Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 LS100 Half Stack
Dunlop SW30 Slash Signature Wah
Digitech Hardwire CR-7 Stereo Chorus
Digitech Hardwire DL-8 Delay/Looper
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Fender CD220CE Acoustic
Not sure if serious....

I've always seen the riff as a motif used in a musical phrase to be repeated. Often using the lower bottom strings. A lick (I've always thought) was a sweet scale variant that compliments the main riff, and more often than not is associated with the higher strings.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Quote by sloppyjoe24
Not sure if serious....

I've always seen the riff as a motif used in a musical phrase to be repeated. Often using the lower bottom strings. A lick (I've always thought) was a sweet scale variant that compliments the main riff, and more often than not is associated with the higher strings.

ty bro =)
Not necessarily like this, but a riff would be the rhythm to the song, and solos, fills, and other things would be composed of many licks.

I.e.
Riff
-----------------
------------------
-------------------
-------------------
2-----------2-----
0-0-0-0-0-0-0---

Lick
-15-14-12------------14b15-----
-----------15-14-12-------
-----------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Where's Waldo?
I would say that a riff is a definite part of a song, like a written section that is always the same whereas a lick is a string of canned notes that you know work in certain ways and you can use in improvisation and solos.

Of course then you have to differentiate between rhythm riffs and lead riffs but that line gets very blurred in a lot of music anyway.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Riff- repeats in song
Lick-quick phrase that in most songs appears once.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

for some reason i would consider the trill part of the trooper a lick but the galloping part a riff
I think a riff is the main theme/ rhythm for the song and a lick is a short melodic phrase used in soloing and such?
I treat a 'lick' as a particular melodic phrase, whereas a 'riff' is a particular rhythmic phrase.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by Dayn
I treat a 'lick' as a particular melodic phrase, whereas a 'riff' is a particular rhythmic phrase.

This is the best answer so far I think.