what would happed if i took some of the clipping diodes out of an overdrive box?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
I'd assume it would clean it up some...

But the real quesiton is why would you wanna do that?
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
if you took the diodes out you would probably open the circuit and so you would have to connect the two pins to short it, i dont know what kind of results that would have since the box was designed to have those diodes there, every diode makes a voltage drop of 0,7V so you would have to calculate and put a resistor in the place of that clipping diode. you can try it, but what do you want to achieve with this?
depending on the overdrive but generally if you take them out you'll be left with a volume boost and not much else
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
i have a crappy first act distortion box and i wanna see if i can make it an overdrive/clean boost for when i get a tube amp hopefully next week
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
erm... maybe dude. Try it, you can always put them back I guess.
WARNING:
Quote by shavorules42
Quote by WCPhils
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Quote by GABarrie
depending on the overdrive but generally if you take them out you'll be left with a volume boost and not much else

this is likely what will happen to a point. the circuit will be designed with a gratuitous amount of gain so the distortion is pretty high from the diodes. if you take them out, you will have a clean boost until a point. the transistors (less likely) or the opamps (more likely) will be overdriven at higher gain settings. just set the gain below or around the point of distortion and you will have a huge clean boost.

alot of people will say silicon bipolar transistors sound bad overdriven and opamps overdriven sound awful - oh no solid state distortion aaaaahhhhhhhh. I promise an Si bipolar over driven sounds almost identical to an Si diode and opamps overdriven sound like classic hair metal. So, not necessarily bad.
Quote by brentonlatour
this is likely what will happen to a point. the circuit will be designed with a gratuitous amount of gain so the distortion is pretty high from the diodes. if you take them out, you will have a clean boost until a point. the transistors (less likely) or the opamps (more likely) will be overdriven at higher gain settings. just set the gain below or around the point of distortion and you will have a huge clean boost.

alot of people will say silicon bipolar transistors sound bad overdriven and opamps overdriven sound awful - oh no solid state distortion aaaaahhhhhhhh. I promise an Si bipolar over driven sounds almost identical to an Si diode and opamps overdriven sound like classic hair metal. So, not necessarily bad.

Listen to this bad ass motherfucker, guys, he likes hair metal, he must be right.
WARNING:
Quote by shavorules42
Quote by WCPhils
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Quote by LZRocker
Listen to this bad ass mother****er, guys, he likes hair metal, he must be right.

aside totally from the fact that he actually is?
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Last edited by GABarrie at Jul 28, 2011,
Quote by GABarrie
aside totally from the fact that he actually is?

Yes. That matters no more.
WARNING:
Quote by shavorules42
Quote by WCPhils
Quote by Joshua Garcia