Anyone have suggestions on what I should get for an electric guitar and amp? My budget for an electric around $150-200 and the amp is around $70. I plan on playing songs that involve fast alternate picking. palm muting and barre chords if that helps in the selection. Also the amp has to be able to support headphones because i live in an apartment . Thanks for any suggestions provided!

Edit: Example of a song I will learn to play. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UYsLOFWKck&feature=BFa&list=PL6E4F370A35CBFECE&index=10. Also some Metallica.
Last edited by Abzolute at Jul 28, 2011,
I see that you mention you want to play songs that involve fast alternate picking but can you be a little more specific. Did you want to sound like a specific band or like a particular guitarist?
Quote by ibanart300
I see that you mention you want to play songs that involve fast alternate picking but can you be a little more specific. Did you want to sound like a specific band or like a particular guitarist?

I like how Paul Gilbert sounds when he plays. But songs i plan on learning would be songs from animes.
Make sure to get something with a humbucker.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
DO some research so you can make the best purchase possible for yourself, i would recommend an ibanez and a modelling amp.
Ok well then yeah as briyan said an ibanez would do the trick. For 150 to 200 you might be lucky to get an entry level Ibanez but I would go for a used Ibanez RG. As for amps you will also most likely be limited to second hand so look around and then check out reviews and find Youtube clips that give you an idea of the sound and then if possible try them out to see if you like it. I won't recommend a brand of amp because from what I see regularly on these forums people get worked up too easily just find something that you like.
So I assume that youll be playing Hard Rock/metal stuff since you say songs involving fast alternate picking and palm muting. I would suggest an Ibanez here's a prety good one for cheap http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG120-Electric-Guitar-103576583-i1167511.gc. I dont know what to tell you about the amp. I prefer Line 6. You can get some cheap 15 watt line 6's for around $50 used and $100 new.
Last edited by wilberwildcat3 at Jul 28, 2011,
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Make sure to get something with a humbucker.

I second this, got a strat as my first guitar, even as a beginner i thought my tone sucked. This was a used(but mint) HSS deluxe series strat too (my dad went half on it), nice feeling guitar with a lot of versatility but for someone that was playing metallica it sounded like shit. Even though it had a humbucker it sounded like a single coil. Bought my schecter blackjack in november and nearly came when i plugged it in.
Quote by maowcat
DO some research so you can make the best purchase possible for yourself, i would recommend an ibanez and a modelling amp.

I did some research but my friends keep telling me that the guitar is a bad choice. I was looking into an ESP LTD Viper 50 or a stratocaster.
I wouldnt get a strat if I were you. Squiers arent very great for paul gilbert type stuff or fast stuff. Like i said and a lot of others said. You should get an Ibanez.
Quote by Abzolute
I did some research but my friends keep telling me that the guitar is a bad choice. I was looking into an ESP LTD Viper 50 or a stratocaster.

In that case see if you can try some at a store to get the feel for what you like. Brands are brands any guitar can sound sweet in the right hands.
and yes the special ii has humbuckers but then I saw that you liked paul gilbert type stuff so then now I think you should get an ibanez. But if youre doing hard rock type stuff I would definitely recommend the les paul special ii
My first electric guitar was a Squier Strat I bought at a pawn shop for around $100. With a cheap practice amp, it doesn't exactly do well for every genre, but if you can find a nicer amp (and if you can save a bit more on the guitar, you can do that), you actually get great sound for nearly any type of music in my opinion.
Between an Ibanez RG120 and an Epiphone Les Paul Special II, which one would be better if I were to play a wide genre of music?
Quote by wilberwildcat3
I prefer Line 6. You can get some cheap 15 watt line 6's for around $50 used and $100 new.

This isn't going to go over well when other people see it... Delete it now, and I'll delete this one so we don't start a flame/hate war
Where's Waldo?
For an amp, I'd say a 15 watt peavey vypyr:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/peavey-vypyr-15-15w-1x8-guitar-combo-amp/482908000001000
It's a great amp for beginners looking for different tones. You can even find them used for about 60-70 bucks.

For a guitar, I'd say the Ibanez RG120 that's been suggested.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Last edited by Chaz-6(sic)6 at Jul 28, 2011,