Hi to all im euan, first time posting so forgive me if this is the wrong section, this is one massive forum compared to the bmx forum i use. Basically iv been playing guitar for a fair while but iv just made do with a little squire which has done me fine. I used to play alot of indie like libertines and joy division but more and more im playing harder stuff like the gallows and most of all maylene and the sons of disaster. Iv decided its time to get myself something decent to play because im getting pretty good an its letting me down but i want something thatl give me a nice southern sound but have a nice deep low end aswell. Would anyone be able to help point me in the right direction as to what i should be looking at that can do the odd bit of indie but is really suited to southern metal, mainly maylene.

Thanks.
Get whatever looks good to YOU. Don't listen to what other people say. Just go to a guitar center and start trying out guitars.
southern stuff sounds are usually good with fender strats, even though i hate them. and you can never go wrong with a gibson les paul. metal, southern, jazz their guitars can do it all.

invest in good cables (monster cables are great), strings too (eddie ball are awesome i love them, so are ghs boomers. i like their nickel plated strings)

a good amp (marshalls are always good for bluesy stuff) but anything with tubes instead of electronics are good for that smooth old school sound (you can also try older amps like VOX, but they're harder to come by)

dont be afraid not to max out all your levels either ( tone-10/ mid-10/volume-10/ bass n treble-10 etc.) play with everything you have; buttons, switches, knobs. everything.

then keep practicing and develope your feel. once you get the lessons down dont stick to them as gospel. use them to discover what else a guitar can do. then you'll play that southern shit like you were born there!
Last edited by lvd1 at Jul 28, 2011,
Quote by lvd1
southern stuff sounds are usually good with fender strats, even though i hate them. and you can never go wrong with a gibson les paul. metal, southern, jazz their guitars can do it all.

invest in good cables (monster cables are great), strings too (eddie ball are awesome i love them, so are ghs boomers. i like their nickel plated strings)

a good amp (marshalls are always good for bluesy stuff) but anything with tubes instead of electronics are good for that smooth old school sound (you can also try older amps like VOX, but they're harder to come by)

dont be afraid not to max out all your levels either ( tone-10/ mid-10/volume-10/ bass n treble-10 etc.) play with everything you have; buttons, switches, knobs. everything.

then keep practicing and develope your feel. once you get the lessons down dont stick to them as gospel. use them to discover what else a guitar can do. then you'll play that southern shit like you were born there!

Thanks very much man this is exactly the kinda help i was after. i mean as i was saying i can play pretty dam well but when it came to acheiving the sound i didnt know what gear to go for. i think im gunna try pick up a strat ( always loved them ) and perhaps see about an amp as u say with valves, cos the sound is way superior to everything else. il also have a look at cables. thanks a load man, i may be scottish but il get that southern feel down haha!
Southern: Gibsons (Les Paul, SG), Fender (Telecaster). It Doesn´t get any more southern than a tele.

Maybe you could buy one of those John 5 model. It has some twang to it without being anoying for metal. And it has two Dimarzio Dactivator PU on it that where made for heavy music.
Quote by JoaquinCastillo
Southern: Gibsons (Les Paul, SG), Fender (Telecaster). It Doesn´t get any more southern than a tele.

Maybe you could buy one of those John 5 model. It has some twang to it without being anoying for metal. And it has two Dimarzio Dactivator PU on it that where made for heavy music.

so u would say a tele over a strat like the other guy suggested? im really not a fan of les pauls, iv played my friends and i just hate it, dont like the feel, the look. and i know its not the key element in playing but id hate to pay £800 for a guitar that makes me sick to look at.

il check out the john 5s too.