Essentially, i need a new amp which can handle a variety of tones. good cleans and an fx loop and being loud enough for gigs are essential and i would prefer it to be tube and a combo but i am flexible on the last two

I play/like stuff like black sabbath, hendrix, beatles, kasabian, iron maiden, kula shaker, oasis. Mostly classic rock/ psychedlic stuff.

this will be a long-term saving project so as of yet i don't really have a budget as i don't know how much an amp that will do what i need costs. all i can say is that i will not pay more than £1200 in any circumstances, even if i had the money.

i currently have an ibanez rga42t(floyd rose with actives) and a stagg strat copy
I have a fuzz pedal, so would like the amp to have a different type of distortion and a reverb pedal so reverb isn't essential

so far i have tried a fender supersonic and a marshall jvm410c and i prefered the marshall overall, due to versitilty and having only slightly worse cleans than the fender
Used Mesa Dual Recto head and cab is about the best you're going to do there, but you're not going to be able to do that for 1300 pounds. Marshall doesn't have the cleans (neither does Engl), Fender has the cleans and is real loud, but is too clean for what you are looking for when you push the gain for metal and psychedelia.

If you can compromise on the cleans, look at an ENGL Screamer or a Marshall 215C (the latter is $1599 here in the states, the former is around $12-1399, iirc).

You can also do a hell of a lot on an AC30, but not Sabbath or Hendrix. I can get kind of a pseudo Blackmore tone out of my AC15, but I couldn't do anything heavier than that on it, even with the big pedalboard I have (11 pedals). The closest to Hendrix I can get is a lightweight version of Robin Trower when I use my Flying V and that's about it. But it definitely has boatloads of volume.
A JCM900 2x12 combo could do sabbath and would be pretty good amp overall, although the Jcm800 combo would also give you a great tone, as would a Jcm2000 dsl 401. Pretty much any marshall 2x12 combo would suite you good, decide upon whichever one seems better to you

suit*
DAS BOOT!!!
Last edited by Blues Hippie at Jul 28, 2011,
fenders have SWEET cleans! i love my Mesa, but i use my Fender Deluxe Reverb for my cleans. its incredible.

as far as what you will need, look at Marshalls. i cant say i know which model cos i have been out of the Marshall loop for a while, but most of the bands you have noted made a career on playing marshalls. be sure to get a tube screamer too. match made in heaven! :-)
oh and be sure to try a couple amps side by side at the shop. Marshalls arent what they used to be from what i have been hearing, so it'll pay to be picky......
Just to go against convention here, but an Egnater of some sort? I can personally vouch for the Renegade being fantastic, but a Tweaker 88 or certainly a Tourmaster would do the job easily.
chadreed 32- what'd i miss out?

to the others- is there anything cheaper that's good cos all these examples are fairly expensive and i would like cheaper if possible. also is buying used amps the best idea for me, i play a lot and i don't fancy the prospect of replaceing tubes for a long, long time

i personally found the cleans on the marshall perfectly acceptable. i tried an egnater (can't remeber which one) and i wasen't too keen on it, forgot to mention that in op

Also, what's all this about marshall declining quality, i keep hearing people say it but they never give a reason why, i'm talking about the upper end here, not the mg's everyone's so desperate to hate
Last edited by teh_goon at Jul 29, 2011,
Egnaters take a bit of tweaking to sound their best, I honestly suggest giving one of the ones I listed a thorough testing if you can, they'll amaze you once you tweak them a bit.

Also, if you're willing to go used and can find what you want used, then I strongly suggest it, it's simply more economical for you.

Lastly tubes don't need to be replaced all that often from what I know, the general consensus is once a year, and often that is excessive.

EDIT: If you don't want to listen to me, please just listen to 311 above me
^

well personally, I couldn't find a bad tone on the Renegade. All settings were awesome.

i liked 1 channel set to 65w and 6L6 setting with reverb on
and the 2nd channel set to 18w and EL34 setting with no reverb

and then use the footswitch to go back and forth. the footswitch and versatility alone deserves a hard look. Like a Road King in a way.

I've played the Tourmaster and the Tweaker too but not the higher wattage ones.
if tubes need replacing that often i may have to look at solid state amps then cos there's **** all chanxce i'll be able to afford a change of tubes every year, or even every couple of years for that matters, i'm not optimistic of my employment prospects after uni...

the egnater looks cool, does it suffer from low volume tone crapness though, cos when i played it it was quiet and the tone was dull-sounding
Last edited by teh_goon at Jul 29, 2011,
A year is what people say, I've got friends who've had 5 years out of a set, and I daresay someone on the internet has gone even longer than that.

And 311, you more or less used the same basic settings I use it really is an incredible amp teh_goon, and will do all you want and more, that's why we're pushing it.
tubes are just a part of having good tone

like new guitar strings, fresh batteries, a backup guitar, etc.

i'm not aware of too may solid state amps that are good for classic rock but if i think of any - i'll be sure to post them.

PS: tubes are funny. You could go 20 years or 20 minutes before needing new ones. And just because they are new doesn't mean squat. Older NOS tubes are sometimes better and will last longer even though they were made 30 years ago.
i'll try the renegade again then, although the clips i've heard so far aren't terribly impressive. At the moment i'm only really looking for a price guide thou, so i'll just save up circa £1000 as soon as i can
I can't believe nobody brought up Orange amplifiers. I played a Tiny Terror and liked it a lot (not for you maybe though), along with listening to some of their other amps. Check them out, they are cheap over there.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Ah, but he wants Sabbath. Even though they did some endorsement deals with Orange and even did a few video clips with Orange, Tony hated them and would never use them. :P

This is a bit of a wish list I gather. For what you want I'd look no further than a Laney VH100R with a nice cab under it. I'd stick it through a bog standard Marshall 1960. You can pick them up at flea markets and hidden under people's stairs. They're everywhere you look.
That's the amp for you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by teh_goon
chadreed 32- what'd i miss out?

Paragraphs of information about yourself are nice and all but chances are people won't read it word for word and will skip over looking for these 6 things I listed.

That part

Not sure what model that Laney exactly is, but I know Paul Gilbert used Laneys and had a kick-ass tone. I'd check it out.
Where's Waldo?
Last edited by chadreed32 at Jul 29, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard
Ah, but he wants Sabbath. Even though they did some endorsement deals with Orange and even did a few video clips with Orange, Tony hated them and would never use them. :P

TS might love them? It's not super Sabbathy, but we also can't tell TS hes screwed cause he doesn't have an SG or white Strat.

TL:maybe read a little bit: This is TS's amp, not Tony's
This guy has 1200 quid to spend.

Why the tiny terror and dsl401 are coming into it i'm not sure..
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
well personally, I couldn't find a bad tone on the Renegade. All settings were awesome.

+1 on that.

anyway as far as marshall's i think the JVM is possibly their best model currently in production, but you've already checked that out so theres no need to go on about it. Another current model that I think you should check out is the Vintage Modern which as you can tell by the name is more vintage-y and would be good imo for classic rock, hendrix and such. it may need a boost to get full sabbath sounds but paul gilbert uses them so i have no doubt they can do metal.

if you have no problem going used though I would check out both the jcm800 and maybe the jcm900 as well. you might be able to find them in combo form too, and since your both in the uk and going used would save a lot more money than someone in the us buying one
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
I just said that I liked the tiny terror, so Orange apparently makes some decent stuff, never told him buy it =/

Rockverb/Thunderverb 50 more likely, but I haven't played those so I'll just shut up.

My head feels fuzzy.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
TS might love them? It's not super Sabbathy, but we also can't tell TS hes screwed cause he doesn't have an SG or white Strat.

TL:maybe read a little bit: This is TS's amp, not Tony's

It was just a

Gotcha!!

Still, I reiterate. The amp the TS should GAS'ing over is the Laney VH100R.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by coolstoryangus
vh100r is a good suggestion. That and a good cab you'll have change lol.

It really is