I found a guy who will sell me one for $50 deal or no deal? I only worry cause it's 300 watts at 2 ohms and neither of my cabs are rated that high so it will cost a bunch to get 2 ohms worth of cabs
Quote by Royal Celebi
Even if you can't use it, you could resell it and make some serious dough.

I was thinking that I'll have to wait a while though, I don't know if this happens everywhere, but my local (Austin) Craigslist music section runs in waves, like one guy will post say a mark bass IV for $300 then all of a sudden everyone and their Mother is selling them and I get one for $50, then next it's silverface bassman heads, next it's telecasters. Another weird thing recently is people selling mounds of empty cabs for dirt cheap prices. I guess it's the boom bust economy thing, then in a year everyone sells and trades again and repeat.
You know you don't have to have a 2 ohm cab right? Its rated at 300w @ 2 ohms, and 210w @ 4 ohms. It should work fine at 8 ohms too, you just won't be getting much more then 100w or some such number.

Google the amp, the first link should be a PDF of the manual for the Mark IV.
The 400BH power module will work well with a wide range of speaker impedances, but is designed for optimum performance and maximum power output into either a 4 ohm or 2 ohm load. One should be aware that while operation with a 8 ohm or higher load is perfectly acceptable, the amplifier will not produce full rated power.

EDIT: If it works, and you have the $50 to spare, its a pretty good head. Peavey Marks are built like tanks. Not too much resale value to them though.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Jul 28, 2011,
LOVE the Mark series.

The Mark III is a 'holy grail' amp for heavy music dudes. One of the nicest solidstate grindy tones out there.

I've owned 2 Mark IVs, and i dig them. However, they are in a weird middle ground... they don't sound nearly as good as a Mark III when over driven, and yet, don't have the power of a Mark VI, VII or VIII. Still though, i giged one or both of them for a few years with no complaints at all.

$50 is a good deal. On CL, they usally run between $100 and $150.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Tostitos, I wanted it for the cheap access to 300 watts, I already have a 200 watt rig but I thought it would be a good backup head to have as more money flows in for better cabs. So I intend to put it to 2 ohms if I can.

Din do you mean overdriven like stand alone, or with a pedal? I haven't seen any of the other peavey stuff around here sadly, theres a series 300 thing that looks cool and has onboard germanium fuzz, but it's broken and only 100 watts

I think I'll get it cause I have $100 saved for defensive driving and I found out it costs only $35
Quote by askrere

Din do you mean overdriven like stand alone, or with a pedal? I haven't seen any of the other peavey stuff around here sadly, theres a series 300 thing that looks cool and has onboard germanium fuzz, but it's broken and only 100 watts

Woah... dude, the Series 300 is a personal fave of mine!! I did a house show with some lo-fi band from North Carolina last year, and their bassist was also playing a Peavey T-20, but through a Series 300 and a Sunn 2x15... sounded sooo good.

If my Kustom200 didn't have and do the germanium fuzzieness i'd totally look into one.

The Mark III is simmilar to that. It's all onboard... it reminds me of a pushed Ampeg V4 and an old Acoustic... it's its own thing, but around here with the noise rock, doom, and post rock.... bassists are coveting the Mark III.

Haha, hell yeah that the $$$ works out... i think you'll dig the Mark IV... if not, you could easily flip it for even $75 and make a profit.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Well speaking of, I met guy who was buying me and my drummer friend beer, and we checked out his music room and he had one of those series 300 heads. He wants to jam with us so I'll be trying it, mean while he'll be rocking his full stack marshall MG100 and murdering my ears. I love the look of the thing, it's so utilitarian and sparse but so big.

If I can get the money some guy put up a peavey roadmaster for sale for $150, I think I could do 160 tube watts well. so many decisions.
Well I got the Mark IV, it's wayyy grungy and smells like an ashtray, and I damaged the power cable, but I will tape it and eventually get a new one. Lucky for me I got there with only $20 dollar bills so he gave it to me for $40 instead of $50. Score for me, but seriously this thing is nasty, I'll be scrubbing and vacuuming this thing all day and then make a NAD when it looks pretty. Other than that, it's only missing 2 knobs, 1 tiny tolex ding, and a chipped up vent screen.