I bought my first electric(Schecter Tempest Standard) 3 months ago. I didn't buy a more expensive guitar because I didn't know if I'd like the electric or not. It turns out I really enjoy playing, so much so I can't stop looking at new guitars. I'm highly considering purchasing a Gibson SG 61 reissue. My question to vets around here is, am I making a mistake getting a 2nd electric this soon? Would I be better to somehow hold myself back from purchasing this and waiting?
What kind of amp do you have?
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Wait a while, your preferences of guitars will change, and you might regret spending all this money on a guitar that you dislike.
Gear
-Fender HSS MiM Deluxe Strat
-Guitar Research T30r Tube amp
Boss Overdrive/Distortion OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss BF-2 Flanger
SKB PS-8 8-Port 9VDC Powered Pedalboard
Ovation Applause AE-128
Manuel Rodriguez Caballero 11
What amp you got?

Quote by static_music34
your guitar doesn't exist, apparently

good one...
:Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
Get yourself a decent amp first and maybe a few effects pedals. Once you have all of your stuff then it'll be alright to get more of things you already have =)
ESP LTD MH-53

(Soon to get) Peavey Bandit 112

Digitech: RP 55
I'd definitely get a new amp first unless your current guitar is really uncomfortable.
If you've got the cash go nuts man. The only thing is just make sure you consider the two rookie mistakes most new guitar players make when buying a guitar:

1) Don't think the guitar will make you any better. John Petrucci could still shred our faces off on a Squier and it works the same in reverse. Most people develop thier chops on a shittier guitar first.

2) Consider the tonal posibilities of the instrument. By this I mean buy a guitar that suits your playing style. If you play a lot of leads and the music you listen to uses the 24th fret, don't buy an SG. I play metal so I bought a 7-string instead of another 6-string guitar I wanted and Im thankful everyday I did. I can't tell you how many times I have got in to a new band (Periphery for instance) only to discover they use 7-strings. So do some research first and make sure you don't blow your cash on the wrong guitar.

Otherwise happy spending!
Out of topic... has Gibson ever made something with 7 strings?

Quote by static_music34

good one...
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
amp,

and then just make sure you're more into playing guitar than you are into guitars...
---
Personally, I think you should wait until you've learned guitar an learned ABOUT guitars first. There are so many different variables involved in the way a guitar sounds that going in uninformed could be a huge drawback later. Save your money to buy a nice amp or an even nicer guitar.

What kind of amp do you have?
You have a pretty nice guitar for a beginner. All that time you're spending looking at new guitars you could be practicing.

If anything get a better amp or some pedals.
2009 Ibanez RG3EXFM1
2003 Ibanez RG220B
Line 6 Spider III 75
Quote by HectorBznRg

Yes.

They have a rather shit looking V and an awesome looking explorer.

They've made 7S LP's before, though...
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by HectorBznRg

Im not sure for commercial purposes, but I know Gibson made Matt Heafy from Trivium a custom 7-string Explorer and its ****ing sexy.
Quote by shredder3386
Im not sure for commercial purposes, but I know Gibson made Matt Heafy from Trivium a custom 7-string Explorer and its ****ing sexy.

Guitargasm...

Back to topic, is this boy planning on mentioning his/her amp...?

Quote by static_music34

good one...
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
amp is far more important than guitar....

i have a squier with duncan designed hot rails, and an epiphone custom with active emg's....

they both sound great through my marshall jcm2000dsl....i really cant tell much of a difference...meanwhile if i play something through my mg, it sounds like angry bees.

however, if you have a vast amount of money, after you get a nicer amp, go for it...

also, buy used, find good deals...that way you buy it, play it, enjoy it, and you can resell it for about the same if you dont like it
Quote by shredder3386

.........whhhoaaa...

and I'm not even a explorer fan and thats sexy......
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
Quote by HectorBznRg

epiphone made a 7-string les paul for 1 year not too long ago
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
i dont think you should be getting a new guitar that early.. unless your guitar is seriously unplayable or something. I've been playing a year and i'm still using the same guitar just with a few effects and a somewhat better amp. Just my opinion anyway.
yeah,I wouldn't worry about a new guitar yet
It was about 2 years I think before I bought a second guitar,and I got and instrument that serves me well to this very day
Get a nice sized amp instead,and put together a band!
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Amp over new guitar any day, The sound comes from the amp, how you play comes from your guitar.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Quote by jwoodbury3571
I bought my first electric(Schecter Tempest Standard) 3 months ago. I didn't buy a more expensive guitar because I didn't know if I'd like the electric or not. It turns out I really enjoy playing, so much so I can't stop looking at new guitars. I'm highly considering purchasing a Gibson SG 61 reissue. My question to vets around here is, am I making a mistake getting a 2nd electric this soon? Would I be better to somehow hold myself back from purchasing this and waiting?

Unfortunately, I am no vet, so my advice is probably useless.
If you have the money, get the guitar.
At the end of the day, it is your money, so it's your choice.
If you want a new guitar cause you don't like the sound, then consider buying an amp or new pickups.
If you like the SG for its looks, then get it. Play with the SG, use the Schecter as a backup or something.
Hope it helps
If you're going to spend a good bit of money, I would spend it on an AMP if you don't have a solid amp. A really solid amp will make most guitars sound pretty damn good! A '61 reissue wont sound as good on a shitty amp.
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP M-II
Jackson KingV
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50
Marshall Mode Four

Gas List
Gibson Firebird
It depends WHY you want a new guitar. Don't get a new guitar just for the sake of it if what you have is fine.
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
Thanks for all the responses guys. My amp is a Fender Mustang III. What do you guys consider that amp to be? crappy, middle range?
Quote by jwoodbury3571
Thanks for all the responses guys. My amp is a Fender Mustang III. What do you guys consider that amp to be? crappy, middle range?

I only have a Roland Cube 15x. Now that is crappy. A Mustang III would be my next choice (and will be my next investment)before going to tubes because of the endless possibilities to experiment at little cost while discovering my musical interests/preferences.
Just because I have some strong opinions doesn't mean I agree with everything I say.
As many people said, it is never too early. in my case, I started off with this crappy piece of wood that was a knockoff of a knock off. it was such a bad guitar that it couldnt be tuned. It sounded so bad that i couldnt tell if i sucked or if i was good. then a month or two later, a deal for an electric guitar came up and i bought it fast. then when i transfered everytrhing i knew to that guitar, i realized i didnt suck. it was all because of the last guiatr. if you have a piece of crap then go for it. if you have a good one though(damn you spoiled-ass rich kids..) then wait. itd be a waste of money if you started off with a gibson.
The Overflow+READ=zombies.

"if the individual has the right to govern himself, all external government is tyranny." -Benjamin R Tucker
I'd get an amp first then a new guitar in a few months. The more you play, you find what you like in a guitar, and what you want to get right now might not suit your needs down the road.
if your preference in genres is wide, then i suggest u get a second guitar. never to early, but i usually hold on investments unless im SURE i want it and/or can find use for it
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by griffin888
I'd get an amp first then a new guitar in a few months. The more you play, you find what you like in a guitar, and what you want to get right now might not suit your needs down the road.

The same can be said about an amp IMHO.
He has a very good and versatile modelling amp at this point. He could/should stick with it (and his guitar) for a while.
Just because I have some strong opinions doesn't mean I agree with everything I say.
How long have you been playing again...?
do you REALLY know what you like and where you want to be?

Quote by static_music34

good one...
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
Quote by itz_neek
Wait a while, your preferences of guitars will change, and you might regret spending all this money on a guitar that you dislike.

THIS a couple thousand times over.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
I'd say rather get a good amp first, like a roland cube 40xl, which should have enough effects to keep you busy for some time. After playing and learning for some time and identifying the kind of sound you want to produce when playing guitar, you can look into buying another one.
Quote by mielieHobo
I'd say rather get a good amp first, like a roland cube 40xl, which should have enough effects to keep you busy for some time. After playing and learning for some time and identifying the kind of sound you want to produce when playing guitar, you can look into buying another one.

He's got a Mustang III which has a veritable smorgasbord of effects. The Cube 40 won't even be much of an improvement.

TS - you've got a nice setup for now. While there's nothing wrong with pulling the trigger on a second guitar now you might be better off just enjoying what you've got and mulling things over for a bit. It's not like you're stuck with a rubbish guitar or amp in the interim.

In the long-run it would be wise to consider an amp upgrade first though. Again take your time over this. Finding the 'perfect' amp for you can be a long and arduous task and you don't want to rush things and make mistakes; you'll lose money doing this.

Enjoy playing guitar. Enjoy what you've got and let your ear, style and tastes develop. You're about to embark on a long and wonderful journey with your instrument and will no doubt find yourself crippled by GAS and gear obsession at some point. For now be patient and work on your chops. There's plenty of time for NGDs and NADs.
I have to agree with most people here, use what you have unless you really don't like the schecter. Your amp is fine for now, jumping on a new one right now while you still don't have your sound worked out isn't a good idea.

Take it easy and enjoy the ride, Before you know it 17 yrs will have passed since your first GAS experiance. Then you'll be like me and dump money once or more a year for some piece of new gear.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
When you get a different guitar, get something that is really different. Of course, still something you like, duh. The differences in the guitars will help you round out your weaknesses. Did you know some people can't play on skinny small frets?

I had the same amp for years and didnt know what I was missing! I still have more than twice as many guitars as amps.

Start going to pawn shops and watch craigs list, buying used has many benefits, especially when you're still evolving. You can get a reasonable first impression from playing a different guitar (or amp) for a few minutes, but sometimes the flaws (or special qualities) take hours to really appreciate. Sometimes its not the equipment, but rather your lack of understanding that makes your first impression "inaccurate". If its already used you risk nearly nothing when you get tired of it and want to sell.