Page 1 of 2
is there a way i can take a second volume pot and solder it as a FURTHER boost?
like the one volume makes it go 10
then the second makes it go 20?
is this possible?
wiring scheme?
no, more pots->more resitance->lower output. volume pots don't amplify the signal, they only allow you to reduce the volume.

edit:
(sarcasm)
you could also just get some custom made(or make them yourself) pot caps that would be marked up to 20 instead of 10
(/sarcasm)
Last edited by KorYi at Jul 28, 2011,
....dude... this is almost as awesome as making it go to 11.....

(meaning totally useless, but cool in a really weird stupid way)
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
The simple answer is no. The volume pot (and tone pots too) are passive alterations to the sound. This means that nothing is ever added to the tone, only taken away. When your tone pot is at 10, it doesn't mean you've added any higher frequencies, it means you haven't taken them away*, and the same applies to volume. your volume knob at 10 means you're not taking away volume*, not that you're adding it.
However, if you wire in an active circuit (includes a voltage source of some kind, like a 9V battery for instance), you can have a significant boost in volume. If you search for EMG aftermarket accessories, you'll find all sorts of solo boosts and mid boosts and such to install in your guitar.

Note: statements ending in an asterisk are simplified. In real life because of the laws of physics these statements aren't entirely true, but for your purposes will suit you just fine.
Quote by Ice4600
The simple answer is no. The volume pot (and tone pots too) are passive alterations to the sound. This means that nothing is ever added to the tone, only taken away. When your tone pot is at 10, it doesn't mean you've added any higher frequencies, it means you haven't taken them away*, and the same applies to volume. your volume knob at 10 means you're not taking away volume*, not that you're adding it.
However, if you wire in an active circuit (includes a voltage source of some kind, like a 9V battery for instance), you can have a significant boost in volume. If you search for EMG aftermarket accessories, you'll find all sorts of solo boosts and mid boosts and such to install in your guitar.

Note: statements ending in an asterisk are simplified. In real life because of the laws of physics these statements aren't entirely true, but for your purposes will suit you just fine.

is there a wiring diagram to make a gain boost from an old tone pot?
I HAVE A CRAP LOAD OF WIRE and spare pots
Quote by Ice4600
Physics, always messing with tone >.<
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by fenderfreak100
is there a wiring diagram to make a gain boost from an old tone pot?
I HAVE A CRAP LOAD OF WIRE and spare pots

to make a gain boost you need way more than a pot and wire, the best way to do it is perhaps an OPAMP, but that way you'll have to "dig" a battery cavity because you cant make power from thin air, it needs to come from a battery. but yeah, sure, its doable

EDIT: http://www.muzique.com/images/lpb3.gif <-This is probably one of the simplest gain circuits you can make, it should be fairly easy to build it into your guitar.
Last edited by tntero at Jul 28, 2011,
you can't get any extra volume from a pot. period.

if you want to go with something like Ice4600 said you technically need to either get or make yourself (I'd recommend to get one) amp that you wire in the guitar. I'm pretty sure that if you google for a bit you'll surely find some solution that would work for you.

edit:
Quote by Ice4600

If you search for EMG aftermarket accessories, you'll find all sorts of solo boosts and mid boosts and such to install in your guitar.

that^
Last edited by KorYi at Jul 28, 2011,
Quote by tntero
to make a gain boost you need way more than a pot and wire, the best way to do it is perhaps an OPAMP, but that way you'll have to "dig" a battery cavity because you cant mkae power from thin air, it needs to come from a battery. but yeah, sure, its doable

can you put together a shopping list?
then make a diagram?
thanks for the help
dude.... justn pay a geisha girl to crank up your amp right before a solo.....
WARNING:
Quote by shavorules42
Quote by WCPhils
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Quote by fenderfreak100
can you put together a shopping list?
then make a diagram?
thanks for the help

i just edited my last post with a schematic of a simple, and i mean really simple circuit, dont know how good it will work, but it should be fine for what you want, if you dont like how it sounds and dont want to use it permanently, you can always put it inside a case and use it as a pedal or sell it.
Quote by tntero
i just edited my last post with a schematic of a simple, and i mean really simple circuit, dont know how good it will work, but it should be fine for what you want, if you dont like how it sounds and dont want to use it permanently, you can always put it inside a case and use it as a pedal or sell it.

okay
so im a bit confused
could you simplify it with lables pl
alternatively you could wire a circuit with a MosFET or a MosFET pair, I like the tone you get from MosFETs over JFETs or BJTs
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Quote by fenderfreak100
okay
so im a bit confused

cause even though it looks simple enough
this will be my first circuit build and i dont want to mess it up
Quote by fenderfreak100
okay
so im a bit confused

its not my circuit, and making labels will not help if you know nothing about electronics, but basically, you connect the wire that should go to the jack output of the guitar to the IN of the circuit, the 0.22 capacitor acts as a filter, the the two resistors are a voltage divider, to the base of the transistor, the transistor amplifies the signal that it gets on the emitter, then the other 0.22 cap its an output filter to the 100k volume pot, the middle pin of the pot connects to the guitar output jack, you connect all ground wires to the bridge(the guitar ground reference) and the battery's - also connected to the bridge(or whatever your guitar uses as a ground reference, but because it is a strat, it should use the bridge).
Quote by tntero
its not my circuit, and making labels will not help if you know nothing about electronics, but basically, you connect the wire that should go to the jack output of the guitar to the IN of the circuit, the 0.22 capacitor acts as a filter, the the two resistors are a voltage divider, to the base of the transistor, the transistor amplifies the signal that it gets on the emitter, then the other 0.22 cap its an output filter to the 100k volume pot, the middle pin of the pot connects to the guitar output jack, you connect all ground wires to the bridge(the guitar ground reference) and the battery's - also connected to the bridge(or whatever your guitar uses as a ground reference, but because it is a strat, it should use the bridge).

im not a noob when it comes to wiring
i have my first tone pot wired as a seperate volume for the neck pickup (but still use the master volume as the master)
i just dont want to mess up my first circuit build

where do i get the 0.22 capacitors? (same as are on the tone pots already?
and does this need to be in an actual circuit board?
Quote by teh_goon
dosen't ts essentially just want a boost pedal?

not a pedal
a gain boost IN my guitar I.E. the Alexi Laiho signature pickup/gain boost set
but the gain boost is $47
i thought i could rig something
Dude, like I said earlier, "dude.... justn pay a geisha girl to crank up your amp right before a solo....."
WARNING:
Quote by shavorules42
Quote by WCPhils
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Quote by LZRocker
Dude, like I said earlier, "dude.... justn pay a geisha girl to crank up your amp right before a solo....."

wouldnt it be cheaper in the long run to just get an onboard gain boost?or pedal
but you loose the visual component
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Quote by fenderfreak100
im not a noob when it comes to wiring
i have my first tone pot wired as a seperate volume for the neck pickup (but still use the master volume as the master)
i just dont want to mess up my first circuit build

where do i get the 0.22 capacitors? (same as are on the tone pots already?
and does this need to be in an actual circuit board?

okay, youre not a noob in wiring, but do you know electronics? like how to read a schematic and implement it on a breadboard for example, for testing purposes? i just simulated this circuit and it works just fine, i used a 2n2222 as Q1 which gives me an approximately 18x gain, the capacitors, resistors and the transistor are fairly easy to find at any electronics shop
Quote by tntero
okay, youre not a noob in wiring, but do you know electronics? like how to read a schematic and implement it on a breadboard for example, for testing purposes? i just simulated this circuit and it works just fine, i used a 2n2222 as Q1 which gives me an approximately 18x gain, the capacitors, resistors and the transistor are fairly easy to find at any electronics shop

okay
how bout a picture of what you made?
im confident i can build this
Quote by fenderfreak100
wouldnt it be cheaper in the long run to just get an onboard gain boost?or pedal

....not by much, lol. (meaning they're cheap, not that pedals are expensive)

And besides, pedals don't give handjobs.
WARNING:
Quote by shavorules42
Quote by WCPhils
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Quote by LZRocker
....not by much, lol. (meaning they're cheap, not that pedals are expensive)

And besides, pedals don't give handjobs.

what if i dont want a hand job?
Quote by fenderfreak100
okay
how bout a picture of what you made?
im confident i can build this

i didnt actually make anything, i ran it through a simulation program, multisim, i can get you screenshot, maybe if you give me one or two days to buy the parts, i might make one for myself, and then i can send you photos.

give me a sec and i'll edit this post with the links of tinypic for the screenshots or something.

EDIT: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/163/booster.png/
Quote by tntero
i didnt actually make anything, i ran it through a simulation program, multisim, i can get you screenshot, maybe if you give me one or two days to buy the parts, i might make one for myself, and then i can send you photos.

give me a sec and i'll edit this post with the links of tinypic for the screenshots or something.

thanks man
i just dont want to mess this up
can i pul the capacitors out of 2 old tone pots?
Quote by fenderfreak100
what if i dont want a hand job?

then hire a mexican

EDIT: I'm from Texas, it's not racist, people really do hire mexicans to do stuff like that here.
WARNING:
Quote by shavorules42
Quote by WCPhils
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Quote by fenderfreak100
thanks man
i just dont want to mess this up
can i pul the capacitors out of 2 old tone pots?

i dont know what are the values of those capacitors, but if the values are not the same, i wouldnt do it, also, capacitors are pretty cheap, its not worth the risk, also, test this before going mad and drilling your guitar, you dont want to build a battery cavity and then end up not using it because the project went wrong

EDIT: I posted the link, and btw, dont care about the green things there, its an oscilloscope and a function generator, i used it to interpret and read the signals, where i connected them you should connect in and out respectively
Quote by tntero
i dont know what are the values of those capacitors, but if the values are not the same, i wouldnt do it, also, capacitors are pretty cheap, its not worth the risk, also, test this before going mad and drilling your guitar, you dont want to build a battery cavity and then end up not using it because the project went wrong

EDIT: I posted the link, and btw, dont care about the green things there, its an oscilloscope and a function generator, i used it to interpret and read the signals, where i connected them you should connect in and out respectively

fair point
i cant really read that all too welll (keep in mind i have never built a circuit)
can you dumb it down?
Last edited by fenderfreak100 at Jul 28, 2011,
Quote by fenderfreak100
fair point
i cant really read that all too welll (keep in mind i have never built a circuit)
can you dumb it down?

dumb what down? constructing a circuit? its fairly simple, capacitors dont have polarity, same for resistors, so you can connect them either way around.

transistors have 3 pins, Emitter, Base and Collector, the Base is the middle pin in the circuit, the collector is what connects to the minus of the battery, and the emitter is what connects to the out, have the guy in the store telling you which pin is which, also, print the schematic i gave you, and show it to the guy in the store, im assuming you dont have a breadboard, buy one, ask the guy in the store to give you some tips on how to do that circuit, also, you might want to buy female jack adapters to connect the jacks from the guitar and to the amp.

So, what you need to buy:

Resistors with the values that are in the schematic
Capacitors also with the values there
2 Female 1/4'' Mono jack adapters
1 NPN Transistor i recommend a 2n2222, its good for audio purposes
1 9V battery adapter

That should be it, since you already have the 100k pot, if its not 100k, its alright, actually if its higher value than 100k, it should give you a "finer"(i know thats not the right word xD) adjustment to the booster.
Quote by fenderfreak100
why am i in your signature?

becuase youre a shit head?

just an idea
WARNING:
Quote by shavorules42
Quote by WCPhils
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Quote by fenderfreak100
why am i in your signature?

because your post was humorous and i want to share it.
Quote by brentonlatour
because your post was humorous and i want to share it.

please take both of my quotes out of your signature
of i will contact a moderator, as i did not give you permission to use them
Quote by fenderfreak100
please take both of my quotes out of your signature
of i will contact a moderator, as i did not give you permission to use them

....dude, he's probably gonna make that a quote.. as your lawyer I advise your to just stop saying anything.
WARNING:
Quote by shavorules42
Quote by WCPhils
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Page 1 of 2