Title. I want to hear how some of you guys learned all the notes on the fretboard. Don't mistake this for me asking how to do it, I just want to hear some of the different strategies people have.
The marked frets for me, just remembered which one was which and would find other notes based on those.
nice question.

Use the dots above the frets (along the neck) to find your way.
Mostly it comes with practice and a general feel for the fretboard.
Try playing with your eyes closed too. When you can shred without looking at what your playing, you have learned the fretboard.

As for playing in key -so to speak- you really want to practice all kinds of scales and remember the finger-per-fret rule so as to include your pinky.

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Thank you for your words of wisdom.
Last edited by s-o-u-l-f-l-y at Jul 27, 2011,
I've been playing for about three years and I didn't start to learn the notes on the fretboard until I started making an effort to learn them, so I don't think it just comes naturally. As I said before, I wasn't asking because I wasn't sure how to go about it. I just wanted to know some of the different methods that people have had success with.
The thing that really ingrained the fretboard into my mind was a regular dose of reading standard notation.

There were visual cues and things, but reading regularly helped me alot.
shred is gaudy music
I use intervals, and the other strings, for reference

Ex:
D|--2---5--
A|--7--10--
E|--0---3---
Octaves make easy reference points

D|-----0
A|-0---5
E|-5--10
The way you tune the guitar makes it easy to remember as well
scales i found helped me the most and my students make great progress this way too.

if you take say the G major scale, build it on the 3 note per string base.

you then have

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------5----7----8
----------------------------------------------------------------5----7----8----------------
-------------------------------------------------4---5----7---------------------------------
----------------------------------4----5----7-------------------------------------------------
-----------------3----5----7-------------------------------------------------------------------
-3----5----7------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G....A....B...C...D....E

Remember the initial 3 dots of the E and A string as GAB for the E CDE for the A

then the next part of the scale instead of 457 go 579 on the D 579 on the G
and you have GAB CDE again, then for the B and E string go 8 10 12, 8 10 12.
then you have GAB CDE again.
remember those reference points then you have at least a starting point on each string.

as the post above as well, octave positions help so much too.
these are basically that but layed out in a scale relation format.
Last edited by Leigh01 at Jul 28, 2011,
Reading and scales are definately the most musical way to learn the fretboard. An exercise I show my students is to stick a metronome on at maybe 50bpm. Then, go up each sttring fret by fret naming the notes as you go. Sharps ascending and flats descending. Then do the same but going up each fret ie. E1, A1, D1, G1, B1, E1 then back down to the 6th string ie. E2, B2, G2, D2, A2, E2. Do this up to the 12th fret then back down. You can then make up variations where maybe you zigzag ie. E1, A2, D1, G2, B1, E2.

Hopefully the concept is easy to understand as its much better explained visually. I have ha d students go from zero knowledge of the notes on the fretboard to being pretty proficient within 3 or 4 weeks. The next step(or you could do this from the start) is to pick a note and find it everywhere on the fretboard. Again everytime the metronome clicks. A combination of a workout like this and some reading and scale practice and you will have the notes memorized in no time.
Andy