretty good ear.....how high was ur gate set?

Just high enough to cut the feedback. I don't play with too much gain either, so it wasn't even overbearing. It made it sound weaker in the mids, and the lows weren't as smooth, if that makes sense.
Quote by Offworld92
I also haven't heard any tone loss with my NS-2. It's a really cheap pedal, and it's functionality is just great. I love it.

The tone loss some people experience might have to do with particular pedals being used in conjunction with it?

Has more to do with the strength of the guitar signal, as well as the amplifier's effects loop quality. Some amps hate the NS-2, others have no problem. My B-52 hated it, ENGL blackmore was ok. Sold mij NS-2 though, I didn't want any hassle.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by fixationdarknes

yeah that's also a good point. i know on my board (which already looks like a rat's nest ) i run my pedals which are in front of the amp in the first row, and the ones in the loop in the second. so yeah that'd be a bit awkward having cables from both sections going to the one pedal.

EDIT: i noticed a pretty big boost when i turned on my ns2. though it wasn't 100% transparent either (the decimator isn't either, but if the decimator is, say, 99% transparent the boss is maybe more like 90%).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Mark G
Has more to do with the strength of the guitar signal, as well as the amplifier's effects loop quality. Some amps hate the NS-2, others have no problem. My B-52 hated it, ENGL blackmore was ok. Sold mij NS-2 though, I didn't want any hassle.

My Ltd with emg's through the highest gain channel with the knob almost dimed
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
My Ltd with emg's through the highest gain channel with the knob almost dimed

EMGs + highest gain channel + knob almost dimed? Don't know man, not looking well for that ear of yours. With settings like that you probably couldn't care less about NS-2 tone suckage. Then again, you might not care about tone.
WTLTL 2011
Right on Mark.

The ISP Decimator does its job pretty well, I haven't owned a NS-2 though, but there is definitely very little to no tone sucking if you don't overuse the threshold knob.
Quote by josephgriffiths

But as for the G-String vs. NS-2, the G-string just has a better buffer basically. That's what I'm hearing from this thread.

Quote by EspTro

Oh boy.

Alright, while the Decimater has a better buffer, that's not the main issue here. The NS2 is a fine pedal. Countless people use it without complaints.

BUT the Decimater has a MUCH tighter gate. It is completely transparent, even switching from drive to clean. With the NS2 there IS a noticeable impact on your sustain.
Quote by Mark G
EMGs + highest gain channel + knob almost dimed? Don't know man, not looking well for that ear of yours. With settings like that you probably couldn't care less about NS-2 tone suckage. Then again, you might not care about tone.

That's not my settings normally that's the settings i used to see how much noise it would kill. Oh and the blue voodoo dont pack a lot of gain so yea hope i cleared things up. Usually have the gain around 5 or 6 and rely on pick attack
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
That's not my settings normally that's the settings i used to see how much noise it would kill. Oh and the blue voodoo dont pack a lot of gain so yea hope i cleared things up. Usually have the gain around 5 or 6 and rely on pick attack

That sounds a lot better Like others have said however, the main difference lies in the gate and the buffer, not in the amount of noise it can kill.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
That sounds a lot better Like others have said however, the main difference lies in the gate and the buffer, not in the amount of noise it can kill.

So its unanimous .....NS-2 does the job....ISP does it better
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED