I've been trying to learn how to do "Frusciante style" barre chords where you'd replace the index finger bar with the thumb over the neck + index finger bar on the e and b strings.

From what I saw on other forums, the most common problem is that people can't get the thumb over the neck to ring out properly.

My issue is with the index finger. I can never seem to properly bar the first two strings. At most I can press down as hard as I can leading to only the b string ringing out and the e string muted.

No matter how I angled my hand it never seems to come out right. Does anyone have any tips on how they got this down?

(Also, I can play the normal barre chords properly, I would just like to learn this way for when the situation might require it)
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Quote by rock.freak667
e and b strings.

E and B? You gonna need one long-ass thumb. I'm assuming you mean E and A.

Anyway, I've tried this too, but I just think my hands are too small. I just can't do it right. It could be a matter of practice, but it just doesn't feel good, so I'm pretty sure it's due to my small hands.

EDIT: OH. INDEX on the E and B. Well I still don't know.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Last edited by -xCaMRocKx- at Jul 28, 2011,
i do this all the time hold down the a or e string with thumb and play melody or chord

its difficult to do at first and i find it easier to do on my acoustic with a naRROWER neck
but with practice it get easier
Quote by supersac
i do this all the time hold down the a or e string with thumb and play melody or chord

its difficult to do at first and i find it easier to do on my acoustic with a naRROWER neck
but with practice it get easier

The problem is not my thumb, its my index finger. Can't get it to bar the first two strings.
sorry to sound obvious, but try pressing down harder. if you can get your thumb comfortable on the e and a then that's the only problem i can think you would have.

what angle do you have your index at?
Well I tried placing my index finger flat on the e & b strings, but that never worked. Slightly angling it lead to the same result of muting the e string.
This is a matter of practice. I've seen people blame their inability to play like this on small hands, but I don´t think that's the cause in 90% of the time.

I remember trying this like after 6 months of practice from starting to play the guitar and knowing it wasn't going to happen anytime soon... About one year later or so I began to mess with playing rythm and lead at the same time so I tried the thumb over barre again and to my surprise it was almost there. I guess that finger strenght and flexibility plays a part in it. I can't think of another reason for me do be able do them a year later

But anyway, my advice is for you to practice them like you practiced your barre chords when you could barely do them (slowly place fingers, check each string is ringin, etc...). When you can play them, but aren't quick enough to use them in songs, practice moving up and down the neck. It gets easier with time

One last advice,once you get good with the major version, intead of barring the thinnest 2 strings with pointer, try to barre the g string too. That way just lifting your middle finger gives you the minor option as well.
This will probably be harder so try to get the 2 string barre first and then the 3 string barre if you think it's a good option
Last edited by Guitarra_acores at Jul 29, 2011,
Quote by rock.freak667
"Frusciante style" barre chords

Since when did he start getting credited to inventing that?
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Guitarra_acores

But anyway, my advice is for you to practice them like you practiced your barre chords when you could barely do them (slowly place fingers, check each string is ringin, etc...). When you can play them, but aren't quick enough to use them in songs, practice moving up and down the neck. It gets easier with time

So then I should put my fingers down, ensure they are ringing out and then slow my my thumb over the neck? Does that mean I should stop at the position where my index might start to mute the high e string?

Quote by Guitarra_acores

One last advice,once you get good with the major version, intead of barring the thinnest 2 strings with pointer, try to barre the g string too. That way just lifting your middle finger gives you the minor option as well.
This will probably be harder so try to get the 2 string barre first and then the 3 string barre if you think it's a good option

Yeah I initially tried that as I thought my index bar was too low. It didn't work out too well.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Since when did he start getting credited to inventing that?

I used the quotation marks to indicate where I learned them from. Else I'd refer to them as however they're better known as. Normally I'd call them half-bar chords because that's what they look like to me (like I said, I don't know if they have a correct name for that technique). Since my term would be a bit unhelpful I just used his name because that's where I saw it being applied.
Quote by rock.freak667
So then I should put my fingers down, ensure they are ringing out and then slow my my thumb over the neck? Does that mean I should stop at the position where my index might start to mute the high e string?

The way I learned was placing my thumb first and then placing the other fingers. The thumb placement determins your hand position so you got to find a confortable angle for the thumb... work your other fingers from that thumb position.

My guess is that your high e isn't ringing because you don't have the flexibility/strenght. It's going to be uncomfortable at first, but just try to make all strings ring, even if it's just for a short time. Each week should become a little easier until you can make the f minor shape that way, which is the hardest you can do.
If you can't make the string ring, try to make them ring. The stretch you will make means you'l make progress

This is quite a hard workout on your hand, so be careful not to push yourself too hard and damage your hands. Just use common sense: a slight discomfort right after you finish practicing is normal, pain is not. And don't go all out with this everiday... let your hands rest 1/2 days after a hard session
Quote by Guitarra_acores
The way I learned was placing my thumb first and then placing the other fingers. The thumb placement determins your hand position so you got to find a confortable angle for the thumb... work your other fingers from that thumb position.

My guess is that your high e isn't ringing because you don't have the flexibility/strenght. It's going to be uncomfortable at first, but just try to make all strings ring, even if it's just for a short time. Each week should become a little easier until you can make the f minor shape that way, which is the hardest you can do.
If you can't make the string ring, try to make them ring. The stretch you will make means you'l make progress

This is quite a hard workout on your hand, so be careful not to push yourself too hard and damage your hands. Just use common sense: a slight discomfort right after you finish practicing is normal, pain is not. And don't go all out with this everiday... let your hands rest 1/2 days after a hard session

Thanks for the tip! I'll start it soon.

Quote by T.s.e
It's probably just a matter of strength and flexibility.

That's most likely the case with me
Quote by Guitarra_acores

Minor question, when you got the grip down, were you able to freely move your pinky finger or did that take some practice to get around? (by freely I mean that you could to a hammer on and pull off if you wanted)
Practice it enough to build a stronger callous on that weak part of your index finger.
It will harden up at the same time your dexterity improves.

... and when you aren't playing guitar, dribble a basketball with your left hand... by the time you can easily palm the ball, your hand should be able to finger just about anything.

I know it's only a matter of time before someone will have fun with that last sentence.
Last edited by Terry Gorle at Jul 29, 2011,
Quote by rock.freak667
Minor question, when you got the grip down, were you able to freely move your pinky finger or did that take some practice to get around? (by freely I mean that you could to a hammer on and pull off if you wanted)

It was very, very hard at first time I tried (6 months in). Couldn't use it in musical context at all.
A year later I had a lot more control over the pinky because the hand was much more relaxed in the position, so yeah I could use it
what seems to work for me is putting only a small portion of my finger on the last 2 strings and the rest is about finger strength, but thats just me
I was watching an instructional dvd and the guy was blunt and he said the reason why you can't do barre chords is because you're weak and its pretty much the truth. Unfortunately it just requires a ton of practive and finger strenthening. Mine are pretty bad but I'm getting better.
Quote by philwhite
I was watching an instructional dvd and the guy was blunt and he said the reason why you can't do barre chords is because you're weak and its pretty much the truth. Unfortunately it just requires a ton of practive and finger strenthening. Mine are pretty bad but I'm getting better.

I actually got it today, with all the strings ringing clearly. I just can't switch from any chord to that grip for now though.
It basically comes down to practice, the radius of your neck, and the action. The hardest part is not choking the high e. I can do that shit on my electric but not my acoustic.