Well I am looking to buy one of these guitars. I thought I would go for the classic due to the dual p90 set-up but I have heavily reconsidered due to the fact they are single coiled and hum and are not designed for high levels of distortion. I'm more into modern rock and metal such as bullet for my valentines or something more popular such as green day. Please post your opinion. All suggestions are welcomed.
Gonna have to go with User_Name336 on this one, while the SGs are class instruments, for Bullet-esque style tones, they would be be pants, they're just not designed for that level of distortion, unless you put EMGs in it, which should be punishable by death, on the count of it being a frikkin SG. And if you're going to buy EMGs to put in it, then you might as well just buy a Viper, looks almost the same, and saves you money in the long run.
The vipers looks like a good deal but I can't seem to find one that doesn't use EMG's because I want to stick to passive pups.
Get an SG - mine does high gain stuff when I want it to.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Well there's some heavier seymour duncans that are passive...I think, but I don't think you're going to get enough kick out of passive pickups to play stuff like bullet, or at least not approaching anywhere near enough distortion.

I've got a Les Paul, and that sounds like ass trying to play high gain metal, which is what I have my EMG loaded Ibanez for. They're just not designed to be that heavy. It's great for classic metal (ala early Judas Priest, Black Sabbath and the like), but not for really heavy stuff.
Well not I'm in a dilemma -.-. ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 vs Gibson SG standard. At first I didn't want EMG'S because I know they are purely for high gain and metal but I found a ESP that had a 60's on it and thats pretty decent for cleans. Examples of artists I would like to be able to play would be atreyu, a7x, bfmv, simple plan and sum 41. While also being able to play some nu metal such as linkin park and papa roach.
The EMG 81/60 combo is indeed a nice setup, I wish I'd got them myself instead of the 81/85 Zakk Wylde combo, ah well, maybe one day I'll get the Hetfield set for another guitar...

Listen to James Hetfield use em live for an idea of what they can do, pretty crystaline cleans. I've played a lower model of the ESP you're looking at and it felt pretty good to me.

I'd say go for it if it's got 81/60s, you can dial back the gain and use the 60 for softer/clean stuff and it'll sound good still, wheras you can't really turn up the SG because it just starts to break up when you get to a certain amount of gain,

Best to have too much and not need it, than not enough and need it.

Even saying that, the EMGs are alot more versatile than the general consensus implies, they do Electric blues well, It does classic rock quite well, granted I'd rather the Les Paul for that, but they still perform well. Sum 41 with dialled down EMGs is going to sound infinity better than a Gain 10 SG trying to play Atreyu or BFMV

Plus, if you turn up the gain on the SG, you're going to have a damn annoying Buzz of doom to deal with.
Last edited by elvor0 at Jul 28, 2011,
i've got the ec 1000 actually, and yes, it'll do softer music. i've been known to play blues and jazz with mine. it doesn't sound as lively as a strat for example when playing the clean stuff, but with a little reverb and a very tiny amount of chorus (so small you cant tell its actually a chorus), you get a great sound that the majority of people out there will enjoy.

here's a question for you though... if you're so torn between the two, why not just get both guitars? not exactly the two, but hear me out. take a look at the ec 400/401 then the ec 1000. almost identical in terms of features (bridge and cosmetic differences). you can find them used for dirt cheap. that should give you a bit of playing room if you want to get an SG shaped guitar as well. if you're lucky, you might be able to get your hands on an old Epiphone Elitist SG. if not, well, you can deck out a regular epiphone or maybe afford that gibson with the p90s
I took at look at the ec401 and now Im distraught between that and the sg because I like the fact that the ec 401 has the sd jb/59 combo.
Quote by elvor0
Well there's some heavier seymour duncans that are passive...I think, but I don't think you're going to get enough kick out of passive pickups to play stuff like bullet, or at least not approaching anywhere near enough distortion. I've got a Les Paul, and that sounds like ass trying to play high gain metal, which is what I have my EMG loaded Ibanez for. They're just not designed to be that heavy. It's great for classic metal (ala early Judas Priest, Black Sabbath and the like), but not for really heavy stuff.

are you cereal?....i would think some duncan distortions are good enough for metal/hardcore

or do you really need emg's?
Yea I decided that i'd probably get the ec 401 since its all around good with anything with those sweet pickups. I'm looking for a cheap amp and can't decide between a mustang , vt or a vyper. Something for bedroom level that can play cleans well and overdrive nicely.
personally, i wouldn't get any of those amps. you're going to have to decide what style is most important to you and find an amp that can do that. i think i would find one that can do the lighter side, then get a good distortion pedal to hit the Bullet tones.
BFMV and Green Day are totally different in terms of gear. Green Day plays single coil guitars through a modded Marshall while Bullet plays active loaded guitars through 6505s... You're gonna have to figure out what you want.
I pride myself on my humility.
Just to throw it out there, Dimarzio makes some pretty great pups for both distortion and cleans. The Petrucci set comes to mind.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
dont even worry about pickups just yet if you dont have an amp for the high gain tones, that's the main thing
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by Duv
P90s aren't strictly single coils.

anyway... p90s have a pretty good output (depending on the model, like any pickup, some have more output than others, so you have to judge each case on its own merits), akin to a paf, pretty much (maybe even marginally hotter).

However, yeah, for out-and-out brootz i'd personally prefer humbuckers, the bass is a bit tighter, you don't have the noise, etc. etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?