im really drawn into the whole eclipse series by esp now. and yesterday i saw 2 esp 401 for the same price just with different bridges. im normally a stop bar kind of guy because ive had an epiphone special 2 for 4 years. i find no point in having a floyd rose at all, but for the same price i can get an eclipse with an extra feature. they both have emg 81/60, 24 frets, rosewood fingerboard... what do you guys think? floyd rose or stop bar?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-ec-401-electric-guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-ec-401-electric-guitar-with-floyd-rose-bridge
If you have to ask at all then the answer is go with the hard tail. Unless you know you want one and you know what you want to do with it, floyds are pretty pointless really.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If you have to ask at all then the answer is go with the hard tail. Unless you know you want one and you know what you want to do with it, floyds are pretty pointless really.

+1 and FR are a bitch to keep working properly, unless you really need one.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you don't need a floyd rose, don't get one - instead of looking it as an extra feature, look at it as a source of frustration and extra maintenance.
Quote by Robbgnarly
+1 and FR are a bitch to keep working properly, unless you really need one.

Quote by katalyzt13
If you don't need a floyd rose, don't get one - instead of looking it as an extra feature, look at it as a source of frustration and extra maintenance.

...Only if you consider yourself a moron. You guys floor me. If you think the Floyd Rose is some mythical creature, I sure hope you're staying away from effects pedals, pick-ups that need batteries and locking tuners.

Its. A. Bridge.

No more, no less - with good points and bad points, just like everything else - even a hard tail.
Last edited by ORCRiST at Jul 27, 2011,
Quote by ORCRiST
...Only if you consider yourself a moron. You guys floor me. If you think the Floyd Rose is some mythical creature, I sure hope you're staying away from effects pedals, pick-ups that need batteries and locking tuners.

Its. A. Bridge.

No more, no less - with good points and bad points, just like everything else - even a hard tail.

I actually do stay away from pickups that need batteries and locking tuners

Hardtail, its much better.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Agreed. Only get the Floyd rose if you know you want it. Otherwise, it is annoying and robs you of sustain.
Quote by ORCRiST

Its. A. Bridge.

It's true though, if you get a Floyd and don't intend to use one, what is the point? The extra labor of balancing the Floyd or just blocking it is a waste, if you're not going to use it.

Also, some Floyds, although I'm sure the FRS is fine, aren't that great. So why risk buying a guitar with a crappy tremolo that always goes out of tune when you can have a hard tail that almost never goes out of tune?
Quote by ORCRiST

Its. A. Bridge.

The point they're making is that it's stupid to go for something that needs as much care as a floyd if you're not planning on using it much. I agree with them that it's better to get a hard tail if you don't want to deal with the stress caused by a floyd.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by ORCRiST

Its. A. Bridge.

If you don't need a floyd the negatives far outweigh the positives. The maintenance is only one aspect of it, there's also the fact that with a floyd, if you want to tune at all differently it's much more complicated than a hard tail.

I have several guitars with floating bridges and I don't have any problems with them but if I didn't know what I was doing in terms of tuning and so on it would be way more hassle than they're worth.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I agree with almost everyone here, if you don't need a Floyd, they can be more hassle then they are worth.

BUT....I have several guitars with great floating tremolos, and several guitars with tune-o-matic bridges. I will take a great floating trem over a tune-o-matic any day. They are far more comfortable to me because they are lower than a TOM. I also will take the fine tuners and locking nut over locking tuners. I freaking love fine tuners and the tuning stability of a locking nut.
yeah i guess no floyd would be good, my friend let me use his dinky with a floyd and i only used it for a second, be sides i am constantly switching tunning from standard to drop D and also half step