Hey, I have given up on the route of buying a competent computer with interface for recording and would like to go down the MTR route. Can the wizards of UG tell me what would be the best MTR for around £250?

In terms of specifics all I can really think is that I would like it to have 8 tracks and that I'll be using it to record and produce my own songs.

Thank you for any help
I have a fairly limited amount of knowledge on this, but for me the FOstex MR8 MKii is a great multitracker for under that value, it has 8 tracks (records upto 2 simultaneously), records onto compact flash, and is highly portable. The portability if a must for me. I record parts onto it, and then transfer them onto the computer for mixing etc through reaper, which inceidently I love. As I'm on computers all day I try and do as much recording etc as possible on other hardware, but it is a whole load easier to mix it on the computer IMO. The one thing I have found with the MR8 recently is that I needed to buy a seperate mic preamp to get a good level with my mic, but that only cost around £30 and it seems ok (it was a Behringer Mic100).
Thanks for the informative reply!

I'm not really concerned about having too many bells and whistles on it, such as amp simulators.. Just to make sure that the pre-amps and inputs e.t.c are as high quality as I can get for that price.
Amp sims are not usually built into the interface. You apply them in the DAW. For that much money, I'd go buy a decent USB interface. Tascam makes good ones, like the US-1800 or US-2000. But if you're really set on an MTR, Boss makes several that allow for recording up to 8 tracks at a time (though you can record as many as you'd like with a USB/Firewire interface with enough inputs).
Cheers, I am just sick of trying interfaces. I have an Acer Aspire 6530G laptop with the following specs:

AMD Turion X2 RM-72, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 512MB

It just doesn't seem powerful enough to cover making an entire song with VSTs e.t.c so I thought the MTR route was much better.
I use a laptop with a 2.3 Ghz processor and have tracked up to 12 tracks at once. You're only going to apply VSTs, etc, after you record, so it doesn't really affect how many tracks you can record. Actual recording uses up very little processing power, it's once you start throwing half a dozen VSTs on each track that it starts to get bogged down a little.

But suit yourself.