When fretting a note or chord, should the string and/or your finger touch the fretboard wood?

I have recently been told something that makes me feel like I've been doing it wrong for years.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
You probably have. Does it make a shitty noise when you hit the strings? Do some of your notes barely come in if at all? It means your action is entirely too low. This is difficult shit to mess with so know what you're doing here.
If you're pressing the string into the fretboard wood, then it's too much and can often make a note go sharp. Ideally you want to apply JUST enough pressure for the note to sound- you'll notice that the string doesn't reach the fretboard. This is also vital for playing super-fast
Quote by SilverSpurs616
If you're pressing the string into the fretboard wood, then it's too much and can often make a note go sharp. Ideally you want to apply JUST enough pressure for the note to sound- you'll notice that the string doesn't reach the fretboard. This is also vital for playing super-fast

Yup, exactly. Although reaming the string into the fretboard can help with really hard bends. Since it makes the note more sharp, you may not have to bend as much to get the desired pitch.

If you ever play a cheap acoustic with one of those painted fretboards, you can quickly see how much your strings rub on the board. My old Fender DG has worn spots all over the place.
Naw, my action's fine and it sounds like a guitar should. But, I guess I've never really been able to play "super-fast" cleanly.

And actually, now that this has come to my attention, I'm noticing that I'm not really pressing the string all the way down, but my fingers are still able to feel the wood.

Well, I guess this is a non-issue. Thanks, for the replies guys. I'll leave this thread up if anyone wants to make a discussion about it, but I'm out. Thanks, again.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi