I'm curious to know what the DC Resistance readings are on the stock pickups used on Korean-made PRS SE guitars, particularly the SE Singlecut. I'd do the readings myself, but I do not own, nor have access to a multimeter at the time. I'm curious to know, as I am working on a Strat build and am looking for pickups around the same output range as those in my PRS SE guitars.

I sent an email to PRS, but am still awaiting a reply. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Quote by gregs1020
about the same as a jb/59 set.

Did I ASK about a JB/59 set's specs?? REALLY?? I think not

Next time you decide to reply to my posts, make sure you have a REAL answer and not some smartass crap.

Cheers.
Quote by dkennedy88
I'm curious to know what the DC Resistance readings are on the stock pickups used on Korean-made PRS SE guitars, particularly the SE Singlecut.

Quote by gregs1020
about the same as a jb/59 set.

Quote by dkennedy88
Did I ASK about a JB/59 set's specs?? REALLY?? I think not

Next time you decide to reply to my posts, make sure you have a REAL answer and not some smartass crap.

Cheers.

then why did you ask in the SD forums?

boy you'd think after making threads on every forum on the internet you would take the one good reply you got.

the SE pups are about the same as a JB/59 set.

asshole.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 29, 2011,
I did not post this on the SD forums, nor am I even a member of the SD forums. Jesus Christ. Check your facts asshole.

You've been reported, son.

Last edited by dkennedy88 at Jul 29, 2011,

Are you ****ing retarded? He gave you an answer. It wasn't exact, but it's an approximation which is good enough. If you had a clue about pickup construction, you'd know that DC resistance means pretty much nothing tonally. The figures you need to calculate/determine frequency response are inductance and capacitance of the windings, along with any capacitance to ground caused by the rest of your signal path up until the input of your amp. A high DC resistance could mean that they're using quite a few winds or that they're using thinner wire.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
With your attitude you don't deserve a decent answer.

What is it with some of the thread starters here.. Pop in with questions, and then get pissed when you provide advice or answers?
FFS the resistance of a JB and 59 is all over the net. He did answer your question - did you expect him to use google for you too?
What a douche.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
There is no way the bridge pickup in my SE Singlecut has even close to the same output as a JB. I've played mahogany guitars with the JB in the bridge and it's way hotter. The 59 in the neck could have the same output as my neck pickup, seeing how it's a more vintage-voiced pickup.

That kind of snarky response, coming from someone who has seemed to look for my posts in the past to come up with some shitty remark, it's just not cool. It's more that Gregs1020 is being a dick than I didn't like the answer I got, which also came from him being a dick just like he has to me in the past. Whatever.
"about the same as a jb/59 set." is snarky?
Get off the drugs, man.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by mmolteratx

Are you ****ing retarded? He gave you an answer. It wasn't exact, but it's an approximation which is good enough. If you had a clue about pickup construction, you'd know that DC resistance means pretty much nothing tonally. The figures you need to calculate/determine frequency response are inductance and capacitance of the windings, along with any capacitance to ground caused by the rest of your signal path up until the input of your amp. A high DC resistance could mean that they're using quite a few winds or that they're using thinner wire.

No shit, buddy. I know full and well it has nothing to do with tone.

I was using it as a starting point in terms of output.
Quote by Cathbard
FFS the resistance of a JB and 59 is all over the net. He did answer your question - did you expect him to use google for you too?
What a douche.

My issue is I know that I can find the resistance of a JB or 59, or any SD pickup.

Thing is, it's unlikely the bridge pickup in my PRS is wound to +/- 15K, which I've read that some JBs read out at. One guy on Harmony Central said his JB read out around even 16.25K. There are only 3 PRS pickups that are wound anywhere near that hot: the HFS (15K), the 250 Treble (15.42K), and the Tremonti Treble (which also clocks in at 15.42K). The readings of these pickups comes from a 2009 PDF file located at the PRS website.

Believe me, I've done enough homework to know THAT.
Last edited by dkennedy88 at Jul 29, 2011,
Greg used to be a PRS dealer and has visited the factory and spoken with Paul. He also didn't post anything "snarky" until you decided to go off on him in response to his answer to your question.

And DC resistance is a pretty piss poor measurement of output.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Jul 29, 2011,
I think this thread has gotten out of hand a bit, and it's probably time to get it back on track. The problem is that, no matter how much you may already know about pickups, it wasn't really possible for us to guess from the opening post, so we (rightfully or not) jumped to conclusions. In turn, Greg didn't directly answer your question, but answered in a manner that he thought would be more helpful to you. He was just trying to be considerate and I'd say it's always best to think about the answer you are going to give and choose the most appropriate one. So I'll give you an answer that I think is most appropriate: You're a dipshit, fuck off.
^ no, I vote that the thread simply be closed. No one talks to a fellow UG'r that way (especially someone from the WTLTL)

*reported*

Quote by dkennedy88
There is no way the bridge pickup in my SE Singlecut has even close to the same output as a JB. I've played mahogany guitars with the JB in the bridge and it's way hotter. The 59 in the neck could have the same output as my neck pickup, seeing how it's a more vintage-voiced pickup.

That kind of snarky response, coming from someone who has seemed to look for my posts in the past to come up with some shitty remark, it's just not cool. It's more that Gregs1020 is being a dick than I didn't like the answer I got, which also came from him being a dick just like he has to me in the past. Whatever.

You seriously need counseling.

Sad thing is, I did a bit of searching last night on Google and couldn't find much. I did see the thread on the Duncan boards but didn't bother to post it here. Good thing too. Gregs1020's response was a perfectly legit response. He has met Mr Smith as well. Now fuck off!
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 29, 2011,