So today I got new strings and strung it up (obv) and 8 hours later the high e string snapped. Is this normal? It never happened to me before. If it was like a bass tring and it unwounded by the bridge or smth I would get it, but it snapped close to the tuners on the headstock, as shown by my amazing photographic abilites

Also, as I was stringing it (correct verb?) I noticed that part of the nut broke, and now it is all chewed up:

Can the replacement be costly?
And the final question: I recently got 0.9 strings to try them out, since I only used 0.10 (I used Ernie Ballz Blue Stringz btw) and the low e snapped, since it was old and rusty from too much chug chug. I then found a low e string and I replaced with it, but this was from an older kit, so it was 0.10. The guitar was strung like this since 2 weeks ago if I recall, and 2 days ago the high e snapped, also due to being old. I left the guitar as it was, sometimes tuning to drop d because I was afraid of screwing it up. Could the guitar neck get screwed up from this weird string scheme?
Thanks for reading this and please comprehend that I play for 2 years but I don't know alot of the most techical aspect of the guitar.
EDIT: The images are not working, don't know why, I uploaded them to Imageshack. Gonna try to upload them to another website, dunno.
EDIT2: Fixed.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Last edited by Ometh at Jul 28, 2011,
string snapping is "normal" in the loosest possible sense, if you overtightened too quickly, you need to give the strings a chance to stretch.

it won't be an expensive problem to fix at all, you can get nuts here from £3.00
http://www.axesrus.com/axeNuts.htm

and i very much doubt the guitar could mess up substantially from dropD tuning.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by Dempsey68
string snapping is "normal" in the loosest possible sense, if you overtightened too quickly, you need to give the strings a chance to stretch.

it won't be an expensive problem to fix at all, you can get nuts here from £3.00
http://www.axesrus.com/axeNuts.htm

and i very much doubt the guitar could mess up substantially from dropD tuning.

It'a not from Drop D tuning, it's from having a 0.10 low e string with the other 5 five from a 0.9 pack. And I mean like, taking it to a store and doing it, I never even changed a pickup in my life so I don't want to **** up the only shitty guitar that I have
But thanks for the advice anyway
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Quote by Ometh
So today I got new strings and strung it up (obv) and 8 hours later the high e string snapped. Is this normal? It never happened to me before.

Yes, it ocassionally happens, sometimes after even shorter time. I guess it was just 'bad' batch of strings. Sometimes you snap a string even when putting it on for first time.

Quote by Ometh

Also, as I was stringing it (correct verb?) I noticed that part of the nut broke, and now it is all chewed up:
Can the replacement be costly?

Shouldn't be too bad imo, but don't really know.

Quote by Ometh

Could the guitar neck get screwed up from this weird string scheme?

No. You can take a look and see if it's twisted but i find that highly unlikely.

edit: too late ><
even still it'll be fine, there's only a couple of mm between the low e's so don't worry about it. also changing a nut is sooooo much easier than changing a pickup.
pickups involve soldering things and wires and the such, nuts just pull off, and then you put the other one on. it's a 2 minute job, as i found out in the link in my signature.

just don't do what i did and buy a nut that's thicker than the gap it goes in or you'll have to get the sandpaper and stuff out.

even if you don't feel confident doing it, taking it to a man in a shop to sort out is going to be far too expensive than buying the part yourself and either doing it yourself or getting a friend to do it.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.