Ever hear people say you should have respect for our elders?

What do you think of that idea? Or principle maybe is a better word?

I've always thought that it seems odd to give someone respect simply because they're of an older age, and age isn't an important enough factor to determine if you should respect someone. But at the same time, it's hard to keep that belief without sounding like an angst-filled pissy teen.

What do you think?
to be honest ill give old people respect if i get it in return. just because they are old, it is not an excuse to be rude, mean, and annoying like so many old people i know (i know it sounds bad, but its the truth)
MY GEAR

1967 gibson sg special (p-90's)

Crate Blue Voodoo 0212 2x12
Quote by crazydiamondII

hendrix was good but he did nothing to change popular music's path.
I think it's an out-dated idea that sprang up in a time where living to old age showed that you were wise and strong. Any dungbeetle can live to old age nowadays.
PM me for newts
I always thought it was meant to be directed more at little kids. You know, so they are not little ass-holes to everyone. I have never heard it said to anyone who was an adult or anything.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Old people are useless now that technology is progressing so quickly. They don't know how to do anything anymore.
It's kind of a "be nice to the people with dementia" thing.

Quote by StewieSwan
Any dungbeetle can live to old age nowadays.

That's just not true.
Quote by WCPhils
I always thought it was meant to be directed more at little kids. You know, so they are not little ass-holes to everyone. I have never heard it said to anyone who was an adult or anything.

Well it seems more and more that it's the parents being the assholes. There are waaaay too many families in my town where the parents are just complete idiots.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
As said above, I'll respect anyone who shows me respect back, regardless of age.

And with that.. Most older people I've met (And I mean 60 and up or so) have been assholes. Basically believe they're better than everyone younger than themselves.
I believe they deserve my respect. However, if they're going to be the type of old person always filled with piss and vinegar...then I'll just not be inclined to hang around them. Fortunately, I've not had a ton of contact with that type of person, be they old or young(ish). I think everyone deserves respect; and if they won't respect me, I won't do things with them.
Well, sometimes I subscribe to that. Older people have usually done a lot more than I have and have more experience. At the same time, sometimes they're prejudiced and technologically behind.
i give everyone respect, regardless of age, until they start to not give it back.

seems fair enough to me
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Old people have alot of life experience behind them, and they are in fact wiser than most of us young people in the terms of life and living. Respecting your elders is just the right thing to do, they are old, and don't deserve a bunch of little punks with no life experiences who think they know everything already cause they graduated college insulting them and being mean to them.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Old people have alot of life experience behind them, and they are in fact wiser than most of us young people in the terms of life and living. Respecting your elders is just the right thing to do, they are old, and don't deserve a bunch of little punks with no life experiences who think they know everything already cause they graduated college insulting them and being mean to them.
Why do you hate college so much?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I don't have a problem with it usually. I'm respectful to everyone. It doesn't hurt to be respectful to the old people, so I just do it. I agree that just because they're old doesn't mean that they deserve respect. But in the end it's not a big deal so I just do it. It's not a battle worth fighting.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by element4433
Why do you hate college so much?

Because education is liberal.
PM me for newts
I think the whole idea just goes along with being more polite to them because they are older and usually can't function as well as a younger person. While there are some wise older people there are plenty of rude, dumb ones too. I give respect to them until they give me a reason to not respect them.
i wouldn't say "respect" because of "age" so much as being courteous to someone who is most likely not as healthy or energetic as you are. the same way that you are extra courteous to someone with a disability. but of course if the old person is mean and rude for no reason, then they shouldn't get that courtesy.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
i wouldn't say "respect" because of "age" so much as being courteous to someone who is most likely not as healthy or energetic as you are. the same way that you are extra courteous to someone with a disability. but of course if the old person is mean and rude for no reason, then they shouldn't get that courtesy.

Exactly this.
you should have rspect for everybody, but be sure to have your manners and self awareness in check with your elders

in other words, give your bus seat to that 70 year old with blown knees you prick
I respect people because they are respectful to me or at least did something worth respecting. I don't give a crap about age.
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Quote by Lots O' FX
I respect people because they are respectful to me or at least did something worth respecting. I don't give a crap about age.
Pretty much.

Also, I'm not usually just a dick to someone. I at least feign kindness, which I do to a lot of racist old folks.
Depends on the individual. I respect my grandparents, as they are very wise and kind people. I don't respect Fred Phelps.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
I respect people based on their character. I don't respect them any more based on age than I would based on race.

I somewhat expect older people to possess a higher sense of character seeing as they've had more time to experience the world, but regardless, I wont respect someone purely due to their age.
To me respect is earned not given. One big thing is if someone shows me respect back.
ಠ_ಠ
I don't respect people simply because of age. I only give it if they deserve the respect. If the respective person has done something respectable, then I will respectfully give them respect. However, if they are just a grumpy old geezer, then forget it.
Fanfiction profile: Kutlessrocker's Fanfiction profile. Click Me!

Quote by BrokenBricks
haha yah, kinda. cows are such hilarious creatures, they would be so worthless in nature. the totality of their existence is to taste good with A1 poured on them.
respect should be earned,age just means you've avoided busses or bullets,etc.
I respect older (and by that I mean more "elderly") people a tad more than general because of their age but I expect it back. If it's a more middle aged person, I treat them the same as everybody else. So if they act like a prick, they better not expect me to respect them more than they deserve just because their older than me.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Waterboy799
i give everyone respect, regardless of age, until they start to not give it back.

seems fair enough to me

This

Quote by theogonia777

And this.
RIP Gooze

cats
Eh, if old people are nice to me, I'll be nice back. Heck, I'll be nice no matter what, but it'll just be insincere if they turn out to be dicks.

The way I see it, all of those "years of experience" should at least tell the elderly that people don't like raging assholes.
poop