Okay, so I've been drooling over old 80's recordings and know a guy with a reel-to-reel setup that I would use, but what I'm wondering is if this mic setup I have in mind would run into any phase issues based on the knowledge of the experienced folks here.

I'm obsessed with capturing an "in-the-room, live" sound for my band when we record our demo, and want to make sure everything can be heard. In addition, I want it to sound like a live performance with the clarity of an album, so everything would be miced:

2x MXL 4000's, ten feet out to either side of the drum kit set to omni recording the whole room sound.
Drum kit miced up.
Guitars double miced.
Bass miced and/or DI'd to the board

In theory, the 4000's would pick up the room sound, and (if placed properly) the entire band. Initial scratch track would be listened to, and the whole band would be miced individually to pull out instruments/drum that don't have enough attention, and will be mixed appropriately to provide a bigger sound. Then come back and lay down solos, vocals, etc.

Would I have to worry about phase issues between the 4000's far away and the individual instrument mics? Or would I simply just use the two 4000's to get the whole band and that would be good enough?

Of course, I don't have the means to acquire this setup yet, as it's a long-term idea.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I'm not sure I understand everything you're asking, but as far as phase issues, you get that when two mics are picking up the same thing at two distances. Some people do this on purpose to add a sort of delay effect. But if you're using an omni you probably won't get too much of that.
I realized I put way too much info in the post I need to read and re-read everything I post or else I ramble incoherently.

tl;dr: Will using a stereo condenser mic setup (mics set to omni) in unison with individually miced instruments in a "live" band setting create unwanted phase issues? To clarify, it will be in a thrash/death metal setup.

In addition: Would the aforementioned stereo condenser mic setup provide a natural room reverb to the recording when blended with the close mics (which are to provide crispness)?

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

No, phase only has a noticeably negative effect when the mics are fairly close to each other so the phase delay between signals reaching them is a few ms. After this point it just starts to sound like reverb/room sound in the second mic. You'd have more to worry about with the stereo overheads and drum kit mics, if you position them too close to the kit.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Jul 28, 2011,
Gotcha. Thanks! Now to get a frikkin job and start building up my home studio

Stupid name.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Haha, even with a job I can't fund all the stuff I want to buy!

I don't think *anyone* practically can fund all the stuff they *want* to buy.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Ain't that the damn truth

Stupid name.