I have a six string acoustic, that due to terrible quality control, has some rather intense tension issues. Anyway, point is I have it in a pretty nifty tuning I enjoy; AADGBD.

Now, I'm purchasing a new electric soon, and I don't mind getting a baritone, but is it reasonable to get a standard-ish scale guitar and use a large gauge string to tune like this. What gauge would you reccomend?
Depends on what octaves you're tuning to, you'll probably have to mix and match pretty heavily to get something that works well for that tuning.
probably something with a heavy top and very light bottom
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Quote by Ascendant
Depends on what octaves you're tuning to, you'll probably have to mix and match pretty heavily to get something that works well for that tuning.

The bottom A is A2.... like Bass range. The octave below. I suspected I'd have to purchase an individual string though.

bustapr, that was my initial thought, but I don't think I can find something that is reasonably light at one end while retaining a big enough gauge for the octave drop.
You'd be better off buying a baritone

a 25inch guitar will sound like mud in A unless you use 65-70's which are unnecessary

Look for something 27-28inch scale and id suggest 10,13,17,32,45,55-60 depending on HOW tight you want the low end
buy a have gauge pack and buy a light gauge pack and like the dude said mix and match
Marty Friedman is GOD!

My Gear:

Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Quote by bustapr
buy a have gauge pack and buy a light gauge pack and like the dude said mix and match

....might wanna go ahead and buy some bass strings while youre at it
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
other than the two E strings, the tuning is pretty standard. I would say just just use regular strings for the top 5 (if you don't mind having a somewhat loose high e string) and get a single .56 or higher for your low E
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by LZRocker
....might wanna go ahead and buy some bass strings while youre at it

I think he is talking about tuning up to A not down to A, since hes talking about tuning an electric to the same tuning as his acoustic. If its tuning up to A a baritone wont be much good. Ive seen tuning up to A but never seen tuning down to a on an acoustic
Marty Friedman is GOD!

My Gear:

Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
if its tuning up to A I guess you can experiment and try to find the balance between a 42 on the bottom and an 11 or 12 on top on a normal electric since baritones are generally for low tunings.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

My Gear:

Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Quote by bustapr
I think he is talking about tuning up to A not down to A, since hes talking about tuning an electric to the same tuning as his acoustic. If its tuning up to A a baritone wont be much good. Ive seen tuning up to A but never seen tuning down to a on an acoustic

ohh!!!, . I just don't ever tune up past standard so I didn't think about that. Just assumed that it was down. I'm smart
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
Quote by GrStMyGn
The bottom A is A2.... like Bass range. The octave below. I suspected I'd have to purchase an individual string though.

bustapr, that was my initial thought, but I don't think I can find something that is reasonably light at one end while retaining a big enough gauge for the octave drop.

I'm assuming you're tuning the 6th string DOWN to an A because you said bass range which would be A1 not A2

Maybe you could try to buy strings for a 7 string guitar and use the low B in place of the E
Last edited by dlguitarmaster7 at Jul 28, 2011,
oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh well that ones strange, Ive never seen an acoustic tuned like that
Marty Friedman is GOD!

My Gear:

Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce