This isn't for me, but for my bass player (obviously).

It seems he's blown out his speakers and needs some new ones. Problem is, he's a GREAT bass player and improvisationalist, but he's indifferent about his tone for the most part so I didn't know where to start to suggest to him since I usually end up messing with his EQ.

Anyway, we play in a ska/punk band. He plays a GK Backline 210 with a 115 extension of the same make and model and plays a Schecter Stilletto IV fretless. He never uses his crunch channel and when he does it's only to mess around and, like I said, he's generally indifferent about his tone. But I guess if you want something to go off of, I really like Derek Gibbs' tone on the Reel Big Fish song "Party Down" so something really crisp with pretty good low-mids, I guess. If I'm using poor bass-tone words, let me know, I'm kind of a bass n00b.

TL;DR: I need suggestions for two 10" speakers for use in a ska band. Bassist doesn't use his crunch channel. Need something that sounds "crisp" I guess. Sorry for the text wall. Just throw suggestions out as there's no real budget.

Thanks for the help, UG
It sounds like the job for the Celestion Orange Labels.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Eminence Legend B102 should serve your friend very well. And at 200 watts per speaker, it would not be easy to fry them.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
What's the budget for this speaker replacement? Reason I ask is that the Backline amps aren't the best quality amp around and if it's blowing speakers now it wouldn't surprise me if it just up and blew the new ones as well (this is assuming the amp randomly blew the speakers. If he's looking for a better tone I'd have to recommend a new amp too.
To answer your above question 200 watt speakers wouldn't cause a problem as long as you match the impedances, I'm guessing if he runs an extension cab you'll be wanting two 16ohm speakers.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
What's the budget for this speaker replacement? Reason I ask is that the Backline amps aren't the best quality amp around and if it's blowing speakers now it wouldn't surprise me if it just up and blew the new ones as well (this is assuming the amp randomly blew the speakers. If he's looking for a better tone I'd have to recommend a new amp too.
To answer your above question 200 watt speakers wouldn't cause a problem as long as you match the impedances, I'm guessing if he runs an extension cab you'll be wanting two 16ohm speakers.

I'm trying to keep it at around $160 for both speakers. Maybe a little bit more. Which severely limits our options, I know, but we're all between 19-21 and my bass player doesn't have a job anymore since he's going to be going off to school here pretty soon.

And, for the record, I guess you could say they "Randomly" blew. He bought the amp, combo and cab, for about $300 off of a guy on craigslist and I think it's been through a couple of shows. Plus, we don't know how long the guy before my friend had it. So I'm guessing maybe it was just the speaker's time to go.
Quote by consecutive e

Can you explain that to me? I have two 1x15 8 ohm cabs rated at 200 watts, If I say plug a head that's 210 watts at 4 ohms would that be ok? and say the cab worked at 300 watts at 2 ohms so I got a 4 ohm cab at 200 watts are you saying it would it be ok? I've used combos for everything and now cabs are really confusing me.
If you run two 8-ohm cabinets at once, you've dropped the load to 4 ohms. If the cabinets are rated at 200 watts each and your amplifier puts out 210 watts, you should be just fine. If you replace the speakers with higher wattage speakers, then the cabinets will handle more power. Two 200-watt 10" speakers in a 2x10 cabinet or combo gives you a 400-watt rating at the speakers' impedance.

You are not likely to drop the load rating down to 2 ohms. Yes, a number of newer bass amps are designed to handle that, but even then I don't know of anyone who runs a 2-ohm load on a regular basis. You're just making the amplifier work too damned hard.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley