So guys, I've been considering getting a Marshall JMP-1 for a while now, but I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice. I'm currently using a Blackstar HT-5 into a 1x10 cab. I play mostly progressive/alternative rock (Muse, Radiohead, Porcupine Tree, Mars Volta) style music and thought the Marshall JMP-1 might make a nice alternative to the Blackstar (my only decent amp atm).

However, the Marshall JMP-1 is just a preamp and I will need a Power amp (duh). So my questions today are:

1: How do you think the Marshall JMP-1 will sound running into the Blackstar's FX-In
2: Are there any good (not too expensive) low wattage power (Pref <5W) amps out there?
3: Are there any other preamps/amp heads that I should consider similar to the JMP-1.
Note: the JMP-1 is based on the JCM800 and 900 models

Cheers!
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Jul 28, 2011,
JMP-1 into a HT-5 or some other 5W amp? That's like putting Recaro racing seats into a Morris Minor. Sure it will work but
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ha, that's why I want Power amp suggestions!

Also, I could use it to take advantage of the HT-5's (superior?) emulated output
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
So guys, I've been considering getting a Marshall JMP-1 for a while now, but I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice. I'm currently using a Blackstar HT-5 into a 1x10 cab. I play mostly progressive/alternative rock (Muse, Radiohead, Porcupine Tree, Mars Volta) style music and thought the Marshall JMP-1 might make a nice alternative to the Blackstar (my only decent amp atm).

However, the Marshall JMP-1 is just a preamp and I will need a Power amp (duh). So my questions today are:

1: How do you think the Marshall JMP-1 will sound running into the Blackstar's FX-In
2: Are there any good (not too expensive) low wattage power (Pref <5W) amps out there?
3: Are there any other preamps/amp heads that I should consider similar to the JMP-1.
Note: the JMP-1 is based on the JCM800 and 900 models

Cheers!

1. Should sound fine, depending on what you like
2. Low wattage tube poweramps are very expensive. You can get 50w stereo for much cheaper. Otherwise look into SS
3. I think the ENGLe530 is very similar, but sounds better. Basically the JMP-1 has its midi functionality but the e530 to me sounds better.
WTLTL 2011
Get something that will do it justice. A Marshall 50/50 is the obvious choice but a Carvin is a good choice if you want something a bit cheaper. And then run it into a decent cab. Using a JMP-1 as a preamp for a bedroom amp just seems really silly to me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
what about the Marshall 20/20 or Mesa 20/20?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
If I didn't have neighbours...
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Go for the Mesa 50:50. They are dirt cheap used and you can switch them to 5w stereo.
WTLTL 2011
What you need is a new home.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
no what he needs is fingers. all you need is a finger to take that volume knob and turn it down to quiet levels.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
The Marshall 20 20 would be a fine choice. Mate it with a nice 2x12 wired for stereo.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Originally Posted by InanezGuitars44
no what he needs is fingers. all you need is a finger to take that volume knob and turn it down to quiet levels.

Actually I already have some, but a nice low wattage cranked amp is going to sound better than a higher wattage amp of the same value/quality with volume at 1
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by InanezGuitars44

Na. He needs lots of crystallized lettuce with marmite and mayo.

EDIT: @TS: Not always. Depends on the amp. If its an amp designed for power tube saturation (ie Plexi) then yes. If its something based off pre amp distortion like a Recto, it will just muddy up with excess volume. Higher volume does to a certain extent sound better in the altter case, but its not a massive difference.

Do you want your gain from the pre amp (your JMP) or your poweramp?
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Jul 28, 2011,
Quote by Emperor's Child
Actually I already have some, but a nice low wattage cranked amp is going to sound better than a higher wattage amp of the same value/quality with volume at 1

if you say so
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Emperor's Child

That depends entirely on what you are playing. If you are playing metal then no, it won't.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
well, like I said, not metal, but high gain rock such as:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiHUKVoYbdc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4uJFGDdcBo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF8khJ7P4Wg

You get the idea...

Not to mention has decent cleans and takes pedals well (which I hear the JMP-1 does)
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Cathbard
That depends entirely on what you are playing. If you are playing metal then no, it won't.

This.

Ever wondered why metal oriented amps (ie 6505's and Rectos and Diezels etc) tend to be 100W+ monsters? Because metal needs a tight, high gain tone. Which can only be achieved through your pre amp. Power tube saturation is a loose, chewy kind of sound, far from what you want for metal. It also doesnt have the required amount of gain. Big watts=big headroom=less power tube dist=clearer high gain sound.

However, if youre playing say Gary Moore or AC/DC, power tube saturation will be what you need. Mind you, a 1W amp when cranked will still be hell loud- a tube amp is rated at the power produced just below the point where it clips. So when the power tubes start distorting it will produce as much as 2 or even 3 (in rare cases) times the rated power.

Also keep in mind that to be twice as loud, you need 10x as much power assuming speaker efficiency to be constant. So a 10W amp is only half as loud as a 100W amp.

So that tiny tube amo youre usign will still be too much to get power tube saturation at bedroom volumes.

EDIT: Muse? You want a fuzz for that.
not the exact same situation, but i am currently using a 500 watt pa poweramp through FRFR speakers as opposed to my 40 watt tube poweramp, and at low volumes i cant say one sounds better than the other. havent cranked the 500 watter yet so we'll see how it is at high volumes.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
So if I have a higher gain power amp with the preamp at a higher volume I will get a more 'modern' or 'metal' sound.

If that's the case, I might just go for the Marshall 20 20 or Mesa 20 20

EDIT: It's not just fuzz for Muse (although a lot of people think so). Think more like the Diezel VH4. Actually, Origin era was a DSL100
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Correct. With metal you want all the distortion to come from the preamp so what you want in a power amp is headroom. A 20 20 would be a good compromise. You can still crank it to get blues without going deaf and it's just loud enough to get some infinite sustain as long as you stand very close and face the speakers. If playing with a drummer it's not really powerful enough for metal but it will get you in the ballpark.

Edit, the 20 20 is an EL84 based amp. They have a little more bite than their big brother EL34. If you can crank it they are a mighty fine blues amp - think Gary Moore.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 28, 2011,
Hmm, so what would you advise for a more Alternative Metal/Rock (i.e. not quite metal) sound?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Some examples of the type of bands? Try to pick something I might know, not some obscure american local band.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I play mostly progressive/alternative rock (Muse, Radiohead, Porcupine Tree, Mars Volta) style music

:P

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Tbh for those I'd probably want a 50 50 but you'd get away with a 20 20.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You can add Audioslave to the list if it helps
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Audioslave definitely a 50 50.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ok, so now the next question: Marshall, Mesa, or something else?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Both good. Not as different as you might imagine. The massive difference in sound between Marshall and Mesa amps is mostly from the preamp. You're already 90% down the Marshall path anyway. It would be a hard one to call. I'd get whichever I could get the best deal on. Worth keeping your eye out for a tube Carvin power amp too. You can often get them for a fraction of the cost and would do the job nicely.
You'll really only notice a substantial difference if you are cranking the power amp into distortion. You aren't planning to do that anyway so 90% of your sound is down to the preamp. Look for bargains.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah, I thought as much. Thanks
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Mark G
I think the ENGLe530 is very similar, but sounds better. Basically the JMP-1 has its midi functionality but the e530 to me sounds better.
??!!?? an ENGL e530 sounds nothing, NOTHING !! like a JMP-1. Not everyone wants their pre-amp to play metal only tones..
Since you're in the uk i'd look into marshall poweramps since they're cheaper on the used market.

Mesa is usually pretty pricey

Also the peavey classic poweramps can be had for fairly cheap too.

They are all a bit rarer on ebay etc but if you keep your eyes open you can usually find something good for a reasonable price.