So, I find myself with a bit of money(finally sold off a pair of PA speakers that I've been trying to get rid of for about a year) and a favor owed to me by a guy who knows about building amps. I think I might use that devil's combination to get myself a little tube amp built. I love the sound on the first Zeppelin record, and like all of you I'm sure, I've heard that it was done with a little Supro Thunderbolt, so I'm thinking about getting a clone made. I found the schematics, so that's no problem. That being said, anything we should be looking out for with this? Any big hurdles, problems, anything like that?
post the schematic and I'll try my best to help
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
I hate sideways PDF files, I can't rotate them, got a freakin' crick in my neck, lol, maybe I should have just printed it out.

Few notes:
  • If you change the tubes the power supply will need to change - the voltage drop is based on the current being drawn and if you change tubes the current draw changes. It's not something difficult to fix though.
  • Do you know what power transformer is used in the schematic? Because obviously if the schematic uses a 190-0-190 tranny and you put a 275-0-275 one in you're gonna blow something up :p
  • It might be worth setting the volume control to permanent 100% or 75% and instead putting a PPIMV in instead.
Ibanez WD7 Wah
On closer inspection, that power supply is very very strange... If you gave max plate voltage for the 6L6s (500V) then you're left with only 130V on the preamplifier stage, and the phase inverter has different plate voltages, which is quite odd as far as I'm aware.

Maybe it's just the quirks of the amp, but I wouldn't build it like that :p
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Ok, found some better supro clone schematics you may want to take a look at

Solid State Rectifier:
http://www.angelfire.com/mech/beansamps/schems/S6420.pdf

Tube Rectifier:
http://www.angelfire.com/mech/beansamps/schems/S6420TR.pdf

EDIT: Just a side note, the schema are from the same guy, but the one's I've linked are the improved and corrected versions
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Last edited by GABarrie at Jul 30, 2011,
Quote by GABarrie
I hate sideways PDF files, I can't rotate them, got a freakin' crick in my neck, lol, maybe I should have just printed it out.

Few notes:
  • If you change the tubes the power supply will need to change - the voltage drop is based on the current being drawn and if you change tubes the current draw changes. It's not something difficult to fix though.
  • Do you know what power transformer is used in the schematic? Because obviously if the schematic uses a 190-0-190 tranny and you put a 275-0-275 one in you're gonna blow something up :p
  • It might be worth setting the volume control to permanent 100% or 75% and instead putting a PPIMV in instead.

I checked Google, and this comes back when I'm looking for the power transformer: http://www.classictone.net/40-18060.html And yeah, thinking over it, changing the power tubes would be a stupid idea. Why mess with a good thing? Wouldn't setting the volume control to a permanent 100% kind of defeat the purpose of being able to adjust the volume? I don't just want this thing on full blast all the time.

Agreed by the way; I hate sideways schematics, but alas, all I could find.
no worries

They contain parts numbers/specs for the transformers too so they're great for sorting out your clone
Ibanez WD7 Wah