Hey guys,

I want to start recording vocals soon and I was wondering what is the best vocal microphone for €100? I was looking at the sm57 and the at2020, any suggestions?

Thanks!
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
the sm57 is more for recording instruments than vocals you'd be better off looking at a shure pg 58
Quote by funeralllllllll
the sm57 is more for recording instruments than vocals you'd be better off looking at a shure pg 58

That was actually a typo, I meant the sm58.
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
i meant sm as well haha, yeah the shure then

but get down to a store and try it out is always a good recommendation
Quote by constructbot
That was actually a typo, I meant the sm58.

The sm57 and sm58 are the exact same mic with a different grille. If one is not "good" for vocals, neither is the other.

9 times out of 10 the AT2020 will get you a better vocal sound.
hmm okay, is there a mic for this price that's better than the at2020?
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Unless you find a used AT4040 or NT1A like sandyman323 said then i don't think so. The AT2020 should give you satisfactory results for now though. It's a good one to learn on.
Quote by sandyman323
The sm57 and sm58 are the exact same mic with a different grille. If one is not "good" for vocals, neither is the other.

9 times out of 10 the AT2020 will get you a better vocal sound.

What? the sm57 and sm58 are completely different mics! Ones a condenser (sm57) and the other is dynamic microphone (sm58), which mean it captures the sound all around it, where as the sm57 (condenser), will mainly only capture things directly in front of it.
ALSO the diaphragms are different sizes as well.

I'd go for the at2020, but it depends what your vocals are like coz for Brians vocals in AC/DC they use a sm57 coz his vocals capture better with that.
Quote by stiff-upper-lip
What? the sm57 and sm58 are completely different mics! Ones a condenser (sm57) and the other is dynamic microphone (sm58), which mean it captures the sound all around it, where as the sm57 (condenser), will mainly only capture things directly in front of it.
ALSO the diaphragms are different sizes as well.

I'd go for the at2020, but it depends what your vocals are like coz for Brians vocals in AC/DC they use a sm57 coz his vocals capture better with that.

If you're going to make contractions please do some research first *facepalm*.

1. They're both dynamics
2. They're not compeltely different. The grille is just different and
3. Not all dynamic mics have an omnidirectional pickup pattern, in fact most have cardiod as do condensers. The diaphram is larger in condensers as you said, but that doesn't mean they have a different pickup pattern. Also they require less preamp boost (but requiring 48v Phantom Power).

The AT2020 is a Condenser so you'll need an interface with 48v Phantom Power (such as the M-Audio Fast Track MKII - a fairly decent budget choice). And you'll need a shock mount, pop shield, a stand and a cable. Then you're good to go.
Last edited by Afroboy267 at Jul 28, 2011,
What about the blue yeti, better or worse? And since it's usb does it still need a preamp?
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Quote by constructbot
What about the blue yeti, better or worse? And since it's usb does it still need a preamp?

Probably not. Best bet is to save up for a bit longer and get an interface with the AT2020, Shock mount, cable and stand. I can guarantee you you'll get 100x better sound from that setup that a USB mic.
Quote by stiff-upper-lip
Also just save up an extra £300 and get the AKG C414, which can then be utilised for a lot of other things like electric guitar and acoustic guitar

Someone else covered how stupid your first post was, so I'm now interested to know where you think you can get a C-414 for £400... even used you'd struggle to get it that cheap. The RRP is around £800 now inc. VAT.

Oh, and most people prefer dynamics on electric guitar, like the SM57, so I dunno how you think buying a condenser suddenly 'allows you to record electric guitar'.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Thanks for all the replies, I ordered an AT2020 with a pop filter, a stand, a cable and the m-audio fast track mkII.
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Quote by constructbot
Thanks for all the replies, I ordered an AT2020 with a pop filter, a stand, a cable and the m-audio fast track mkII.

A great choice to start out with! Good luck and I hope you enjoy recording and mixing music as much as many of us here do
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by constructbot

This thread has been so full of fair (not your fault) I'm glad you were able to make a good decision.

Just a if you've never used a condenser before. Phantom power has to be on for it to work, but wait till AFTER you plug in the mic to turn it on and turn it off BEFORE you unplug the mic. There is a possibility of frying condensers if you dont give it that ramp up/down time. It's very unlikely with cheaper condensers, but it's still possible.

Happy recordings to you!
Sounds like you've made a good choice. I have run into issues with Midiman and Windows 7, though. Win 7 power cycles the motherboard, which makes a clicking noise on the Midiman - and no I can't turn it off.

I hope yours sounds better than mine!
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by constructbot

No probs. This is pretty similar to my setup so if you need any more help just ask .