hi people, i need some help....i am trying to figure out what amp to buy, the current amp i have is a small 15 watt amp i got with my first guitar. i am a bit confused with all the alternatives

Budget? - £150

Genres? - Alternative, Rock, Indie..... Arctic monkeys, bloc party, franz Ferdinand sound.

New or Used? - Either

Home or Gig? - Gigging in relatively small venues (more often than not amps would be mic-ed up)

Closest City? - Sheffield, South Yorkshire UK

Current Gear? - Wesley Villier guitar (soon to be Fender squire Telecaster), Zoom GNX1 Multi Effects Pedal
Last edited by calvinapen at Jul 27, 2011,
What sound are you going for? any bands or guitarists you want to sound similar to? what guitar do you have?
---
I have quite a shitty guitar at the min but i am getting a Telecaster which i will be gigging with, plus i have a zoom gnx1 multi effects pedal......going for a warm sounding amp.
Quote by chadreed32
God damn it, will people ever ****ing learn!!!!

Dude, i am confused and here to learn, thats why i posted on a forum....so you making vague comments like that isn't helping. i am quite naive with all this technical stuff, all i know is i wanna play guitar.
Quote by calvinapen
Dude, i am confused and here to learn, thats why i posted on a forum....so you making vague comments like that isn't helping. i am quite naive with all this technical stuff, all i know is i wanna play guitar.

I was referring to this actually

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

I believe that general forum rules state that you should read all of the stickies before posting, so...

And I hope I didn't offend you in anyway, that's just the 5th time I've posted this today/yesterday.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
I was referring to this actually

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

I believe that general forum rules state that you should read all of the stickies before posting, so...

And I hope I didn't offend you in anyway, that's just the 5th time I've posted this today/yesterday.

No, you didn't,sorry about that. I am literally a few minutes old on this forum....thanks for the link its going to help a lot.
Quote by calvinapen
No, you didn't,sorry about that. I am literally a few minutes old on this forum....thanks for the link its going to help a lot.

Just fill that out if you want serious help, and you'll get some good recommendations as to what to get.

And welcome to UG.
Where's Waldo?
Budget? - £150

Genres? - Alternative, Rock, Indie..... Arctic monkeys, bloc party, franz Ferdinand sound.

New or Used? - Either

Home or Gig? - Gigging in relatively small venues (more often than not amps would be mic-ed up)

Current Gear? - Wesley Villier guitar (soon to be Fender squire Telecaster), Zoom GNX1 Multi Effects Pedal
Maybe a used Vox AC15? I've heard those are really good for Indie stuff.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
Maybe a used Vox AC15? I've heard those are really good for Indie stuff.

thanks i will take a look.... would that be loud enough do you think?
Well, its 15 Watt, all tube, and you said it will be mic'ed most of the time, and in relatively small venues, so it should be for the most part.
Where's Waldo?
we should have one day every week when the UGers recite the stickies
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by OliOsbourne

They'd have to make a sticky for that, and since nobody reads them, nobody would know about it.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
They'd have to make a sticky for that, and since nobody reads them, nobody would know about it.

I'm sure that they can make a pop-up

ON topic

I'm sure you can get a fender mustang or a roland cube
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Last edited by OliOsbourne at Jul 27, 2011,
what do you think about these amps?

Vox Valvetronix AD30Vt

Epiphone Firefly 30 DSP

Do you reckon they will do the job and which one would you pick for the genre i told you?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erKaCn2wgLw

Watch this and the other videos
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Consider the Peavey Classic 30 or 50. I have had a Classic 50, 2x12 combo amp for about 20 years and it is spectacular. No, it isn't the best sounding amp ever, but they can be found for very good prices used, they do have the warm sound you mentioned, and pedals work great with them since the clean channel is so nice (your Zoom would do well). The gain channel is good for blues/indie stuff. For heavier tones you can just add an overdrive pedal on about 50% gain and it sounds nice turned up. They are well built and can take some abuse...at least the old style can not sure if the new style is as well made. And they are made in USA instead of China, etc.
Quote by OliOsbourne

+1....but if everyone knew the stickies the forum might as well be dead because im sure they answer about 80% of questions
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by calvinapen
hi people, i need some help....i am trying to figure out what amp to buy, the current amp i have is a small 15 watt amp i got with my first guitar. i am a bit confused with all the alternatives

Budget? - £150

New or Used? - Either

Not to sound like an Vox rep

Considering your budget a Vox TV40+ is well worth looking at you might also want to look at a Peavy Vypyr 3.

IMHO I think the Vox sounds less digital than the Peavy. Everything else that's within your budget isn't even worth considering...
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by Willowthewitch
Not to sound like an Vox rep

Considering your budget a Vox TV40+ is well worth looking at you might also want to look at a Peavy Vypyr 3.

IMHO I think the Vox sounds less digital than the Peavy. Everything else that's within your budget isn't even worth considering...

i found a Vox Valvetronix AD30VT that i am gonna try out tomorrow. is well within my price range and in mint condition

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/vox-valvetronix-ad30vt/79686472/gallery#gallery-item-full-1
Quote by OliOsbourne
I'm sure that they can make a pop-up

ON topic

I'm sure you can get a fender mustang or a roland cube

Fender mustangs are horrible. Fender makes a big deal about all the cool things you can do when you hook one of them up to your computer.

This is also a huge problem. To get a Fender Mustang to do much of anything it has to be tethered to the computer.

I'm not a fan or Roland cubes they sound way to digital for my taste.

If those were the only choices which they aren't. A Roland cube is about a million times better than a Fender Mustang

EDIT:
Quote by calvinapen
i found a Vox Valvetronix AD30VT that i am gonna try out tomorrow. is well within my price range and in mint condition

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/vox-valvetronix-ad30vt/79686472/gallery#gallery-item-full-1

The TS is looking at an AD30VT that looks to be in excellent shape.

It's selling for $150 US even if the TS decides they don't like it would be super easy to flip maybe even make a little on the flip

The only people who don't put Vox Valvetronix amps at the top of the list for "non tube" amps are people who have never used one.

That little tube in the pre-amp does wonderful things in terms of making Valvetronix amps sound less digital than other modeling amps.

The Peavy Vypyr series sounds more digital than a Valvetronix. They also don't take pedals all that well but the Sanpera foot controller makes up for that short coming for the most part.

All the other modelers don't even come close
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Last edited by Willowthewitch at Jul 28, 2011,
I've heard some really good things about the mustangs tho
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by OliOsbourne
I've heard some really good things about the mustangs tho

Did you actually read what I posted about what the "problem" is with Mustang amps?

They can do all kinds of really cool things when you hook them up to a computer.

The problem is they're pretty much door stops when they aren't hooked up to the computer.

EDIT:

The Fuse software is the center piece of the Mustang amp series.

It's also the Achilles heel of the Mustang amp series.

Fender mustang amps are almost totally dependent on the fuse software.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Last edited by Willowthewitch at Jul 28, 2011,
tried out the vox ad30vt, when walked in the room i feel in love. it winked at me and i just melted lol. it works great with my pedal, and it sounds so natural and suited to what i play it was perfect. So i bought it....... £ 90 and it looks brand new. last owner was given it and he is a bass player so he didnt need it.
Last edited by calvinapen at Jul 29, 2011,
Quote by Willowthewitch
Did you actually read what I posted about what the "problem" is with Mustang amps?

They can do all kinds of really cool things when you hook them up to a computer.

The problem is they're pretty much door stops when they aren't hooked up to the computer.

EDIT:

The Fuse software is the center piece of the Mustang amp series.

It's also the Achilles heel of the Mustang amp series.

Fender mustang amps are almost totally dependent on the fuse software.

lol, I honestly don't know anything about the fuse software. I just listen to what other people tell me
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by Willowthewitch
Did you actually read what I posted about what the "problem" is with Mustang amps? They can do all kinds of really cool things when you hook them up to a computer. The problem is they're pretty much door stops when they aren't hooked up to the computer. EDIT: The Fuse software is the center piece of the Mustang amp series. It's also the Achilles heel of the Mustang amp series. Fender mustang amps are almost totally dependent on the fuse software.
You only need to have it hooked up if you're modelling or fine-tuning your tones. Also, the Mustang III and up shouldn't require to be connected, because they have a screen on them -- though they are out of OP's price range.

But on the I and II, once you have your tones set as you want them and saved onto the amp, all you'll need to do is adjust treble and bass for room-specific EQ anyways.

Now as much as I love Vox (love my Pathfinder, love my Coiled Cord, love the Beatles early stuff :P) I have to say that the VT series was disappointing. There's some sort of white noise that appears with and decays with every note -- on the old and the new models.

I have not tried the Cube or the Vypyr series modelling amps; however, they seem more geared towards distortion rather than what the OP is looking for.

If you don't mind the 'fizz', the VT series has great tones nonetheless.
Quote by calvinapen
tried out the vox ad30vt, when walked in the room i feel in love. it winked at me and i just melted lol. it works great with my pedal, and it sounds so natural and suited to what i play it was perfect. So i bought it....... £ 90 and it looks brand new. last owner was given it and he is a bass player so he didnt need it.
Sounds fun man, glad you're happy. The AC15 and AC30 models are great on those things and sound just right for your style.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Last edited by muso_catolico at Jul 29, 2011,
Quote by muso_catolico

Now as much as I love Vox (love my Pathfinder, love my Coiled Cord, love the Beatles early stuff :P) I have to say that the VT series was disappointing. There's some sort of white noise that appears with and decays with every note -- on the old and the new models.

I have not tried the Cube or the Vypyr series modelling amps; however, they seem more geared towards distortion rather than what the OP is looking for.

If you don't mind the 'fizz', the VT series has great tones nonetheless.Sounds fun man, glad you're happy. The AC15 and AC30 models are great on those things and sound just right for your style.

I own a Vox VT and I must be suffering from extreme hearing loss or something? Because far as I can tell "the fizz" only shows up and can be hear on about 4 of the 33 amp models in manual mode.

The reason that Roland and Peavy modelers emphasize distortion is they can cover it the digital fizz with gain.

It's clear you have limited or no real world experience with Fender Mustang amps.

You can't do something as simple turning a stomp box effect on or off without saving two presets.

That pretty much kills your foot controller because neither the Mustang I and II can use anything other than the 1 button foot controller...

Off topic

The Mustang I is a crap amp. The same goes for almost all the lowest end modelers the Vypyr 15 and Cube 15 I'll even toss in the Marshall MG15DFX. They're all cheap crap intended to hit the magic number of $100 price point.

Getting a Mustang II is getting a POS Mustang I that sounds twice as crappy because it has twice as many watts to sound crappy with.

The only "lower end" modeler that doesn't suffer from the cut corners to meet the $100 US price point.

Are Vox Valvetronix amps with the AD15VT in 2006 The VT15 in 2008 and the VT20+ in 2010

They have the same features as their bigger brothers
EDIT:
Back on topic.

With a budget of $250 American. The Vox Valvetronix IMHO pretty much the best in terms of playing your guitar and playing with your amp.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Last edited by Willowthewitch at Jul 31, 2011,