Hi all i'm using 15w Night Train and a 1x12 at home, how much better would it sound if i was to change to a 2x12 or a 4x12 orange cab, thanks Paul.
Define "better".
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
yeah i think it will just sound a bit fuller.

i personally would just stick with the 2x12 for convenience purposes. after my first half stack, i realized how unnecessary a huge cab like that is. but to each his own. most stuff gets miked anyway, so why haul around a big cab. that's just my opinion on it though
You get more headroom with a larger cab and it is usually a bigger sound which makes it louder.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
I have a 4x10, and it is unnessesary, a 2x12 will cut through the mix enough, and as someone else stated, everything is mic'd anyways.

a half stack just looks cooler!

I've actually been thinking of grabing a 2x12 for my local gigs (especially since I use two amps, one is a 1x12 combo, the other my half stack)
Cream fan club member #11.
well depending on the quality of the 1x12, getting a better quality 2x12 would improve your sound. one with the same speakers would just give you a little better projection and fuller low end.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Guys, it depends on what sound he is after. All these comments are just pissing in the wind. If he wants to sound like Hound Dog Taylor he'd be better off with a 1x12. If he wants to sound like Gary Moore then nothing short of a 4x12 will do.
Let's find out what he means by "better" before we start handing out advice, huh?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks guys it's only for use at home, do you guys think it's worth getting a bigger cab to get a better/bigger sound or would you say it's not worth the cost and would i actually notice the difference.
You're still using that subjective "better" word without explaining what you are actually trying to achieve.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by paul w1
Thanks guys it's only for use at home, do you guys think it's worth getting a bigger cab to get a better/bigger sound or would you say it's not worth the cost and would i actually notice the difference.

if it's just for home, i would stick with what you have. you might consider changing out the speaker for better tone. you might even consider getting a smaller, nicer head so you can crank it all the way to get the tubes going.
at home i just a little fender champ with a weber speaker in it.. it's just for the occasional jam session at my place for low volumes.. i also have an ibanez tube screamer which can be either 5 or 15 watts.. it sounds pretty damn good too. but for live stuff i usually use a blues deluxe reissue

but yeah, what exactly do you want to sound better? it could be something as simple as your tubes or even your pickups
i suppose by better i mean a bigger fuller sound,why do you guys use 4x12 over 1 or 2x12s?
I use a 4x12 for a few reasons.
1. It lifts the amp up to an easy height to get to while playing
2. Easier to get feedback for the infinite sustain trick
3. Beefier bottom end
4. It has wheels

Ok, the last one was a joke.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
if you are playing at your house, just keep the 1x12.

what kind of sound are you looking for? you are throwing the word "BETTER" around the place like we all know the sound you want... we don't. tone is subjective.

do you want to sound more like ac/dc, creed, coldplay, santana, john mayer, what?

because your whole "better" problem can probably be fixed by a speaker.
Quote by Cathbard
Guys, it depends on what sound he is after. All these comments are just pissing in the wind. If he wants to sound like Hound Dog Taylor he'd be better off with a 1x12. If he wants to sound like Gary Moore then nothing short of a 4x12 will do.
Let's find out what he means by "better" before we start handing out advice, huh?

+1

not to mention, if you're playing in a confined home situation, the extra fullness/loudness/whatever you want to call it might actually be the opposite of what you want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks again guys, i play G&R, Dire Straits, Green Day, punk etc. I am using the AC4 head and 1x12 cab with a ToneLab and really enjoyed the sound from it over the past few months. Had a listen to a Night Train on you tube and really liked that so i got one s/h off e/bay and that also sounds great through the Vox 1x12, i was just asking about the 4x12 to see if i could get it to sound even better than it does, there was a 4x12 on e/bay, maybe it was a silly question.
If you can afford a good 4x12, and you want the sound of a 4x12, then by all means get a 4x12. There's NO WRITTEN LAW that says that you are not allowed to play with a 4x12 cab at home. I do, I have no problem keeping it at bedroom volumes, and my amp is 100 watts. It sounds great! Fuck what UGers say! Buy what you want

Though my other concern is if your 15w head will be able to power a 4x12 fully. If not, some high-quality 2x12 like the ones by Mesa or Orange are said to sound as "big" as a 4x12. Or for cheaper, try Whitebox Engineering.
Quote by Cathbard
I use a 4x12 for a few reasons.
3. Beefier bottom end
4. It has wheels

Ok, the last one was a joke.

all great reasons right there

i like my 212 for my reasons but i do jack it up on top of a footlocker box

oh...and it matches my head
yeah but its a mother toget around, and i would rather have a great 1x12 or 2x12 with speakers of my hand selected choice than any 4x12.

again its about what suits. and we cannot forget speakers. they make more of a difference than the cab does.

a 2x12 with great speakers for what you want are going to sound fuller or better to you than a budget 4x12 with crappy speakers.

after all....a 4x12 has 2x the speakers. so by definition it should be significantly more money
Last edited by ikey_ at Jul 28, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard
Define "better".

that is what i was thinking

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it just will make it sound a bit fuller/bigger

it can, but it could as make it sound less driven as well. that energy coming from the power amp is distributed among speakers equally, and speakers don't react linearly to the intensity of the signal input, so technically you are driving a single speaker in a 1x12 harder than a single speaker in a 4x12 and this has implications on the tone.

a key example would be using a G12M-25 in a 1x12 with the night train. you might get a fairly driven tone when you crank the amp up. in a 4x12 with G12M-25 each speaker would only be seeing from the nightrain ~3/6 watts (~3 watts in with it's clean rating and a few more at most if we crank it past it's clean rating) .

the G12M-25 would sound quite a bit more tight in 4x12 in that situation, making the 1x12 more full sounding.

use a 4x12 for a few reasons.
3. Beefier bottom end

good reasons to run a 4x12. especially if you have something with something with bigger iron and the larger output tubes.

You get more headroom with a larger cab and it is usually a bigger sound which makes it louder.

'more headroom' is a misleading term. more precisely, since you are distributing output of the amp across all the speakers in a cab, you are running the speakers at a lower output than if were in a smaller cab. basically it just increases the headroom of the cab, and not the amp.

the 'bigger sound' thing is also misleading. i can achieve a 'bigger sound' using two 1x12 combos in a stereo pair set on opposite sides of the stage. more accurately, i'd say your projecting the audio output across a larger surface area, which results in a wider projection area. you also get phasing interplay from the different speakers sharing the same cab and airspace.

you also increase effective speaker area equivalence when you wire speaker in parallel, this effects your low end response (ie. you get more low end with a 4x12).

Thanks again guys, i play G&R, Dire Straits, Green Day, punk etc. I am using the AC4 head and 1x12 cab with a ToneLab and really enjoyed the sound from it over the past few months. Had a listen to a Night Train on you tube and really liked that so i got one s/h off e/bay and that also sounds great through the Vox 1x12, i was just asking about the 4x12 to see if i could get it to sound even better than it does, there was a 4x12 on e/bay, maybe it was a silly question.

i think you should take it to the store and try some 4x12 cabs with it, bring your own cab to compare against and see if you like it.

another approach is to get a wimpier speaker. i use a 1950's bell and howell movie projector speaker cabinet with a 15 watt jenson (original speaker). it's cool.

(Invalid img)

that is not mine, but it looks just like it. the point being, a cab like that with your vox will sound real big and driven. you don't need to go that far, but reloading your cab with a weber like:

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/asig12r.htm

or

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/asig12.htm

or, the more expensive

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/silver12f.htm

i personally use a 2x12, stood up sideways. but i also tend to use at least one other amp. i don't need to worry about 'big sound', it's a default in my rig (the problem is trying to be subtle with it.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Thanks again guys, from what you have all said i think i will stay with the 1x12 Vox for now as i do like the sound i get from it. A friend of mine is getting a Tiny Terror in a few months with a 2x12 orange cab, when he gets it i will plug my Night Train in the cab and see if i like it,,,,Paul.