Tbh dude, most things that come in a starter pack are not the greatest.

But we can help you. What's your budget, where do you live (for finding used gear), what do you want to play, etc. There's a sticky at the top of the page that will show you what you need to give us.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
honestly, for that price, i think you can get way better used gear and not in a pack, like spend 100 or whatever in a squier strat and get a decent amp or get a somewhat nice amp and effect pedals or a multi fx
i agree with the other guy, but vintage are good guitars! be careful though, my friend dropped his and the neck got sliced in two. yamaha pacifica's are good!
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
TBH, as far as beginner packs go it isn't bad. I've heard good things about Vintage guitars, and it comes with a 60w DSP amp, which is better than most beginner packs I've seen. You will find better gear if you are willing to buy this stuff separately, but it isn't a bad deal.
60watts... REALLY????

and considering you like death metal... as we can see by your username, i'd suggest you spend £350 on:

Ibanez GRG170DX £200 http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-grg-170dx-jewel-blue/17040
Peavey Vypr 15 £100 http://www.gak.co.uk/en/peavey-vypyr-15/19561

then the other £50 on
a decent cable (probably planet waves) say £15
a gig bag you could get for £10
a decent tuner is probably about £10 too

then you've got £15 to play with to buy a capo, some plectrums and a strap.

edit: just noticed that the guitar link i gave you, you can get a FREE gig bag and with the amp a FREE 20ft cable... so spend that £50 on a tuner (£10) and the other £40 on a pedal or something.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Last edited by Dempsey68 at Jul 27, 2011,
If you're into metal and want to go for a starter pack check out the Ibanez ones. They give you a very diverse guitar, the Ibanez GRG70DX, which has a HSH setup, which is very useful for metal! The neck humbucker will give you a fat tone for the heavy riffs and the bridge humbucker will give you sharp edges for shredding, for example.

The amp they have in the pack is alright, not great but for a starting guitarist it should be okay, maybe later you can get an Engl amp xD
The guitar is diecent, but I don't know about that amp....... looks like a cheap POS
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Dempsey68
60watts... REALLY????

and considering you like death metal... as we can see by your username, i'd suggest you spend £350 on:

Ibanez GRG170DX £200 http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-grg-170dx-jewel-blue/17040
Peavey Vypr 15 £100 http://www.gak.co.uk/en/peavey-vypyr-15/19561

then the other £50 on
a decent cable (probably planet waves) say £15
a gig bag you could get for £10
a decent tuner is probably about £10 too

then you've got £15 to play with to buy a capo, some plectrums and a strap.

edit: just noticed that the guitar link i gave you, you can get a FREE gig bag and with the amp a FREE 20ft cable... so spend that £50 on a tuner (£10) and the other £40 on a pedal or something.

i agree with this, except if you look for used gear, you can probably get the same guitar cheaper and a more powerful amp for the same price or a bit more (that you will have due to the guitar being cheaper) thos 40 that are left, i would probably use to get effect pedals, buy behringer pedals, i bought 4 pedals for 40€, but it was a one time offer from the dealer, with 40€ you can get 2 behringer pedals, and they sound pretty decent
Dude, buy it. And sell it as an vintage '58 (hey, buff the shine a lil' bi', and nobody'll know the difference) Les Paul and then buy a Gretsch White Falcon and a Evil Robot
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
Quote by tntero
i agree with this, except if you look for used gear, you can probably get the same guitar cheaper and a more powerful amp for the same price or a bit more (that you will have due to the guitar being cheaper) thos 40 that are left, i would probably use to get effect pedals, buy behringer pedals, i bought 4 pedals for 40€, but it was a one time offer from the dealer, with 40€ you can get 2 behringer pedals, and they sound pretty decent

NO. Don't do that.

TS - I'd agree with Dempsey. Though the only other thing to note is that GAK have a bad reputation. I've used them before and they were fine, but I have heard some horror stories.
Quote by MasterofHasacz
Ok I would go for a epiphone sg special an Emg 81 and a line 6 spider 4 15w amp

way to give him one of the worst reccomendations ever.
Quote by Dempsey68
way to give him one of the worst reccomendations ever.

Agreed. +1
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by guydudesonbro
The neck humbucker will give you a fat tone for the heavy riffs and the bridge humbucker will give you sharp edges for shredding, for example.

Urdoinitrong.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Urdoinitrong.

I'm not much of a metal player but many metal guitarists I have met told me they use the setup in that sense, perhaps you do it differently..

I wouldn't go for Behringer pedals btw, try starting out with just a good guitar and an amp., instead of spending money on low-quality pedals. Check out the Boss ME-25, gives you a bunch of good Boss effects for relatively low price, good solution if you wanna experiment with different effects.

If you wanna get a separate amp with a good overdrive try Line6 (the sound is very digital and flat/boring), but they're cheap and give a bunch of overdrive just make sure you put enough bass in.. Or one of the new VOX VT series, the VT20+ should be good size. I find they give nice overdrives, and they are semi-tube amps, which gives a slightly warmer tone.
Quote by guydudesonbro
I'm not much of a metal player but many metal guitarists I have met told me they use the setup in that sense, perhaps you do it differently..

I wouldn't go for Behringer pedals btw, try starting out with just a good guitar and an amp., instead of spending money on low-quality pedals. Check out the Boss ME-25, gives you a bunch of good Boss effects for relatively low price, good solution if you wanna experiment with different effects.

If you wanna get a separate amp with a good overdrive try Line6 (the sound is very digital and flat/boring), but they're cheap and give a bunch of overdrive just make sure you put enough bass in.. Or one of the new VOX VT series, the VT20+ should be good size. I find they give nice overdrives, and they are semi-tube amps, which gives a slightly warmer tone.

while a very good amp, i wouldn't reccomend the VT20+ for a number of reasons. 1. it's a little more expensive, 2. it's not exactly the best "metal" amp out there and 3. the VT series don't really respond all that well with distortion pedals
i know this because i've got the VT50 and while it sounds nice with a slight overdrive from my screamin' blues pedal it didn't like my little big muff all that well so i got rid of that pedal.
Quote by guydudesonbro

I've never met a metal player that does it that way; the bridge gives you much more crunch and aggression where the neck is too rounded and since metal is usually all about aggression that's generally the tone you want.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I've never met a metal player that does it that way; the bridge gives you much more crunch and aggression where the neck is too rounded and since metal is usually all about aggression that's generally the tone you want.

That sounds kind of like the thing I was trying to say.. I'm really confused now How do you use the pick-up settings with respect to solo's, rhythm in general then?
Quote by guydudesonbro
That sounds kind of like the thing I was trying to say.. I'm really confused now How do you use the pick-up settings with respect to solo's, rhythm in general then?

Generally: rhythm, bridge; lead, neck. There are times when the bridge gets used in lead but I don't think I ever use the neck for rhythm. I don't even particularly like to use the neck for cleans, although it's better than just the bridge on its own.

Usually even the less in-your-face aggressive styles of metal like sludge, stoner and doom use the bridge pickup for rhythm and riffs

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Generally: rhythm, bridge; lead, neck. There are times when the bridge gets used in lead but I don't think I ever use the neck for rhythm. I don't even particularly like to use the neck for cleans, although it's better than just the bridge on its own.

Usually even the less in-your-face aggressive styles of metal like sludge, stoner and doom use the bridge pickup for rhythm and riffs

Yeah what you say makes a lot of sense, maybe I mixed them up since I myself use the bridge more for lead so it can slice right through the rhythm section in the music I make, which is usually a bit more mellow, because for that I use the neck/middle pick-ups.. Also, my bridge pick-up is either a single coil or P90, but even on full humbucker guitars like Les Pauls or ES models I still tend to use the neck pick-up for rhythm...

I guess it all depends on what kind of music you're into, and what tone you're looking for.

Anyways I still think the Ibanez guitars are good guitars to start with if you're into metal!