So, I'm wanting to reduce the amount of gain I have in my 3120, 'cause I'm using for more of a rock band than a metal band. I'm guessing the easiest way to do this would be to swap in some lower gain pre-amp tubes? its got 12AX7's in at the moment.

thanks in advance,

Josh
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
sorry to sound like an idiot, but try lowering the gain on the amp and then adjusting your eq to compensate.

also, you could try using very low gain and boosting with a tubescreamer on the crunch channel. itll give you a tight thick sound, but it wont be overly "brutal". thats actually what i did when i had a peavey xxx, which is the older 3120
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
You can try some 12AU7s or 12AT7s in the valve position (usually V2 or V3) to reduce the overall gain levels.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
You can try some 12AU7s or 12AT7s in the valve position (usually V2 or V3) to reduce the overall gain levels.

This would be the easiest thing to try. It changed the character of the amp a bit too much for me though I ended up modding mine a bit to deal with the gain. It's still a great metal amp, but it doesn't get so messy when you turn the gain knob up. It's a lot more usable.
you see that knob that says gain on it?? try turning it down.....
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by eyebanez333
This would be the easiest thing to try. It changed the character of the amp a bit too much for me though I ended up modding mine a bit to deal with the gain. It's still a great metal amp, but it doesn't get so messy when you turn the gain knob up. It's a lot more usable.

Yeah , a major tradeoff is a significant change in the character of the amp, but that's really to be expected.

Actually another option is to get some late breakup 12AX7s but the reduction in distortion isn't gonna be drastic, although you would retain the character of the amp.

There are some apparent differences in brands and makes of 12ax7s so you can look at those too, some resources attached:
http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/12ax7.html
http://www.amplifiedparts.com/tech_corner/12ax7_comparison_of_current_made_tubes

You can also consider changing your pickups to lower output ones so your signal won't slam your first preamplifier stage so hard, thus reducing the overall signal gain.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
i'd say, don't use a 3120, lol
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Yeah i'd say turn the gain down and adjust the eq for a warmer sound then br00tz

The active eq on those is quite powerful too.
roll the gain on the amp down, and roll the volume on your guitar down.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Incase some of you hadn't realised, i'd presumed you'd realise I've tried lowering the gain knob before asking about changing pre-amp tubes. I'm after more useable gain.

If I were to try 12AU7's or 12AT7's how would the character of the amp be altered?
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Quote by bikerboyjosh
Incase some of you hadn't realised, i'd presumed you'd realise I've tried lowering the gain knob before asking about changing pre-amp tubes. I'm after more useable gain.

If I were to try 12AU7's or 12AT7's how would the character of the amp be altered?

Your best bet is to buy a few diff brands and types and see which sound best in what position.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by bikerboyjosh

12AU7s will drastically reduce the gain output of the amp. A 12AT7 will retain more gain but tame the amp somewhat still.

I'd recommend getting a few 12AT7s and some 5751s, and seeing what you like best in the 3120.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??