Hey Guys,

First of all i'm french so sorry for my ugly and weird english.
I'm looking for guitar cab advices.
I want a very powerfull sound, able to shout heavy bass frequencies without tainting on the high frequencies.
I hesitate between :

- 4*12 (square) matched with a 1*15 (square) under.
- 4*12 (square) matched with a 2*15 (square) under.
- 4*12 (square) matched with a 2*15 (rectangular) under and laid down.
- 4*12 (square) matched with a 1*18 (square)
- 2*12 (square) matched with a 1*15 (square)

MATCHED WITH A 100W OR 200 MATAMP HEAD, don't know yet..

I'll drool over your advices !!
CHEEEEEEERS !
Are you certain you don't mean bass, lol? You certainly won't need more than a 4x12 to get a lot of low end out of your cab... in fact, using a larger, additional speaker more-often suited to bass guitar is pretty pointless, because you'll lose a lot of high-end clarity, or at the least need to invest in a good cross-over system (which you haven't mentioned) to separate out the signal to better suit the larger speaker... even though the guitar cab doesn't need any less bass to perform efficiently, hence the lack of a point to this.

Also, if you've ever recorded a large 4x12 powered by a high-gain head, you'll know that the low end on larger cabs and even on 12" speakers can be enough of a nuisance to tame and allow the bass guitar some space... get an even larger speaker, and all the sound guy will do is lop even more low end off your sound to compensate, so while you might think that your sound is good (in your ears) on stage - it will sound completely different FOH.

Tl;dr = you probably should read what I said anyway, and my advice would be to just get a good 4x12. Mesa and ENGL make great 4x12's for heavier stuff, in my opinion, and I also love my Hughes & Kettner VC412.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
The guitarist from Rosetta uses a 4x12 and a 1x15 and it sounds awesome. The guy that posted above me doesn't know what he's talking about.
Quote by phoenix_crush
The guitarist from Rosetta uses a 4x12 and a 1x15 and it sounds awesome. The guy that posted above me doesn't know what he's talking about.

Nope, I'm only a sound engineer who deals with this sort of thing all the time

If you think that just because someone famous (not that I've heard of Rosetta, so they're obviously not incredibly popular) uses one it means it is a good idea, you're an idiot. Why else do you see nearly every single metal or rock band in existence using 4x12's? Why do people record 4x12's in the studio? Because they're happy to compromise on sound for what everyone else is seen doing?

Quote by Robbgnarly
I believe Randall makes a cab that is a 2x12 1x15 configuration. But you only need a 4x12 to get a lot of lows and still retain hi's. Bogner makes the Ubercab, that is a 4x12 cab with Celestion V30's and G12T75's in an X pattern you get incredible lows, mids and hi's.

At least someone else in this thread has their head screwed on!
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Jul 28, 2011,
I believe Randall makes a cab that is a 2x12 1x15 configuration. But you only need a 4x12 to get a lot of lows and still retain hi's. Bogner makes the Ubercab, that is a 4x12 cab with Celestion V30's and G12T75's in an X pattern you get incredible lows, mids and hi's.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I just realized your geting a matamp, just get the 6x12 cab and be done with it.

We dont have Matamp in the USA, we have Electric amp( Same amps, diff name)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
No, I think it's a good idea because a band that sounds very good live uses it to great effect. I know of other bands that do the same and they also sound great live. So sorry, but you lose.
Quote by phoenix_crush
No, I think it's a good idea because a band that sounds very good live uses it to great effect. I know of other bands that do the same and they also sound great live. So sorry, but you lose.

So because you believe bands you like soud good live, that means you must be right?

1) How do you know the larger speaker is doing anything positive to the sound - have you heard the same guitarist using just a 4x12?

2) How do you know it isn't the sound guy making them sound good FOH by reducing the low end from the guitar to compensate?

3) I didn't say it would sound bad, I just said it was pointless and the effects would most likely be detrimental.

Despite your clear immaturity and lack of logic, I'll try not to reply further to your idiocy and let TS make his own mind up, unless anyone has a valid point to make counter to what I've claimed.
The 1X15 or 2X15 only really works for stoner/doom stuff where you want a ton of loose, boomy bass IMO. A nice 412 has more than enough low end and 12" speakers are much, much better at reproducing highs than 15" speakers.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
All you need is a 4x12, I can get my 1x12 to shake my entire room, and is plenty for small to medium gigs, with plenty of low end, prolly too much, sound guys don't like me too much

A 4x12 with good speakers will be enough, guitar is a mid range instrument, let the bass handle your low end for you.
Quote by Robbgnarly

i have the randall 2x12" 1x15" cab. i put T75's in the upper and left the legend on the bottom. it is actually quite useful. it is ported from the factory and it really suprisingly stays relatively tight with the Splawn Pro Mod, better tone than the 4x12" Mesa cab the Nitro is used with.

it works great until you start tuning too low. if you are thinking of tuning to B or something, i wouldn't advise it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/