Page 1 of 2
Set to be released in 2012, the Hobbit is already well into production. So here are some new pics that I thought many of you eager Tolkien fans would enjoy having a look at!

(Invalid img)
(Invalid img)
(Invalid img)
(Invalid img)
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Damn Chrome, always breaking pictures.

Who the hell is the guy in the third picture?

EDIT: ^Wat
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by Mazzakazza
It's going to be badass. Can't wait for trailers.

How many films they splitting it into? 2 or 3?

Two as far as I've heard.

Oh that guy as Bilbo. What's his name? He's gonna be super.

And I sincerely hope the 3rd picture is not supposed to be Thorin?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by SG_dave
So chrome kills the pictures for you as well?

I can only see the first 4.

Same for me. Last 4 are borked.

EDIT: I can't find an extension to fix them either
Quote by UntilISleep

Quote by Primus2112

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

kkoo
Last edited by izbbass at Jul 28, 2011,
I've been waiting to see this movie since I first read the book when I was 7 or 8, I hope it's as good as the others ^_^
Quote by SeveralSpecies

**** yea

Oh damn

Can't get more badass than that.
Quote by UntilISleep

Quote by Primus2112

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

kkoo
Quote by SeveralSpecies

**** yea

GOTDANG GRITTY ADAPTATIONS!

Just kidding, can't wait for The Hobbit its gonna kick ass.
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
I have to make sure I read this book before the film comes out.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by JohnnyGenzale

And I sincerely hope the 3rd picture is not supposed to be Thorin?

it is

sorry for sizes

this video is really good too
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150326323406807&oid=141884481557&comments

shows them filming in gollums cave/lake
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Last edited by lateraluspiral at Jul 28, 2011,
Can't wait. Really glad about the two-film split, they could make the second one amazing.

Unfortunate they didn't/couldn't get Ian Holm as Bilbo. Somehow, having Martin Freeman instead of the Bilbo I imagine seems like it will jar a bit.

EDIT:

Not a big fan of the dwarves' vibe, tbh. Gimli was perfect, these seem... silly.
Last edited by gabcd86 at Jul 28, 2011,
From reading the book I had a slightly different idea of the dwarves. But the way they turned out is mighty fine.

Edit: it puts a big smile on my face that they are splitting it in two. I just wonder how long each one is going to be? I watched The Fellowship of the Ring after reading the book and it felt very rushed, so this is good news.
Last edited by Vitor_vdp at Jul 28, 2011,
Thorin looks too...how to best say it...roguish? I dunno, doesn't suit him. Never imagined him like that at all.

The one I am hoping is Bard the Bowman looks awesome though.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by gabcd86
Can't wait. Really glad about the two-film split, they could make the second one amazing.

Unfortunate they didn't/couldn't get Ian Holm as Bilbo. Somehow, having Martin Freeman instead of the Bilbo I imagine seems like it will jar a bit.

EDIT:

Not a big fan of the dwarves' vibe, tbh. Gimli was perfect, these seem... silly.

The dwarves seem (too?) badass.

I don't mind the Bilbo switch. He is meant to be decades younger, so changing actors isn't such a bad idea.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I hope the dwarves are more dwarf like than some of these pictures show them as

Quote by UntilISleep

Quote by Primus2112

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

kkoo
Last edited by izbbass at Jul 28, 2011,
Quote by SeveralSpecies

**** yea

That is begging for a caption.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I agree that the dwarves look isn't quite right. They look to well dressed. Its been a while since I read the hobbit, but I am pretty sure they were pretty much in poverty at the start of the book. The core of them never displayed a tremendous of martial prowess that these dwarves appear to have...
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Quote by shikkaka
I agree that the dwarves look isn't quite right. They look to well dressed. Its been a while since I read the hobbit, but I am pretty sure they were pretty much in poverty at the start of the book. The core of them never displayed a tremendous of martial prowess that these dwarves appear to have...

Battle of 5 armies breh. The dwarves do work.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Guys, I'm so scared about Bilbo! I mean he was done so well in LOTR and now he will be the main character and what if he is...... mediocre??! ahhhh!?!??!
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by Carnivean
Guys, I'm so scared about Bilbo! I mean he was done so well in LOTR and now he will be the main character and what if he is...... mediocre??! ahhhh!?!??!

I don't think Martin Freeman can do a bad job. Although I don't know if he can portray the hesitation that bilbo had. He just looks like he wants to do wacky shit.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I am so not hyped for this film.

Loved the LOTR trilogy, but this seems like a shit cash in so far.

"Peter, how can we get more people to turn up to this than the LOTR films?"
"erm... have the LOTR cast appear in flashback/forward things... also get as many big names as possible on board."
"genius"
Quote by Neo Evil11
I don't think Martin Freeman can do a bad job. Although I don't know if he can portray the hesitation that bilbo had. He just looks like he wants to do wacky shit.

I think Martin Freeman is a great actor but I can't help remembering that sitcom he was in where he worked in a tool shop. It was the most awful thing ever and makes me worry about the Hobbit a little
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Make a shoop thread!

On it.
Quote by UntilISleep

Quote by Primus2112

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

kkoo
Quote by SG_dave
I am so not hyped for this film.

Loved the LOTR trilogy, but this seems like a shit cash in so far.

"Peter, how can we get more people to turn up to this than the LOTR films?"
"erm... have the LOTR cast appear in flashback/forward things... also get as many big names as possible on board."
"genius"

LOTR is one of those movies where you just can see that the everyone did their very best. Unfortunately they did not film the entire books, but the films looks perfect.

I liked the Hobbit more, it just was a more magical journey. Better written arguably. I think that they do this film with the same conviction and that it will be just as good. No money grabbing will occur.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by CG Man16
Battle of 5 armies breh. The dwarves do work.

But that was after they got all their goodies from the lonely mountain. I'm not saying they were handicapped or anything, but throughout the entire book they prove to be pretty useless. In those pics they look like a bunch of tiny Aragorn's.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Quote by shikkaka
But that was after they got all their goodies from the lonely mountain. I'm not saying they were handicapped or anything, but throughout the entire book they prove to be pretty useless. In those pics they look like a bunch of tiny Aragorn's.

It's not like the dwarves had normal enemies. Dragons, trolls, an entire kingdom of elves.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
They need more axes and hatchets. They look too much like dwarfed humans rather than Gimili-esque dwarfs that they should be like.
Bass is my life.
Quote by Neo Evil11
The dwarves seem (too?) badass.

I don't mind the Bilbo switch. He is meant to be decades younger, so changing actors isn't such a bad idea.

He was also supposed to hardly age between The Hobbit and Fellowship due to the Ring giving him unnatural longevity. I don't mind the switch either, mind you, but I had to point that out.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
I think the dwarves look pretty cool

Thing with LOTR is, there really weren't any dwarves in there aside from Gimli, who was suited up prepared for a long journey with many battles. The drawves in the Hobbit are basically a bunch of adventurers going out looking for treasure in what starts out as a pretty light-hearted journey.

I haven't read the book in a long time so I'm not entirely sure how each dwarf was, but I'm pretty sure Thorin was the hardass leader who didn't even want Bilbo coming along and wanted everyone to take the whole thing seriously, right? I don't mind him having a sword and being dressed in armor for the adventure. What I mind is the actor's expression, because he looks evil, which Thorin isn't.

It's sure a helluva lot better than the last portrayal of Thorin I've seen in a movie.

and yes, that's really Thorin. From the old RankinBass animated version of the Hobbit.

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
He was also supposed to hardly age between The Hobbit and Fellowship due to the Ring giving him unnatural longevity. I don't mind the switch either, mind you, but I had to point that out.

Frodo was the same age as Bilbo was when he left the Shire in the LOTR books, which was well above 50. I don't mind that minor detail either, but like you I had to point that out
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jul 28, 2011,
Quote by CoreysMonster
I think the dwarves look pretty cool

Thing with LOTR is, there really weren't any dwarves in there aside from Gimli, who was suited up prepared for a long journey with many battles. The drawves in the Hobbit are basically a bunch of adventurers going out looking for treasure in what starts out as a pretty light-hearted journey.

Frodo was the same age as Bilbo was when he left the Shire in the LOTR books, which was well above 50. I don't mind that minor detail either, but like you I had to point that out

Yup. Plus, Peter Jackson took a number of liberties with the LOTR movies and I thought they were incredible, so I'm not too worried. The dwarves couldn't all be identical to Gimli. That would be awful. It'd be silly and hard to differentiate between all of the different leads. Plus, Gloin looks very much like Gimli, so people can get their Gimli fix there.
Page 1 of 2