So, I'm 19 going on 20, attending technical school. And for the longest time (about a year now, or longer depending on where you start counting), I've been working my ass off looking for a job. And I have literally heard nothing from anywhere I've applied. The only time I get an interview is if I call the place I apply at and practically beg for one, then they usually ask me over and give me some bullshit minute-long interview and tell me "We'll let you know, we have a lot of applicants for this position, bla bla bla". Basically just patronize me and waste my time.

Are there any tricks I don't know? People keep giving me the same old "it's rough out there these days, just keep trying" bullshit, but it just feels like I'm doing something wrong. I have a lot of friends that seem to have a hell of a lot easier time finding jobs, and I'm sure a few of them just have good connections or whatever, but it's like I'm cursed or something. I seem to have the worst luck. It makes me feel bad about myself, because I'm tired of completely depending on family for gas and food money, you know?

Any advice?
Step one: Walk into prospective work place dressed well
Step two: Ask manager for application
Step three: Fill out application and turn it in online or preferably in person
Step four: Call everyday thereafter and check on the status of your application
Step five: Congratulations, you're making minimum wage doing retail bitch work
Quote by RU Experienced?

Persistence is key, I had to go in and speak to the manager 4 times before they finally hired me. Being a pain in the ass can pay off.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Get A 7-5
Make 300+
Buy Sweet Shit
Get Pussy
?????
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Make a really good resume, and practice good interview skills. Do some research on the company you'll be interviewed at. So if they ask you the question "why do you want to work here?", which they probably will, you'll have some pre-thought of answer planned.

The current job I'm at now, which I just started 2 months ago, and this is the career I want to be in (automotive mechanic), I wasn't interviewed by the manager who I was supposed to be interviewed by (since he got injured the day before). Instead I was interviewed by the shop foreman. Who, according to the manager, is not easily impressed, but was I was able to impress. And he told the manager he should definitely hire me. And I actually started off making a couple bucks an hour more than they normally start people at.

So know how to answer questions in the right way, and you'll do fine.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
1. Walk into store
2. Ask for Application
3. Fill out Applicition
4. Turn in Application
5. ?????
6. Profit!
Quote by sglover34479
No restaurants. Unless you have a deep passion for food, don't.

Too much dignity for washing dishes and taking food orders? TS is looking for a minimum wage job.
Quote by alexgepgepgep

That site has been my best friend since I started looking....

Quote by RU Experienced?

Most places around here, they won't give you an application in person, they just tell you to go online and do it. At least in my experience.

And I usually call, at least if it's a place I'm genuinely interested in working at, but I have to admit that I don't do it every day. More like once a week, or at the most every other day. Maybe that's my problem. It just feels like that's overdoing it, but again I'm not having a lot of success, so...

Quote by Koshman32
Make a really good resume, and practice good interview skills. Do some research on the company you'll be interviewed at. So if they ask you the question "why do you want to work here?", which they probably will, you'll have some pre-thought of answer planned.

The current job I'm at now, which I just started 2 months ago, and this is the career I want to be in (automotive mechanic), I wasn't interviewed by the manager who I was supposed to be interviewed by (since he got injured the day before). Instead I was interviewed by the shop foreman. Who, according to the manager, is not easily impressed, but was I was able to impress. And he told the manager he should definitely hire me. And I actually started off making a couple bucks an hour more than they normally start people at.

So know how to answer questions in the right way, and you'll do fine.

I envy you, you're in the field I'm going into. Or at least trying to. But at this point I've pretty much given up on automotive jobs until I get a couple ASEs and a little more experience.
To be honest it's really all about who you know, not how great of a resume you can put together. I'm in the same situation, and people who are half as smart, and a hell of a lot lazier then me can find a job a week after they start trying, but I've applied to every store and restaurant in the area in the past few months, and even signed up with the local temp agencies and I haven't gotten a single job offer yet.
Quote by RU Experienced?

I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Quote by CaptDin
I envy you, you're in the field I'm going into. Or at least trying to. But at this point I've pretty much given up on automotive jobs until I get a couple ASEs and a little more experience.

I was getting to the point where I thought I'd never find a job in this field unless I went to school and got my pre-apprenticeship. But then I got hired here, and even better, it's at a Ford dealership! And they'll pay for me to go to school and everything like that. So no complaints from me.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by bendystraw
Too much dignity for washing dishes and taking food orders? TS is looking for a minimum wage job.

Not at all, in fact I do it quite a bit lol. But unless you're in a position in a restaurant that requires a lot of skill and/or schooling, like cooking, then you're going to be treated like crap. Assuming TS is pretty young as well, another reason he won't get much respect. I was simply warning him that a minimum wage job in a restaurant is going to be a lot of crappy job on top of crappy treatment for minimum wage. There's so many better minimum wage jobs out there.
Quote by sglover34479
Not at all, in fact I do it quite a bit lol. But unless you're in a position in a restaurant that requires a lot of skill and/or schooling, like cooking, then you're going to be treated like crap. Assuming TS is pretty young as well, another reason he won't get much respect. I was simply warning him that a minimum wage job in a restaurant is going to be a lot of crappy job on top of crappy treatment for minimum wage. There's so many better minimum wage jobs out there.

agreed. Restaurants can be absolute torture, and the hours can be horrendous. I used to work 8am-1pm then 5pm-2am split shifts for days on end. 5 hours in between shifts to get home, sleep, get up and back to work, and then a 4 hour break for a quick nap in the afternoon. They didn't even always give me meals. It was beyond shit.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Ask everywhere. Go to job centre, if there is such a thing in the states. Ask everywhere. Read newspapers/websites.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Get a recommendation from a family member or friend's workplace.

Absolute best way to get a job.
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
It's really about persistence, and luck even. Put a few applications in at a few places, call up on all of them, and in 2 weeks put in another application. Keep spamming the managers tray of recent applications, and you will stick his/her mind.

Also, a lot of it is confidence, go in there KNOWING you are going to get the job, because your the shit. When it comes to actually having the job, work hard, and they will be sure to hire you back in years to come.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Practice your interview skills. I did tons of embarrassing mock interviews over the years and nowadays I know with 100% certainty that if I can manage to get an interview, I'm guaranteed a job offer.
With minimun wage jobs it's becoming more often than not, who you know.

Ask around your family and friends to see if they know anyone that's really hiring and see if they can put in a good word for you.

Love the Low end
Go round to somebody's house and say you'll clean up or something for money. It's cash in hand and you don't pay tax on it. 100% profit.
Sell drugs.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Look for fulltime work at a place that has a high turnover rate. I just recently got a job at a call center doing tech support for AT&T. I didn't know a thing about doing tech support. They train you for 3 weeks (full time, do nothing and get paid for those three weeks) then you work. I'm doing 10am-7pm mon-fri. It's not the best job in the world, but it's easy (if you can handle people yelling at you.) and pays minimum, which works out to be about $800 every two weeks.

Or get in somewhere with a long training period, then quit after training. Then find a new place to do it, repeat. No work, lots of useless skills!
1996 Fender American Telecaster
Schecter Omen 6
VOX AC-15
Alvarez PF2005
1985 PROCO RAT II
BOSS DS-1, DD3, SD-1, TU-3, NS-2
Danelectro Overdrive
Jimi Hendrix Wah
EHX LPB-1
MXR Supercomp
Be prepared to set your sites a little lower than what you want, it's easier to hop from one job to another, whilst in work, than jack in your job, and try to find another
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
It's really about persistence, and luck even. Put a few applications in at a few places, call up on all of them, and in 2 weeks put in another application. Keep spamming the managers tray of recent applications, and you will stick his/her mind.

Also, a lot of it is confidence, go in there KNOWING you are going to get the job, because your the shit. When it comes to actually having the job, work hard, and they will be sure to hire you back in years to come.

All right then. Give me an example of what you would say when you call. I usually just say something like "Hi, I put in an application a while back, and I'm wondering if the position has been filled yet" or something like that. Anything better to go by?

Part of it could be my interview skills. I'm already somewhat socialphobic by nature, it's not easy to do things like that for me.
what got me a few interviews and eventually mightve helped me get a job is to attach a cover letter to the paper applications that you turn in. Itll give you a little something that makes you stick out from everyone else and you can talk about stuff that there isnt place for on an application. Just keep it short, like 3 or 4 paragraphs about yourself. Also, do what everyone else is saying about persistence
Quote by sglover34479
No restaurants. Unless you have a deep passion for food, don't.

The restaurant industry is easily the best place to make a lot of money in a short amount of time, and it's easy, easy work. TS, go for a busing job. Easy way to break into working in restaurants and it's easy to move up to food runner and eventually waiter (where the real money is). It's the decision between that and sitting behind a register all day, occasionally stocking shelves.

As far as applying goes, you just have to dress well, have a lot of confidence, and always talk to managers. Never seem too casual, and always answer questions as fast and with the most confidence that you can (stay away from "uh").
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
My dad's a health inspector around here, so he's always talking to restaurant managers and finds out if they're hiring. That's how I got my job at a restaurant...although it sucks as I get less than 10 hours a week, the staff is awesome....but it's bullshit work hours.

In short...find someone who can get you in lol (possibly a friend who already works there)
Quote by CullenT

The restaurant industry is easily the best place to make a lot of money in a short amount of time, and it's easy, easy work. TS, go for a busing job. Easy way to break into working in restaurants and it's easy to move up to food runner and eventually waiter (where the real money is). It's the decision between that and sitting behind a register all day, occasionally stocking shelves.

As far as applying goes, you just have to dress well, have a lot of confidence, and always talk to managers. Never seem too casual, and always answer questions as fast and with the most confidence that you can (stay away from "uh").

People give me the "no uh" advice all the time, but dammit, it's practically impossible. Sometimes it's like my mouth just can't keep up with my brain, and the "uh" is like the "now loading" screen.
Quote by CaptDin
People give me the "no uh" advice all the time, but dammit, it's practically impossible. Sometimes it's like my mouth just can't keep up with my brain, and the "uh" is like the "now loading" screen.

I completely get what you mean. It's just something you have to break through. It shows you have people skills and that you won't have any problems interacting in the work place. It may sound cheesy, but go look up typical interview questions online and practice your answers in the mirror. You won't care how dumb it looks when you're rolling in the benjamins.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
I've applied for two jobs in my life. One at a music store, and one at a gym,landed both, I took the one at a gym because of convenience. The few constants I found in my application process were that they were jobs that I had a background in (high school sports jock thing, guitar playing and keyboard). Also, I applied in person, greeted, shook hands, and smiled at every employee I could. Finally, I did volunteer work all throughout high school, which I really think set me apart.

A) Go for jobs you may have some knowledge about.
B) Greet everyone, especially managers, with a smile and handshake.
C) Your a jobless bum anyway, go do some volunteer work.