Hey!

I like melodic death metal and if you take one of Finlands best bands of my opinion: Children of Bodom and Norther (and maybe Kalmah) and Sweden's best bands: In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, and At The Gates, at least I notice that the swedish bands and the finnish bands sound a lot like each other ...

I hope to form a band in the close future and I am already researching on the swedish melodic death metal style which have A LOT of harmonics (In Flames, Dark Tranquillity). Problem is that I feel there is nothing new to come out of it ... there are too much harmonics in the other melodeath bands so I fear that my band will sound too much like other bands even if I bring in a keyboardist and play the finnish style ... Of course my band will structure harmonics different than the other bands, but the principle is the same. I feel the same with thrash metal too ... if you compare Kreator to Exodus they are very similliar.

This is my fear for everything that comes out of me ... and it may be because of my lack of theory (I only know power chords, the pentatonic and the blues scale)? I don't know ... so what do you think?

Here is a riff I made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2052jy1E2ng&feature=channel_video_title
harmonics? what!?

harmonics and harmonies are not the same thing

..and melo death is DEAD. so 2003...
Quote by Fat g0r0T
harmonics? what!?

Okay ... I meant harmonies then ... also melodeath is not dead! Or at least will not be dead anymore as soon as i'll get together a band!
my guess is that you shouldnt worry about that, im not much into the metal genre, so i dont even know how in flames sound like to compare to your riff, but it seems quite a nice riff, you shouldnt worry about it being similar to others, you will, in time, find your own voice, that shouldnt be a worry, btw, i always wondered, what effect are you using to create that 2 guitars effect? is it detune or something? it seems to be heard quite often in the metal genre
Well, sounding similar comes with playing in a certain genre. There will be some similarities between your band and the ones you listed(I'm a melodic death metal guitarist too).

As for theory, I recommend learning how to use different types of chords in metal, as well as learning more scales and some exotic scales for some really weird stuff. Learn the harmonic minor scale, melodic minor scale, natural minor scale(similar to the blues scale), and the diminished scale and those are, from what I can tell, the most common scales used in metal. They will work a lot better than the pentatonic scale, trust me.

Experiment with note positions in your power chords. What I mean is, most power chords use the intervals 5 and 4(i.e. 0 on the E string, 2 on the A string, 2 on the D string for fret position, and the 2 on the D is an octave of the 0 on E, with the three notes being E B E). While this does sound good, it gets stale after a while. Try doing a 5th chord(i.e. 0 on E, 2 on A, 4 on D, which creates a very nice sounding harmony, with the notes being E B F#/Gb).

I love metal because there are so many different things you can do.

Hope my little spiel here helped a bit.

Just try and develop your own style and you'll be fine.

Oh and with that riff you did, I think you meant to say "harmony" rather than "harmonics" lol.
Last edited by ciadude2 at Jul 28, 2011,
Quote by Fat g0r0T
harmonics? what!?

oh, its an harmony effect, i thought it would be some kind of pitch shifting effect, nevermind my question on the other post xD
I wouldn't worry about sounding like others if I were you. If you obssess about it, you'll end up becoming very frustrated. When you start writing, it's probably going to sound a lot like your big influences: that's nothing to worry about. The best thing you can do is to absorb many influences and write many styles. You'll begin to feel all sorts of different elements come together in one interesting package. To reiterate, listen to more types of music (hint: not just melodic death metal, not just metal either!) You can bring it back and write melodic death metal if you want, but you need to explore to sound 'different.'
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by tntero
my guess is that you shouldnt worry about that, im not much into the metal genre, so i dont even know how in flames sound like to compare to your riff, but it seems quite a nice riff, you shouldnt worry about it being similar to others, you will, in time, find your own voice, that shouldnt be a worry, btw, i always wondered, what effect are you using to create that 2 guitars effect? is it detune or something? it seems to be heard quite often in the metal genre

The 2 guitars effect is actually 2 guitars recorded :P You just have to figure where to play it over the first recording to make harmonies
Quote by zezima940
The 2 guitars effect is actually 2 guitars recorded :P You just have to figure where to play it over the first recording to make harmonies

oh lol ok, anyway, you can do that with a pitch shifting pedal xD
Quote by soviet_ska
I wouldn't worry about sounding like others if I were you. If you obssess about it, you'll end up becoming very frustrated. When you start writing, it's probably going to sound a lot like your big influences: that's nothing to worry about. The best thing you can do is to absorb many influences and write many styles. You'll begin to feel all sorts of different elements come together in one interesting package. To reiterate, listen to more types of music (hint: not just melodic death metal, not just metal either!) You can bring it back and write melodic death metal if you want, but you need to explore to sound 'different.'

I AM VERY FRUSTRATED! xD

But yeah ... think I need to expand my view a little :/
Quote by zezima940
I AM VERY FRUSTRATED! xD

Oh no!

Yaaaaaaaaaargh!
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by zezima940
Okay ... I meant harmonies then ... also melodeath is not dead! Or at least will not be dead anymore as soon as i'll get together a band!

Why do i have a feeling that all thrashers were and still are (scratch Nevermore) saying same thing since 90's?

But yeah, melodeath has worn out, just like thrash, glam, grunge, nu etc. some sub-genres are quite limiting in their nature
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Quote by hr113
Why do i have a feeling that all thrashers were and still are (scratch Nevermore) saying same thing since 90's?

But yeah, melodeath has worn out, just like thrash, glam, grunge, nu etc. some sub-genres are quite limiting in their nature

Then again ... what subgenre doesn't have similarities? Maybe that's the key to it all? I mean a bands style is defined by a genre so other bands that play in that genre is likely to have characteristics. So if you want another tone .. go to another genre!
Quote by zezima940
Then again ... what subgenre doesn't have similarities? Maybe that's the key to it all? I mean a bands style is defined by a genre so other bands that play in that genre is likely to have characteristics. So if you want another tone .. go to another genre!

Or you could just write and let others label it for you.
Quote by ciadude2
Try doing a 5th chord(i.e. 0 on E, 2 on A, 4 on D, which creates a very nice sounding harmony, with the notes being E B F#/Gb).

That's a sus2 voicing. It's plenty useful in any kind of music. Also if you stretch just one fret further with your pinky you get a minor triad.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
I completely understand how you feel, I used to have the same problem, because when I first started playing guitar, all I listened to was Metallica, and I knew very little theory. So everything I tried to write sounded just like Metallica hahaha. But I can tell you the number one thing you can do to make your music sound the way you want it too:

Learn more theory!! It's the answer to all songwriting frustration. Find a great guitar teacher that can teach you theory and how to apply it, and soon enough you will be able to write anything you want and learn how to make it your own. You'll be able to write and play the music you hear in your head, and who knows, maybe you'll be able to outwrite CoB

Branching out can help with this too, but Id suggest letting it happen naturally, don't try to force it, or you'll find yourself listening to a bunch of music that just doesn't inspire you. Always write and play what inspires you, and what pertains to your goals! Theres no point in wasting time doing things that won't take you to you're guitar playing/ songwriting goals

Hope this helps
Quote by Fat g0r0T
harmonics? what!?

I'm still waiting for the new wintersun album.... It can die after
Quote by Brandon Bloom
I completely understand how you feel, I used to have the same problem, because when I first started playing guitar, all I listened to was Metallica, and I knew very little theory. So everything I tried to write sounded just like Metallica hahaha. But I can tell you the number one thing you can do to make your music sound the way you want it too:

Learn more theory!! It's the answer to all songwriting frustration. Find a great guitar teacher that can teach you theory and how to apply it, and soon enough you will be able to write anything you want and learn how to make it your own. You'll be able to write and play the music you hear in your head, and who knows, maybe you'll be able to outwrite CoB

Branching out can help with this too, but Id suggest letting it happen naturally, don't try to force it, or you'll find yourself listening to a bunch of music that just doesn't inspire you. Always write and play what inspires you, and what pertains to your goals! Theres no point in wasting time doing things that won't take you to you're guitar playing/ songwriting goals

Hope this helps

OKay, I'll learn more theory ... I already have 2 guitar teachers to teach me things so I can just ask them to show me the theory I need, and help me learn it! But I tried to look up scales tab here in UG and it confuses me so much!! The chormatic sclae continues forever? Is that called Major and Minor or is it modes?