Hey guy's,

I'm looking at the Fulltone GT500 which has a "booster/overdrive" and the Jekyll&Hyde which has a "tubescreamer."

Whats the difference there ?

Thanks!!
The tubescreamer is a "booster/overdrive" pedal. However, there are many many different overdrive/booster pedals and they all sound differently. you would need to try each out, or find some reviews with sound samples of the effects.
tube screamer produces its own overdrive sound, whereas a booster just makes your clean guitar signal louder.

you can boost with a tubescreamer because the volume can get above unity gain, but it will also alter the sound a lot more.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 28, 2011,
So the booster isn't good for the tubes isn't it ? they must heat a lot to get the overdrive ?
If you compare a Tube Screamer to something like a SD-1, I think the main difference is that the Tube screamer has assymmetrical clipping, whereas the SD-1 doesn't. It's just a different type of (subtle) overdrive really.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by alans056
So the booster isn't good for the tubes isn't it ? they must heat a lot to get the overdrive ?

i don't see how it'd be bad for the tubes.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
tube screamer produces its own overdrive sound, whereas a booster just makes your clean guitar signal louder.

you can boost with a tubescreamer because the volume can get above unity gain, but it will also alter the sound a lot more.

+1

a tubescreamer is an od. the pedal has a clipping circuit in it to add its own overdrive.

a booster generally is just a linear boost, i.e. the pedal shouldn't add any of its own dirt and should be pretty transparent, but can drive a tube amp into more distortion.

that's the theory of course. in practice there's some overlap.

Quote by alans056

nah it's fine.

i mean tubes have heaters in them.

Quote by Emperor's Child
If you compare a Tube Screamer to something like a SD-1, I think the main difference is that the Tube screamer has assymmetrical clipping, whereas the SD-1 doesn't. It's just a different type of (subtle) overdrive really.

other way round... tubescreamer is symmetrical, sd1 asymmetrical.

but both are ods. i wouldn't call either a booster, in the technical use of the word.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 28, 2011,
haven't tried either, unfortunately. far as i'm aware the J&H is just a tubescreamer (with bass boost?) combined with a dist. Not sure about the fulltone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?