Been shopping around on Craigslist and at music stores looking for my first Marshall half-stack. I've only owned a Roland Cube 60 with 1 pedal for about 3 years and I'm looking to step it up a little. Ultimately, I want a tube-amp, not solid state. Anyways, I'd like to know any tips as to what to watch out for and any recommendations within my price range(Looking to spend no more than $450 for something used).
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you... - Abomino Aetas
No...... I'm not a troll, I've just seen prices ranging from $250-$1000 and I can't help but wonder why are there such large gaps in pricing from seller to seller.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you... - Abomino Aetas
are you sure the ones u saw that cheap were tube amps. they were prolly solid state MG dfx things. good marshall tube heads that work will be way over 450. not counting the cab
I would like to see a GOOD $450 tube half stack over 50 watts, sorry to burst your bubble bro but they don't exist, unless the seller is a complete moron. If your not playing in a band i wouldn't waste your time with a tube amp.

A used marshall tube head that works will go for a minimum of $700, the cab's sell for 500-700 used if you get the right deal. Your gonna have to look for something else here man, honestly the cheapest good tube head i've ever seen is peavey 5150, that was $500. I suggest you get a job and start saving.
Last edited by maowcat at Jul 29, 2011,
I think I remember you... you bought a guitar at Best Buy..

Keep an eye out for an MA or Haze series, those are the only Marshall tube amps that fit your budget AFAIK.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marshall-MA50H-Tube-Guitar-Amplifier-Head-/220819419574?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Last edited by jthm_guitarist at Jul 29, 2011,
You're not going to get a half stack for $450, unless you get lucky, or it's a Class 5 head.

At $450, in fact, you're not going to get any kind of Marshall except a Haze. And the MA series is garbage, so that doesn't count.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by jthm_guitarist
I think I remember you... you bought a guitar at Best Buy..

Keep an eye out for an MA or Haze series, those are the only Marshall tube amps that fit your budget AFAIK.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marshall-MA50H-Tube-Guitar-Amplifier-Head-/220819419574?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

Damn right I did , that was like a lifetime ago lol. I knew it looked fishy seeing marshalls on Craiglists for $250, the recession can't be THAT bad right now. Thanks for the info.
why marshall?
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Why are you so specific?

I don't understand why people do this. I see people all the time say, "I want this, this, and this for no apparent reason, and then I want to find what suits me best within that" instead of, "I want what suits me best, and non-necessary preferences that don't need to be followed at all because I'll regret them, or I can get a pedal to do the same thing, would be nice."

WHY?
Where's Waldo?
Don't buy an MG, you'll regret it. You don't have enough money to buy a real Marshall halfstack. You'll be lucky to get a decent used 1960 cab for that money.
Either save your dollars or look for a used combo.
Better still, as chadreed said: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
What you CAN do, is get a Peavey Windsor, which is a single channel JCM 800 circuit if I remember right. Could use nicer tubes or output transformer, but the circuit is good. Then, replace the Crate logo with a Marshall logo and your stupid friends will think your all cool with your Marshall.

And the tones will rock as well.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
if you buy a peavey amp with a crate logo, please just set all your gear on fire.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by maowcat
I would like to see a GOOD $450 tube half stack over 50 watts, sorry to burst your bubble bro but they don't exist, unless the seller is a complete moron. If your not playing in a band i wouldn't waste your time with a tube amp.

A used marshall tube head that works will go for a minimum of $700, the cab's sell for 500-700 used if you get the right deal. Your gonna have to look for something else here man, honestly the cheapest good tube head i've ever seen is peavey 5150, that was $500. I suggest you get a job and start saving.

Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 is pretty damn good, as 311 will agree.....
And the Blackstar HT series aint bad , though they are hybrids......
And im sure a Marshal 18W clone used will be just at the top if his budget (excluding cab)
EDIT: The 6V6 Haze is decent sounding, the EL38 (84?) Haze is like an MG with tubes.
The Laney LC/VC series come under your budget, but combos.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Jul 29, 2011,
Quote by InanezGuitars44
if you buy a peavey amp with a crate logo, please just set all your gear on fire.

rofles
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by InanezGuitars44

sig'd, I read his post and was like
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What you CAN do, is get a Peavey Windsor, which is a single channel JCM 800 circuit if I remember right. Could use nicer tubes or output transformer, but the circuit is good. Then, replace the Crate logo with a Marshall logo and your stupid friends will think your all cool with your Marshall.

And the tones will rock as well.

Dead thread I know, but I will do this sometime this summer and get laid. You sir, are a genius.
Quote by slayerbizkit
Dead thread I know, but I will do this sometime this summer and get laid. You sir, are a genius.

well of all the reasons to bump a 2 yr dead thread...

telling people you don't know on the internet that you will get laid because someone values the "marshall" logo at some point in the next few months possibly, is probably the best reason ever.

good luck young padawan, wear a condom, do us all proud.