I need help. I came back from a 3 day vacation and my GF's little brother was using my guitars that he knows not to touch. They are in our room and he is 16 and usually a good kid. He was aying them and he said he thought I would find out, so he cleaned the guitar necks with some sort of Kitched or bathroom spray, now the wood on the neck is all white and almost chalky feeling. Besides rip his head off, how can I save this before trying anything on the guitars? Please help.
Sorry about the damage, I suggest you go easy on the kid, I have had experience with this before and it can really screw a person up, he probably feels bad enough as is.

Need some details first.

-What kind of guitar, and what kind of finish
-How many guitars
-What was the specific cleaner used (the exact name so the chemicals can be looked up)
-A more detailed description of the damages
Quote by Kenjisan231
Sorry about the damage, I suggest you go easy on the kid, I have had experience with this before and it can really screw a person up, he probably feels bad enough as is.

Need some details first.

-What kind of guitar, and what kind of finish
-How many guitars
-What was the specific cleaner used (the exact name so the chemicals can be looked up)
-A more detailed description of the damages

That was not funny what I said, I assure no harm to him.

They are both strats, rosewood. And it was Tilex cleaner.
I have no idea by what you mean 'that was not not funny what I said'. I was suggesting that you not yell at him, however I don't want this to turn into a debate about crime and punishment.

Unless I can see the actual pictures, it seems like the finish to the wood was damaged. I don't know a lot about wood work, but you can probably get it repaired from either a carpenter or a guitar shop. You may even be able to do it yourself. I can't imagine it will cost that much if its just the neck, but I could be wrong.

I would start by contacting a shop and speaking to the tech, as they probably have experience with this. Is the neck bolt on by chance? I have never owned a fender, or a strat like guitar so I would have no idea.
Also, this post may work better in the electric guitar section. The new member section does not get very much traffic, plus the people there may know more about the problem.
*moveded*
Quote by Bill43

I wouldn't know an Opeth song from an Egg McMuffin
Quote by wahappen
*moveded*

1969! You really are member #1!

Can we get pics of the damage?
Where's Waldo?
you need to condition that fretboard NOW. Use some plain lemon oil (and I mean PURE lemon oil, not pine sol.)
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The Tilex may have just discolored the oil that was already on top of the rosewood. You could try scrubbing it off with a kitchen scrubber (or even fine sandpaper) and some mineral oil.
Are you concerned about the neck or the fretboard?? It's hard to judge from the information you've given us..

If it's the neck (a finished surface) then it will be necessary to strip the finish from the neck. The chalkiness could be due to a chemical reaction from the finish/cleaner and will only get worse with time.

If it's the fretboard (unfinished surface) your best bet is to try and buff out the cleaner residue. Just take a clean cotton cloth and rub the hell outta the fretboard. After you remove most of the residue it wouldn't hurt to lightly condition the fretboard, but I would do this after you buff the residue out to prevent a potential reaction from taking place. The color change could be permanent, it sounds like the cleaner might've contained bleach or something similar and it stripped the wood of its color. If this ends up being the case you would have to dye the fretboard to return the color.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Jul 27, 2011,
Quote by Kenjisan231

no. off with his head.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
I think you're on your way to making a reliced guitar. It will probably never be the same as it was, but it might be just as good.
I bet 100 people are going to say "Dont use Water, James is an Idiot!" but I would do it. Water will dissolve and remove some of the chemicals that oil will not. I would also consider carefully using alcohol, depending on what other finishes are on the guitar. Both of these will leave the wood too dry, and you will need to replace the oils ASAP. Do not leave water, or especially alcohol, on the wood any longer than necessary, you're objective is only to wick out any absorbed chemicals.
My 16year old nephew lives with me and he knows NOT to touch my guitars under punishment of death although when he started to show an interest in my guitars i purchased him a cheap guitar and amp so he has no need to touch mine also he now understands how to look after guitars, best $250 bucks i ever spent.....!
it should be okay. take the strings off, apply lemon oil Dunlop 65 on it. Wipe it off and let it dry for a while then dap it with lemon oil again. If you catch it quick enough i think you should be okay.