I don't know if they have a direct name but yesterday when I was at guitar center a guy was playing what I want to learn. its like a funky boogie blues progression. Its very percussive and it bluesy. Jimi, John Frusciante, John Mayer all do it from time to time but when I search on the internet, I don't really get what I'm looking for. I'm looking for someone to break this style down. I love it because its percussive, bluesy, funky and full of licks in between. Any idea where I can start searching for material to start educating myself?(all i can afford to do right now!)
Not so much blues, but very funky, and that is anything by Tower Of Power. Bruce Conte is the guitarist.
Quote by Sean0913
Stevie Ray Vaughann

Sean

Yes. Like "Mary Had a Little Lamb" style. But I was asking for where I could find material to learn more about the style, not just how to play it or who plays it. I named 3 guitar players already that I know play it.
Practice 16th Note Strumming. Experiment with where you place the accents in each beat. Combine sounded chords with the muted strings. 9th chords are good for this.
Quote by FlexEXP
Yes. Like "Mary Had a Little Lamb" style. But I was asking for where I could find material to learn more about the style, not just how to play it or who plays it. I named 3 guitar players already that I know play it.

As Sean0913 said, you learn about the style by learning the songs in that style, but not just how to play them, but by checking out what's going on technically and theoretically. Rhythms, scales, licks, chords, progressions, phrasing, etc.

If I wanted to get to know how to play metal, going to the Wikipedia article will only do so much. If I really wanted to know, I'd learn songs.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I do that stuff alot, it's all about the pocket. It's not specifically on the beat, but more like Dipping into it, it's real difficult to explain, much easier to just listen to.

Check out jimi's groove here in the begining to Killing Floor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMkdhVQMBHY

For this groove, it's all in the thumbs

This was the first time I was able to get it, from playing around witht this Stevie Ray Vaughan song, Tightrope:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNuXO60G33w