People argue about genres, which I think is pretty stupid. I mean, seriously, is anyone paying you to be an expert on this stuff?

NO!

So shut the **** up and enjoy the music. That said I will attempt to begin the conversation with my ATTEMPT at labeling/grouping bands I like.

My favorite right now is Melodic/Folk Metal. Amon Amarth is what I am listening to most right now. I enjoy how the sound is dark and cohesive, and Johan Hegg's vocals are just devastating.

The videos for these guys are absolutely hilarious, but epically cheesy. For example, "Guardians of Asgaard" features guys running around in the woods with shields fake-fighting, fire, a cave, a gigantic rubber hammer and falling rubber rocks! It doesn't get any better than that, folks.

I also enjoy how the lyrics aren't simply 14 year-old type Satanic BM crap, but actually attempt to tell a story. Granted, the story is, like, "I will battle the enemy in the woods and face you in my cave with fire!!" but still that's at least a story.

Windir is another one. The band's story is hilariously tragic! The vocalist and leader literally froze to death hiking through the woods in Norway.

I mean that is really sad, BUT SO F'ING METAL!!! I love the folk-inspired riffs an overall traditional character of it. I want to mosh and do a jig at the same time. Not to mention raise a mug of Ale in honor of the fallen Terje "Valfar" Bakken!!!

LESS FAVORITE - Neo-Shred Death Metal bands like Arch Enemy, and other guitar-heavy bands. Worst of all = Children of Bodom! I cease to be amazed by a bunch of fancy guitar work, and frankly there is so much going on in this type of genre that I don't even have the energy to pay attention to it.

I just don't care!

I guess it's okay. It doesn't suck, but seriously it's not the kind of music that makes me want to sit under an umbrella and drink a beer (which is the kind of thing I like to do.) CoB is the most boring, uninspired metal band out there, imo.

Yah, so the guy can play the guitar.

It takes more than slick arpeggios to keep my attention.

This by no means covers everything I like, and of course the stuff I like less I still like, but to less extent. It pretty much changes daily, too, so what do you like and not like, and WHY?
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Favorite: I'd have to say Grunge, Hard Rock, or a Punk/Metal.
Grunge and Punk/Metal, aside from me enjoying most of what I hear in those two genres, they really inspire me personally as a guitar player. After hearning Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Green Day, that was what I wanted to play. Before that, all I playe was like... it was like an 80's rock/metal sound. Now it's like a cross between Punk and Metal.. hence the Punk/Metal.

Least favorite: Rap.
To me, it all soudns the same, and it's basically just lazy singing with a Bass and somone playing the same beat on drums for the entire song.

Amon Amarth, Children of Bodom, and Arch Enemy are ALL melodic death metal bands from Scandinavia.

They don't sleep anymore on the beach..
I have hard time believing that a user registered in 2002 would make an idiotic thread like this
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Instead of putting down the ts and his tastes, I'll contribute.

I'd probably have to go with death metal, as most of my top favourites are from that genre. Mostly progressive or "tech death" (ugh), too, to be a bit more specific. I suppose I like the atmosphere that a lot of the bands create, I don't give two ****s about the technicality of the music in itself. It helps keep the music interesting, sure, but the mood and thought provoking nature of it is why I enjoy it.

Lately though, for the past week or so, it's been thrash again. I suppose nostalgia is an important attraction in thrash, which I admit is kind of ridiculous, because I wasn't even around when most of the albums were made. Not to mention the atmosphere of albums like From This Day Forward, and the original yet very thrashy sound of albums like Swallowed In Black, Epidemic of Violence, Idolatry, Black Future and Eternal Nightmare.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
You're telling me people actually care about sub-genres?

Oh you bet, every night I sit down and study from my sub-genre tomes, having heated discussions with fellow metal brethren.
What's everyones favourite humming noise? Least favourite?
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
^ Indeed

Dep and I still can't agree whether Arch Enemy is simply melodic death metal or neo-classical shred metal.
Philosophy > Life
I class them as good tits ruined by a man-face metal.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by Stranglehold
What's everyones favourite humming noise? Least favourite?

Definitely a hummingbird's hum, there's something so aesthetically pleasing about it, the beauty of nature and all.

Least was my 15 year old fridge, close to death its hum was accompanied by many high pitched frequencies, and whilst it may not be an inherent problem with the hum itself, it just made it unlistenable.

Quote by MoogleRancha
^ Indeed

Dep and I still can't agree whether Arch Enemy is simply melodic death metal or neo-classical shred metal.

puh-lease sister, they were melodic death metal, but when that girl joined they became neo-classical shred metal, I mean, we all know classical singers are female right?
My TV used to hum.

Until I killed it, and ate its insides. Now I'm the only one humming. Mainly because I can't really talk due to the parts inside of it destroying my voice box.
Quote by Sanitarium91
I'd probably have to go with death metal, as most of my top favourites are from that genre. Mostly progressive or "tech death" (ugh), too, to be a bit more specific. I suppose I like the atmosphere that a lot of the bands create, I don't give two ****s about the technicality of the music in itself. It helps keep the music interesting, sure, but the mood and thought provoking nature of it is why I enjoy it.

Exactly. I enjoy composition.

I also like when a band's overall sound still has some organic feel to it. As much as I love Dimmu, I have to say the mixes all sound like a pancake to me. Too bad, too, because I really like the band it its music.

The best approach is when a band is able to instill some structure on the music without taking it too far.

One of my favorite bands is Hypocrisy. They are just very dark and atmospheric. The music builds and builds on itself sonically. It's pretty simplistic, really, but well written.

There are many layers to it. Each instrument has its place. Pete's a genious!

...weird. Pandora is playing The Departure! They read my mind.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Last edited by Bubonic Chronic at Jul 28, 2011,
Quote by Deplorable
puh-lease sister, they were melodic death metal, but when that girl joined they became neo-classical shred metal, I mean, we all know classical singers are female right?

I know you're onto something there, but at the same time I mean...she's still melodically singing, right?

@ strangles -
Philosophy > Life
Favourite Genres would be Progressive metal, Melodic Death and Technical Death and some Metalcore influneced Thrash (Trivium, God Forbid).

Least favourite, Sludge, Doom, Grindcore, all that stuff that makes you go BLEUGH.
METAL!
What's your favorite part of a woman? Less favorite?

I really like their cheek bone structure, whenever I see a woman with nice cheek bones I just want to penetrate a hole through her cheeks.
reported
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Quote by Ironic Maiden
What's your favorite part of a woman? Less favorite?

I really like their cheek bone structure, whenever I see a woman with nice cheek bones I just want to penetrate a hole through her cheeks.

My favourite part of a woman is her spine, least favourite is the Labia Minora.

Now. Get back to topic.
METAL!
Favorite: Melodic Death Metal, why you ask? Because it blends brutality and melody perfectly to my ears. Now I'm not just talking SOilwork, In Flames, Scar Symmetry, even though I do love them, but I'm talking the whole shebang. Dismember, Dissection, At The Gates, Eucharist, Vehemence, Demigod, In Flames, Deadlock, Mors Principium Est, Quo Vadis, and all that good stuff.

Least Favorite: Grindcore, due to the fact that the music itself is focused on dissonance and sheer primal instinct, which I am not a of. It feels as though there are no Dynamics and the vocals are too extreme for my tastes, aswell as the instrumentation being too raw in both music and production.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Favorite: Melodic Death Metal, why you ask? Because it blends brutality and melody perfectly to my ears. Now I'm not just talking SOilwork, In Flames, Scar Symmetry, even though I do love them, but I'm talking the whole shebang. Dismember, Dissection, At The Gates, Eucharist, Vehemence, Demigod, In Flames, Deadlock, Mors Principium Est, Quo Vadis, and all that good stuff.

Least Favorite: Grindcore, due to the fact that the music itself is focused on dissonance and sheer primal instinct, which I am not a of. It feels as though there are no Dynamics and the vocals are too extreme for my tastes, aswell as the instrumentation being too raw in both music and production.

I have the feeling you aren't familiar with proper grindcore. Have you tried...

Xysma?
Carcass?
Terrorizer?
Repulsion?
Bolt Thrower?
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
when people talk about how much they love Swedeath aka PUNKYDEFFMETUHL and then hate on grindcore, I die a little inside.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by Deplorable
He walked his ass into another man's penis!

SAM! WHY YOU JOKE AT THIS TIME OF NIGHT? I CAN NO LAUGH OUT LOUD.
Quote by progbass
when people talk about how much they love Swedeath aka PUNKYDEFFMETUHL and then hate on grindcore, I die a little inside.

Who has every said that?
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.