Ok, so I'm thinking of buying a pair of new pickups. I've got an ESP LTD KH-602 with Emg 60/81 combo. I like the way they sound , but they are a little to noisy for my taste , and I would like to experiment some passive pick-ups.
I'm mostly a metal head . I play Iron maiden , Metallica , Children of Bodom , Avenged Sevenfold , Pantera ,Trivium and so on .
I was thinking of buying Seymour Duncan pickups , but there are quite a lot of models , so I need some help.
Feel free to suggest other brands of passive pickups . I'm open to all your suggestions.

Thanks
Seymour Duncan Blackouts!!
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Quote by StrykVladzimsky
Seymour Duncan Blackouts!!

Those are active pickups.

I know this may not be helpful, but checkout videos of the guitarist from drowning pool, he uses some passive Seymour pickups and his tone is amazing, if you cant find a video let me know and I will search.
Quote by Kenjisan231
Those are active pickups.

I know this may not be helpful, but checkout videos of the guitarist from drowning pool, he uses some passive Seymour pickups and his tone is amazing, if you cant find a video let me know and I will search.

He says in a video that he uses Seymour Duncan Custom Custom pick-ups or smthn like that...didn't find them in any European online music store...
Yeah they sound good.
Whoops, sorry.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

For all-round metal needs, assuming your amp is good enough, SD Custom or DM Evo 2 are good picks. They're both good pickups for both classic and modern metal and they even sound decent for more regular hard rock if you ever feel like playing something a little bit lighter. If you want a strictly modern metal tone then the DM Evo is the way to go. If you want a strictly classic metal tone then I'd say the DM Tone Zone or SD JB or Custom 5. For real old school heavy metal tones you want the DM Super Distortion. Considering you listed both classic and new metal bands though I'd stick to the Custom or Evo 2.

For the neck the best pickups for any kind of metal are going to be the SD Jazz or DM PAF Pro. They're both pretty much the same. The DM sounds a little more compressed and flat but it also has a tiny bit more output, if that's your thing. Don't be tempted to get a ceramic neck pickup. It's always a bad idea unless you're actually Steve Vai in disguise. Even he struggles to make ceramic neck pickups sound any good.

Though I don't get what you mean about the EMGs being too noisy. Active pickups cancel hum better than any passive pickup does and their output actually isn't much higher than any 'metal' passive pickup. In fact some passive pickups have higher output than most actives. Maybe you have dodgy wiring, or your amp just isn't suitable for either the active pickups or the kind of tone you want. Think about your rig as a whole before blaming your pickups.
Quote by grohl1987
For all-round metal needs, assuming your amp is good enough, SD Custom or DM Evo 2 are good picks. They're both good pickups for both classic and modern metal and they even sound decent for more regular hard rock if you ever feel like playing something a little bit lighter. If you want a strictly modern metal tone then the DM Evo is the way to go. If you want a strictly classic metal tone then I'd say the DM Tone Zone or SD JB or Custom 5. For real old school heavy metal tones you want the DM Super Distortion. Considering you listed both classic and new metal bands though I'd stick to the Custom or Evo 2.

For the neck the best pickups for any kind of metal are going to be the SD Jazz or DM PAF Pro. They're both pretty much the same. The DM sounds a little more compressed and flat but it also has a tiny bit more output, if that's your thing. Don't be tempted to get a ceramic neck pickup. It's always a bad idea unless you're actually Steve Vai in disguise. Even he struggles to make ceramic neck pickups sound any good.

Though I don't get what you mean about the EMGs being too noisy. Active pickups cancel hum better than any passive pickup does and their output actually isn't much higher than any 'metal' passive pickup. In fact some passive pickups have higher output than most actives. Maybe you have dodgy wiring, or your amp just isn't suitable for either the active pickups or the kind of tone you want. Think about your rig as a whole before blaming your pickups.

Thanks a lot for the pick-up advice , I'll look into it .
As for the EMGs , I have no hum , that's not the problem. Although they sound great...they're not rly my sound of choice...( I've got a Marshall JVM 210H , and I don't blame them , I never said i did )
Hmm you said something about a classic metal tone , recommending the SD JB . Are you suggesting a set of JBs ? One in bridge position and one in neck position?
And furthermore , what about the SD Jazz (neck) SD JB (brigde) combo?
Last edited by c0b_h4t3cr3w at Jul 28, 2011,
Quote by c0b_h4t3cr3w
Although they sound great...they're not rly my sound of choice...

What specifically don't you like about them? People will be able to help you better if you give more details.
Quote by fixationdarknes
What specifically don't you like about them? People will be able to help you better if you give more details.

Hmm...Can't rly offer a better explanation rather than saying that I would like pickups that sound ...warmer , more versatile...I'm not giving up on them , I've got 2 guitars with EMG pickups...I want to test more possibilities...So I asked the question...what are the best pickups for...classic and/or modern heavy metal...
the duncan JB and '59 is a classic combo and works great for pretty much anything u want to play. whats your budget though?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED