Page 1 of 5
So let´s not bash The Rolling Stone....... let´s talk about the importance of those albums and what´s missing. I think the band must be somehow important not necessarily good. That´s why Gallows are on there...... anyway in chronological order:

01. The Sonics - Here are The Sonics!!!
02. The Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat
03. MC5 - Kick out the Jams
04. The Stooges - The Stooges
05. The Stooges - Raw Power
06. Ramones - Ramones
07. The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers
08. The Damned - Damned Damned Damned
09. The Clash - The Clash
10. Radio Birdman - Radios Appear
11. Richard Hell & The Voidoids - Blank Generation
12. Dead Boys - Young, Loud and Snotty
13. Sex Pistols - Never mind the Bollocks
14. Ramones - Rocket to Russia
15. Wire - Pink Flag
16. Sham 69 - Tell us the truth
17. Elvis Costello & The Attractions - This year´s model
18. The Jam - All Mod Cons
19. Wipers - Is this real?
20. Stiff Little Fingers - Inflammable Material
21. Buzzcocks - Singles going steady
22. Gang of Four - Entertainment
23. The Slits - Cut
24. The Clash - London Calling
25. X - Los Angeles
26. Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
27. Der KFC - ... letzte Hoffnung
28. The Exploited - Punk´s not dead
29. Slime - Slime 1
30. Black Flag - Damaged
31. Bad Brains - Bad Brains
32. Crass - Christ the Album
33. Die Toten Hosen - Opel Gang
34. Minor Threat - Minor Threat
35. Hüsker Dü - Zen Arcade
36. Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime
37. The Fall - This Nation´s Saving Grace
38. Big Black - Songs about ****ing
39. Bad Religion - Suffer
40. Nirvana - Bleach
41. NOFX - S&M Airlines
42. Fugazi - Repeater
43. Nation of Ulysses - 13 Point Program to destroy America
44. Rancid - Rancid
45. Green Day - Dookie
46. Social Distortion - White Light, White Heat, White Trash
47. Sleater Kinney - Dig me out
48. At the Drive-In - Relationship of Command
49. Die Goldenen Zitronen - Lenin
50. Gallows - Orchestra of Wolves

In the 80s they must have missed Great Britain, I think Discharge are both, famous and imporant to be mentioned, as are The Stranglers (if Elvis Costello is punk...).
Instead of Rancid Operation Ivy could have been on. I think in the 90s they´ve missed everything that´s beyond pop. I think there are lots of bands that are more important for punk, even for 90s punk.
lol Nirvana? I think they kind of invented something called grunge and for that matter they shouldnt be called punk... but hey, thats just me... xD

EDIT: And if you're going to call them punk, at least give them a higher place on the list... xD

EDIT2: Oops, i just noticed its a chronological order xD
Last edited by tntero at Jul 28, 2011,
Quote by tntero
lol Nirvana? I think they kind of invented something called grunge and for that matter they shouldnt be called punk... but hey, thats just me... xD

I don't want to get into a massive debate about this but Nirvana didn't invent grunge. They - along with a couple of other bands - simply made it popular.

OT: Decent list I suppose, I more or less agree with everything in the top 10
Quote by the_hoodster
I don't want to get into a massive debate about this but Nirvana didn't invent grunge. They - along with a couple of other bands - simply made it popular.

OT: Decent list I suppose, I more or less agree with everything in the top 10

well i said they invented it, didnt say they did it alone, but i get what youre saying, anyway, thats not the point, the point is i dont know how correct it is to call them punk...
Offspring should be on there, Ignition or Smash, specifically.

and Greenday? LOL
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Adolescent's first album should be top ten easily. Offspring isn't that much punk but if Nirvana is up there then Offspring should have one of their first four albums up there.
Where are the Misfits? Static Age should be on there. Also, Rocket to Russia instead of the Ramones self-titled album. I'm glad to see at least one NOFX record but Punk in Drublic is much better. I'm very happy about seeing Fugazi, Husker Du, and Bad Brains.

EDIT: Just saw Rocket to Russia
you're a stone fox
Last edited by Saint78 at Jul 28, 2011,
meh. and why is it nobody gives attention to The Stooges "Fun House", which is their best.

some good choices on their, but some awful ones as well.
I fail to see how NOFX is important or influential, or how Rancid's self titled album is somehow more important than ...And Out Come the Wolves. Nobody knew who Rancid was in 1992. Also, plenty of love for the Stooges, but where are the New York Dolls?!

All that being said, I'm going down this list and downloading everything. Oh and major kudos to Rolling Stone for having the Nation of Ulysses and the Wipers on there. Two completely unrelated but equally important and underrated bands.

Quote by tntero
well i said they invented it, didnt say they did it alone, but i get what youre saying, anyway, thats not the point, the point is i dont know how correct it is to call them punk...

It is correct, because they were a punk band.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Last edited by JesusOfSbrbia at Jul 28, 2011,
This list is surprisingly decent. Except for the doubles. Clear those up and make space for more bands.

The posts in this thread are unsurprisingly bad.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
yeah this list kinda sucks...

why they put in S&M Airlines and not Op Ivy is beyond me. also seems like the list is really imbalanced between early punk and more recent stuff. it seems like once they reached the late 80's they gave up and just put a bunch of top sellers. i feel like the Dead Milkmen are a bit more deserving of a spot here than some
As much as I luv The Stooges, they could have spared the debut from the list. As much as I really dig The Modern Lovers, they don't belong in the top 50. As much as I don't like The Clash much anymore, London Calling should be on there too.

Nix The Jam 'cuz they were never important enough for me to care about them.

I don't know about The Slits; I suspect they were chosen because they were chix, which is a legitimate reason, but they still seem out of place next to the heavyweights on this list.

Radio Birdman aren't really all that relevant in a worldwide context.

X is great, but they get a disproportionate amount of attention from rock critic types.

I don't even know Der KFC or Die Goldenen Zitronen. Slime and Die Toten Hosen wouldn't belong here if this were an Anglo-American list, but I trust they're important enough to Germany.

I don't think The Fall or Big Black should have quite made the cut. Nation of Ulysses never seemed like a really big deal to me, nor did Sleater-Kinney. Refused and Bikini Kill could take their places, respectively.

I wouldn't include Social Distortion. Gallows haven't really made a splash at all in my world. Maybe in Europe they have.

Yeah, leaving off Discharge is ridic. While the list is already sort of proto-punk heavy, ya can't leave out the New York Dolls. It also needs Nervous Breakdown, Milo Goes to College, something by The Germs, and 24 Hour Revenge Therapy. Also missing is the token shitty crossover thrash band. And even these oblivious douches could have thrown in Amebix or something. Blink-182 should be on there too. That's just the stuff that immediately springs to mind.

Feeding of the 5000 is more important than Christ the Album. Bleach should be replaced with Nevermind. Neither of them are really punk albums, nor are either the band's best, but Nevermind is way more important. I'm not familiar with S&M Airlines, but I think Punk in Drublic is more deserving. Change Rancid to …And Out Come the Wolves.

These are my immediate reactions. Of course the whole thing is silly to begin with, but hey, it's a new thread and it's not spam! That's something special these days.
Oh, also The Misfits, Op Ivy (like ya said in the OP), and Gorilla Biscuits should def be included.

I'd take off Rocket to Russia. Just because it's really popular doesn't mean it's important—it didn't really change much.

I personally think The Wipers are a little iffy, 'cuz it seems like their impact was way delayed.

And yeah, rock critic cunts think there was a black hole that sucked up all the punk rawk in the late '80s.

Oh and it needs some token folk punk.
Folk punk needs no mention whatsoever, it's garbage and influences no one but other folk punks.

The Nation of Ulysses is a good band to sum up Dischord in the late eighties/early nineties, and were extremely influential on post hardcore and screamo. I'm almost glad they got mentioned rather than Rites of Spring (which would have just been an easy and obvious pick)

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Quote by JesusOfSbrbia
Folk punk needs no mention whatsoever, it's garbage and influences no one but other folk punks.

I agree, but it's still a pretty big thing that probably warrants acknowledgment. Whatever though, the whole premise of the list is absurd.
Dig Me Out \m/

I think the problem with making a "X top punk albums" list is that there's really never been a solid definition of punk. I would say Horses & Marquee Moon are quintessential punk albums. Bleach, whether it's punk or not (it's not), is garbage, and I don't understand why anyone ever wants to talk about it.

I agree with a lot of what werty said, except the part where he said Sleater-Kinney didn't matter.
Subhumans should be here, and I don't even like 'em. Also maybe Youth of Today, but they're probs too HC for Rolling Stone. Also D.O.A. are important as pioneers of insipid orthodox middle-of-the-road punk.

I just never really hear anything about Sleater-Kinney outside of the occasional mention of them on this forum. I'm sure they matter, just not enough to be in this Official Definitive Only Punk That Matters And If You Know These You Know Everything About Punk list.
I'd like to see Mission of Burma on there, Vs. is one of the best punk records this side of '77.

Personally, I think Sleater-Kinney were the best band of the '90s/'00s. But I think yr right, Bikini Kill had more importance what with starting the whole riot grrrl thing.
Gallows, Rancid, NOFX, Green Day, as much as i like them, they shouldn't really be on this list.

Personally i would have liked these albums on there:
Adolescents - s/t
Descendents - Milo Goes To College
Angry Samoans - Back To Samoa
Undertones - s/t
The Ruts - The Crack
The Misfits - Static Age
Minutemen - The Punch Line
G.B.H - City Baby Attacked By Rats
Discharge - Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing
Black Flag - The First Four Years
Anti-Nowhere League - We Are ... The League

Edit: Sorry, didn't read properly.
"Most important punk albums"
Eh, i suppose Green Day, Rancid and NOFX should be on there if this list is about influential releases in the "punk" genres.

Double edit:

The **** is The Exploited doing on there with Punk Ain't Dead?
If anything Discharge 'Hear Nothing....' should be in it's place.
Last edited by SumFX at Jul 28, 2011,
Milo Goes to College definitely oughtta be there. I don't think The Punch Line is that important, though. I love the Minutemen, but Double Nickels is enough.

I'd definitely rather see The First Four Years or My War than Damaged. I've always thought Damaged was a pretty shitty record.
Quote by BK202
MoB should be on there.
For shure

Naked Raygun deserves an honorable mention, and Cap'n Jazz inspired a whole bunch of clones like a decade later.
Agree. I was going to say HWM, but Naked Raygun kind of covers that role, while giving the Chicago scene acknowledgement. I agree with Cap'n Jazz too.
Quote by SumFX
Gallows, Rancid, NOFX, Green Day, as much as i like them, they shouldn't really be on this list.
I think Green Day should because they're a great representation of pop punk, east bay punk, and are responsible for millions of people getting into punk across the globe. Rancid could be taken off, but I'm fine with them being on it. NoFX should probably come off. And Gallows must be more popular than I realized. I don't know why they're on there. They aren't a great representation of modern punk.

Personally i would have liked these albums on there:
Adolescents - s/t Nah
Descendents - Milo Goes To College Most def. How they left that off I'll never know.
Angry Samoans - Back To Samoa nah
Undertones - s/t nope
The Ruts - The Crack nope
The Misfits - Static Age yes
Minutemen - The Punch Line Their most definitive album is on there.
G.B.H - City Baby Attacked By Rats Borderline
Discharge - Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing Yep. Replace the Exploited with this.
Black Flag - The First Four Years Wouldn't mind this, but I think Damaged is typically more lauded in the mainstream press.
Anti-Nowhere League - We Are ... The League Borderline.
My thoughts on those in bold.
Quote by neidnarb11890
I'd definitely rather see The First Four Years or My War than Damaged. I've always thought Damaged was a pretty shitty record.
Although My War is my favorite Black Flag album, and whenever they're mentioned I hear "MYYYYYYYYYYY WAAAR" in my head (lol) I think Damaged is more "classic."
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by ManicRepression
meh. and why is it nobody gives attention to The Stooges "Fun House", which is their best.

some good choices on their, but some awful ones as well.

It's good, but self titled and Raw Power are both better.
Quote by BK202
Impressed that Rolling Stone knows Big Black.

Ever since Albini recorded In Utero, they've known Big Black.
Replace Gallows with Refused.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

They included Rancid over Green Day and left out Operation Ivy? I don't get that.

It's pretty stupid that they left out Milo Goes To College too, since it pretty much kicked off an entire subgenre. And it rules

I think 13 Songs would have been the better Fugazi album.

Zen Arcade being so low is bizarre.

This isn't even my fandom speaking, but Jawbreaker should have been on that list. They practically started the whole 'orgcore' thing and spawned a thousand copycat bands.

The list focuses too much on the influences and origins of punk and doesn't put emphasis on the way punk has evolved throughout the years. Not that I care or anything. >.>
The only revisions I would make is I guess taking out the Gallows and Nofx albums, replacing them with Smash and My War.

also I might replace Bleach with Nevermind. I'm not completely sure why they went Bleach over Nevermind, when Nevermind was definitely more influential (also it gives Rolling Stone a boner, and they like to put it on EVERY list).
Quote by due 07
They included Rancid over Green Day and left out Operation Ivy? I don't get that.

It's pretty stupid that they left out Milo Goes To College too, since it pretty much kicked off an entire subgenre. And it rules

Zen Arcade being so low is bizarre.

This isn't even my fandom speaking, but Jawbreaker should have been on that list. They practically started the whole 'orgcore' thing and spawned a thousand copycat bands.

The list focuses too much on the influences and origins of punk and doesn't put emphasis on the way punk has evolved throughout the years. Not that I care or anything. >.>

It's in chronological order.

and I agree about 13 songs being better.
Quote by due 07
No way. Repeater is not only much better, but it's also a better representation of Fugazi's sound.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by element4433
No way. Repeater is not only much better, but it's also a better representation of Fugazi's sound.

Still, if you ask someone what Fugazi's two most well known songs are, they'd say Waiting Room and Suggestion, which are both on 13 songs.

I also just like 13 songs more. I dunno why.
Quote by due 07

Jawbreaker is my favorite band ever, but I gotta give credit for "orgcore" to Leatherface. They'd been doing it since the eighties, and were the biggest influence on bands like Hot Water Music. Jawbreaker's range of influence extends more into emo than punk, in my opinion.

So I guess Mush by Leatherface should be on there.

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Last edited by JesusOfSbrbia at Jul 28, 2011,
Quote by iwannabesedated
It's in chronological order.
Oh.

Quote by element4433
But the list isn't about picking the best albums or the albums that best represent Fugazi's sound.
No, but Repeater is still more influential.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Fugazi's entire discography deserves mention. They're one of the most influential bands of the last twenty years, and singling out which of their albums is the most "important" would be far more difficult than choosing your favorite one.

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
And every album they've released is better than the one before it.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Page 1 of 5