Page 1 of 2
Im on the hunt for pedals that make guitars not really sound like guitars, if that makes any sense. Im getting a nice sum of money and am wanting to try out some new sounds. Im looking for extreme Chorus, Tremolo, and Delay pedals to play with so I can finish my band's EP. I have ideas on the sounds I want but I can only explain them in these terms: Ghost-like, Flat and Toneless, UFO-like, Silent Hill-ish, etc. Im aware those are not good descriptions but Im trying here.
Last edited by NihilistNixon at Jul 28, 2011,
maybe you could try a guitar synthesizer pedal? Roland has one i beleive.
Get multiple delay pedals and at least one with a reverse delay setting. If you put a bunch of delays in a row it gets really spacey.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
I am on the hunt for the exact same things! This should be interesting!

The digitech whammy when used with lot's of fuzz and delay can create some weird sounds. Also the zvex probe pedals are quite interesting. I also seen proguitarshop do a cool demo of a reverb pedal that was hooked to an expression pedal, that got some pretty ghostly sci fi type sounds. But i'm still looking for something different. Don't really know what, but I don't really like the synth type pedals for guitar either. Hopefully someone posts with some exciting ideas!
The boss space echo sounds really cool and UFOish.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
It's probably not quite what's you're thinking of, but a series of modulation pedals can do some bizarre things. I often run Swollen Pickle > fast flange > fast tremolo > slow vibe > slow tremolo > long delay > short delay. The result sounds like a synth and an organ having sex.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
I am now searching demos of these pedals. Thank God for UG.lol I am very picky with pedals also, so thats why this has been a month long ordeal. My bandmate is getting a little testy with me. Please if you guys know of anymore, let me know.
Quote by kutless999
The boss space echo sounds really cool and UFOish.

I need the Boss RE-20. That is perfect. Im sure if I tweaked it I could get 2 of the 5 sounds I need. Awesomeawesomeawesome.
Quote by DanielShaw123
I am on the hunt for the exact same things! This should be interesting!

The digitech whammy when used with lot's of fuzz and delay can create some weird sounds. Also the zvex probe pedals are quite interesting. I also seen proguitarshop do a cool demo of a reverb pedal that was hooked to an expression pedal, that got some pretty ghostly sci fi type sounds. But i'm still looking for something different. Don't really know what, but I don't really like the synth type pedals for guitar either. Hopefully someone posts with some exciting ideas!

Yeah, finding those weird yet acceptable sounds are always a pain in the ass.lol
Ghost type sound - Reverb type pedals.
UFO - Phaser, Flanger, or both maybe.
Organ - Harmonist with 3-part harmony.
Pipe Organ - Reverb and Harmonist.
Violin - E-Bow. E-Bow with pedals like Phaser, Flanger, Delay, etc. can make some seriously strange sounds.

That's about all I can think of.
Electro-Harmonix Micro-Synth. more wacky noises than any other pedal i've tried.
I just program my multi on the computer. I can get some of the weirdest stuff out of it there. If I want, then I can go through all the different stuff (dsp settings and the like) on the soundcard to slap it around so it behaves like a good guitar should... or it slaps me back.... either way.
Quote by Bill43
I just program my multi on the computer. I can get some of the weirdest stuff out of it there. If I want, then I can go through all the different stuff (dsp settings and the like) on the soundcard to slap it around so it behaves like a good guitar should... or it slaps me back.... either way.

Well Imma' need the make whatever sounds I create to be polayable on stage.
Quote by NihilistNixon
Well Imma' need the make whatever sounds I create to be polayable on stage.

You program it and take it with you... I guess you've never messed with a multi?
Quote by Bill43
You program it and take it with you... I guess you've never messed with a multi?

You are correct my friend.lol I only have messed with Boss and Line 6 basic pedals
You'll get the weirdest sounds from combinations of effects. I'd suggest finding a versatile multi-fx unit with reverbs, delays, pitch-shifters/harmonists, and tremolos instead of spending plelnty of individual stompboxes.
If you're going to experiment with finding weird sounds, whatever you do get will need to allow you to place effects in whatever order you want. For this reason, I suggest the Line 6 M9 (which has a particle verb that you might find useful) or the Boss GT-5/GT-6 (which feature a feedbacker effect and a ring mod). The only other unit I'd suggest you buy is a reverb with a reverse mode (the Digitech Digiverb, Hardwire Reverb, or Cathedral will do).
Quote by toyboxmonster
You'll get the weirdest sounds from combinations of effects. I'd suggest finding a versatile multi-fx unit with reverbs, delays, pitch-shifters/harmonists, and tremolos instead of spending plelnty of individual stompboxes.
If you're going to experiment with finding weird sounds, whatever you do get will need to allow you to place effects in whatever order you want. For this reason, I suggest the Line 6 M9 (which has a particle verb that you might find useful) or the Boss GT-5/GT-6 (which feature a feedbacker effect and a ring mod). The only other unit I'd suggest you buy is a reverb with a reverse mode (the Digitech Digiverb, Hardwire Reverb, or Cathedral will do).

Im just nervous about some of the multi units. Im terrified of change, but Ive been told by more than just you folks that I should invest is some multi-pedals.
Quote by NihilistNixon
Im just nervous about some of the multi units. Im terrified of change, but Ive been told by more than just you folks that I should invest is some multi-pedals.

Something like the m9 or m13 or (I haven't tried it yet but I'm gassing horribly for it) the new zoom g3 is key for the afore mentioned reason that you can pick the pedal order.
I'll give a quick list of my favorite un-guitar sounds. Of course all the delay stuff and gated or reverse reverbs are helpful, but that's covered, so I'll cut to the non delay stuff.

1) ring mods as suggested, you can find a ton of different ones, some much cheaper than others. Some multieffects units actually have pretty decent ring mods in them.

2) fuzz+filter+octave This is instant synth insanity, but leaves you with three pedals that can be individually used for more "normal" sounds whenever you want

3) crazy fuzz--voltage starved sputtering fuzzes can simulate bit crushers, heavily gated fuzzes can give you strange zippery sounds and change your attack and decay into crazy fun sounds

4) actual bit crushers

5) slow gear and clones!! Again, messing with the attack of your guitar will make it sound like a completely different instrument. Slow gear+distortion+reverb=all the synth strings you'll ever want.

6)ebow--it's an ebow.

Failing any of that, drop some cash and get a digitech space station.
two words: reverse reverb
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
Quote by NihilistNixon
While Im thinking about it, whats the deal with the WMD Geiger Counter?

It's a neat pedal, but the learning curve on it is pretty steep. It's not easy to learn. And most of the settings aren't necessarily usable. I'm tempted to sell mine for a Civilian Issue. But I like it.
Quote by NihilistNixon

I just got the m13. It's pretty fantastic, to the point where I'm tempted to sell any of my non-analog pedals. I decided against it since I'll just throw one board in my effect loop and the m13 on another board with my distortions. If you're just looking for crazy effects, I recommend it. If you insist on non-multi fx pedals. The filters alone are worth it.

For ghosts noises? Modulated delays with the mix all the way up and some volume swells works wonders.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Jul 28, 2011,
MoogerFooger. Actually Moog do nice low and high pass filters that are worth checking out.

An EHX Q-Tron, Boss RE-20, Boss DD-7, MXR Carbon Copy, Digitech Whammy, EHX Small Clone a volume pedal and good phaser. Phase 90?
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
that WMD Geiger Counter is insanity in a box! i love it! i just watched a youtube demo and could not believe the sounds that thing was making. looks like i am saving for another pedal
Quote by zenbone
that WMD Geiger Counter is insanity in a box! i love it! i just watched a youtube demo and could not believe the sounds that thing was making. looks like i am saving for another pedal

Yeah, WMD also has a pedal called Acoustic Trauma and i still have no idea what it sound slike.lol
Quote by NihilistNixon
How much are these my friend?

$299 http://www.subdecay.com/buy (second one from bottom)
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by kutless999
$299 http://www.subdecay.com/buy (second one from bottom)

I have one and they can go from spacey and triply to very useable.

Have you looked at the Death By Audio Total Sonic Annihilation?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Check your local buy/sell ads. I've got a vcollerction of about 30 pedals. I pick up one a month or so for about a third of the retail price. You also often get free adapters tossed in.
A little plain compared to a lot of pedals here, but a ZVex Machine always interested me.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
While it may not be a pedal, get your hands on an Ebow:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/ebow-plusebow-electronic-bow-for-guitar

I was using mine today after my new phaser came in the mail today and got some pretty cool ambient space noises using it with the phaser and a tremolo pedal.
░──────░
░|█████|░
░|█████|░
─┴────┴─

░░░^__^░░░
░░/ ░░░ \░░░____________
/░░░ರೃ \░░/Presumptuous!\
░=_░ɯ░_=░...‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
░░ \░^░/ ░░
░░░‾‾‾‾‾░░░░
If you want alot of stuff to mess around with, grab a Line 6 M9 or M13. It has different "normal" guitar effects like phaser, flanger, delay, verb, and the like, but it also has some different synth-style pedals that can be fun. If you spend enough time experimenting with different effects/settings/combinations, you can do a ton of stuff.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by Area_88
While it may not be a pedal, get your hands on an Ebow:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/ebow-plusebow-electronic-bow-for-guitar

I was using mine today after my new phaser came in the mail today and got some pretty cool ambient space noises using it with the phaser and a tremolo pedal.

So try and explain this to me, because Im highly interested in this thing.

EDIT: So I just saw the videos and HOLY ****ING GODDAMN SHIT! I am buying one of those next week. That bad boy is going to be perfect for a nice intro instrumental.
Last edited by NihilistNixon at Jul 30, 2011,
Page 1 of 2