Page 1 of 2
This question came to me while at church (flame shield activated).

But lets take it out of that setting and apply it to charity in it's entirety. Think about it, do you really give without trying to feel better about yourself? Make yourself look good to others? Do you give because someone is telling you to? If those commercials with sickly African children or adorable dogs and kittens didn't come on t.v., would you even care? Do you even give to charity?

Also, what charities do you give money to?

Discuss
I let a bee sting me. He can look tough in front of all his bee friends, and i'm in pain.
Yeah totally, celebrities do it all the time for promotion and self-image.

I also think guilt tripping to achieve charity is wrong as well. There's a difference between exposure and increasing awareness and making people for bad about something they're not responsible for.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by WaterGod
You're saying people shouldn't feel good from doing good????

No?
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
I think I would, if I could, because frankly in the end I believe it'll come as an advantage to all of humanity.

Plus, I'm not very materialistic, so I'd be cool with losing all the money I've received since I started my summer job to charity. It would make me feel like I've actually accomplished something useful.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Coltrane

The apple always falls close to the tree, but the tree always falls on the power lines.
I think there are people who give to help others out. Them feeling good about about themselves is just a result of giving, not the objective. But of course there are still those who give so that they can feel self-righteous.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by bendystraw
I let a bee sting me. He can look tough in front of all his bee friends, and i'm in pain.

It died, you know.
Quote by WaterGod
You're saying people shouldn't feel good from doing good????

I'm saying is this the ONLY reason you give to charity. If so, then it's not a selfless act.
Yeah true altruism doesn't really exist.
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan
Don't you have some tourists to beat up?

Quote by Zoot Allures
Nah he's too busy feeling like a big man hitting women he knows to 'put them in their place'.
Humanity has been pondering this question for ages.. If you're asking what I think you're asking, which is:

Is it possible to commit a truly selfless act?

Celebrities donating to charities, as mentioned above, often do it to promote their image, therefore it can't be considered selfless. A lot of philanthropists will donate because it makes them feel good, which again, isn't selfless.
Methinks not.
Quote by i_am_teh_walrus
It died, you know.

You know how we celebrate the bravery of war "heroes" who die in combat? So do bees.
Last edited by RU Experienced? at Jul 27, 2011,
i donate to the food bank at christmas time. i dont do it to look good. i just do it.
My sig? Nice.
Quote by BurningTurkey
i donate to the food bank at christmas time. i dont do it to look good. i just do it.

Oh, I guess that settles that then.
I should also add that in the end, the kid(s) in the third world countries don't give a shit if you're sincere or not about it. They're just glad to be getting free clothing and food and that's what's important. Same goes with the cancer patient whose treatment you are funding. All that matters is that these people in need are receiving what they need whether it's an empty gesture or not.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
The only way it could be a truly selfless act would be if you didn't care about the money or the people you were helping or anything else involved in giving the money. You would pretty much have to care for nothing and be a dead shell of a human being. Even if you tried to rationalized some how not caring about anything involved in the process to any extent, you'd still be getting something out of it for that reason of proving it means nothing to you, making it no longer a selfless act. Yeah. Cough.
I donate my old clothes to people, but I do to get rid of old clothes.
you're a stone fox
Quote by RU Experienced?
Methinks not.

You know how we celebrate the bravery of war "heroes" who die in combat? So do bees.

It's not a war hero if there wasn't a war.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

When giving a charitable donation of any amount, I never think about how I feel when I do it, I do it because I support the cause and think it is the right thing to do.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by homeless-john
Yes.

BUT, can you eat your own head?

Depends which head you're talking about
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan
Don't you have some tourists to beat up?

Quote by Zoot Allures
Nah he's too busy feeling like a big man hitting women he knows to 'put them in their place'.
Quote by Eric_Fail
Depends which head you're talking about

...does it really?
My sig? Nice.
of course it's possible. an example of what really isn't is when asshole companies pull that "buy our product and we'll donate a portion to a charity" if they actually gave a ****, they'd donate all the proceeds
I don't think anything has ever done anything 0% for themselves, there is always some sort of alterior motive, not saying its a bad thing but how many people would truly be giving their money away if they didn't somehow feel better after doing it.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Tell that to Vietnam vets.

I suppose we can call them cold war vets
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by jakesmellspoo
of course it's possible. an example of what really isn't is when asshole companies pull that "buy our product and we'll donate a portion to a charity" if they actually gave a ****, they'd donate all the proceeds

That's actually a brilliant marketing strategy.
Quote by son_of_bodom
I'm saying is this the ONLY reason you give to charity. If so, then it's not a selfless act.

.... No.
Quote by RU Experienced?
That's actually a brilliant marketing strategy.

it's exactly why they do it. under the guise that they're helping people by donating a fraction of the sales of one product, people buy more of that product than usual, and they undoubtedly make more money in the end, regardless of what they lose from what they give to charity. it's not that far off from going door to door with a coffee can asking for donations for charity, then pocketing half of it
Meh, honestly I don't care about charity at all, and even if I had loads of money, I still would not give it away, I mean wtf, poor people are just striving for attention, they can ****ing die for all that I know. Why can't they like, spend a quarter on a soda or something, that'll keep them alive I guess, or if they are that hungry, order food or someshit, **** the homeless, spending their day with their ass on the couch watching cable, **** that shit.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Quote by BurningTurkey

Same, we also donate food on Thanksgiving, 4th of July, and Easter.

We don't do it to make ourselves feel good, we do it because there are people who could use that food, because they are less fortunate than us.

We, as in me and my family, we all pitch in.

I give a lot of time and money into playing in the church band, which I don't do it because it's fun, or cool, I do it because I feel like it helps people at church.
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Jul 27, 2011,
Quote by ethan_hanus
Same, we also donate food on Thanksgiving, 4th of July, and Easter.

We don't do it to make ourselves feel good, we do it because there are people who could use that food, because they are less fortunate than use.

We, as in me and my family, we all pitch in.

I give a lot of time and money into playing in the church band, which I don't do it because it's fun, or cool, I do it because I feel like it helps people at church.

**** your church
Quote by ethan_hanus
I'm guessing you're an atheist, and a dick. Glad to know you care.

i care about my dick very much, and i'm a pastafarian, not an atheist
Quote by jakesmellspoo
i care about my dick very much, and i'm a pastafarian, not an atheist

Ok, why don't you keep your hate to yourself? I don't want to hear how much you hate my church, you don't even know me, how can you hate anything to do with me?
Quote by RU Experienced?
Methinks not.

The correct answer is: Damn! *hangs up phone*
Page 1 of 2