I just bought a Gibson Les Paul traditional lightburst and played it today without an amp to test out the string sound.

My G string, when ringing, makes an overly steely sound. My low E, when muted, gives a wah sound for some reason. These werent evident on my old guitar.

Is it just the new strings?
yeh, there's a couple of things you can do to sort it a little quicker.

one would be to tune them to sharp.

the other is to loosen them a little, then pull up on the strings (away from the fretboard) at around the 12th to 14th fret. not too much, but just pull until you feel adequate resistance.

i often actually do both, the 2nd option when putting new strings on, then tune it to sharp and leave it overnight, then play it the next day, and then tunet o standard and it's usually fine, if it makes ANY difference at all, i use ernie ball regular slinky's on my strat and dean markley nuno bettencourt hybrid 9/10's on my ibby
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by Dempsey68
yeh, there's a couple of things you can do to sort it a little quicker.

one would be to tune them to sharp.

the other is to loosen them a little, then pull up on the strings (away from the fretboard) at around the 12th to 14th fret. not too much, but just pull until you feel adequate resistance.

i often actually do both, the 2nd option when putting new strings on, then tune it to sharp and leave it overnight, then play it the next day, and then tunet o standard and it's usually fine, if it makes ANY difference at all, i use ernie ball regular slinky's on my strat and dean markley nuno bettencourt hybrid 9/10's on my ibby

Thanks guys Im a stress head lol.

I'll wait
The G string is the only problem. Whenever I press the 13th fret now in standard tuning, the bridge pickup makes a wierd buzz noise. If I replace the string should it be gone?
Quote by Privet Tovarish
The G string is the only problem. Whenever I press the 13th fret now in standard tuning, the bridge pickup makes a wierd buzz noise. If I replace the string should it be gone?

When testing out individual frets for buzz, it's best to do that unplugged. Does it make that sound unplugged?
Quote by W4RP1G
When testing out individual frets for buzz, it's best to do that unplugged. Does it make that sound unplugged?

Yeh I tested it unplugged