I am currently playing Pearl Jam - Daughter on acoustic where the low E is tuned up to a G

The problem with this is it puts strain on the head aswell as the string. Can anyone recommend the best light strings to tune the E to a G?

Thanks for any help

Grant
Capo?
And why would you buy extra strings for just one song?

But if you really want to buy extra strings just look out for your usual string gauge but with a lighter e string gauge
Don't bother tuning up your guitar if you can just get a capo.
It's useful, and you'll need it more than new strings.
Should be cheaper too I think.
Capo is pretty useless when the tuning is GGDGBD though...he's just asking about low E string.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Spider Capo? Can Capo just the strings you want to achieve the tuning you want.
My Rig: Gibson SG Menace
Gibson Les Paul Menace (Heavy Modded Project)
PRS Mike Mushok Baritone
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone Dot Deluxe
Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
Epiphone Worn '66 Wilshire
Egnater 15W Tweaker, 112 Cab
I'd probably consider going down to like a .048, or even a .046, for your low E in that case. Tuning up is going to cause a lot more tension, as you mentioned. Getting a lower gauge string should help make this even out.

This is assuming you're using a .053 (or something similar).

About the only thing I would recommend is maybe try to find another song that works in this tuning, or even considering working something up yourself in this tuning. That way, its a bit more justifiable. You won't have to tune and retune song after song. I did a lot of Michael Hedges stuff for a while that required a lot of tuning, it really breaks ups the flow of things if you're not careful and quick.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
iband, this song worth the efforts.
had the same problem when i came to play this (awesome) song.
My solution was just leaving the E string standart tuned. the E string in this song is mostly used open, which makes it a bit pain in the ass buy playable.
Three turtles decided to have a cup of coffee. Just as they got into the cafe, it started to rain.
The biggest turtle said to the smallest one, " Go home and get the umbrella."
The little turtle replied, "I will, if you don't drink my offee."
"We won't," the other two promised.
Two years later the big turtle said to the middle turtle, "Well, I guess he isn't coming back, so we might as well drink his
coffee."
Just then a voice called from outside the door, "If you do, I won't go."

Microsoft Office 2007
buy microsoft office 2007
overview of microsoft office 2007
microsoft office 2007 wholeheartedly no require
Quote by iband48
I'd probably consider going down to like a .048, or even a .046, for your low E in that case. Tuning up is going to cause a lot more tension, as you mentioned. Getting a lower gauge string should help make this even out.

This is assuming you're using a .053 (or something similar).

About the only thing I would recommend is maybe try to find another song that works in this tuning, or even considering working something up yourself in this tuning. That way, its a bit more justifiable. You won't have to tune and retune song after song. I did a lot of Michael Hedges stuff for a while that required a lot of tuning, it really breaks ups the flow of things if you're not careful and quick.

This.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Why not just tune the rest of your strings a minor third down and transpose/refinger?

This. Tuning up strings seems risky for neck tension.