Page 1 of 2
Hey guys. This is some progress on my first build. I'm finally happy with where it is so i'm posting now that its almost done. Btw i've had very limited resources. All i've used on this build is a drill press, fortsner bit, drill press planer, belt sander and some chisels for body contour. oh and some hand saws and a miter saw, pos dremel for inlay.
Specs:
Neckthru
neck-body wood: Curly maple
Body wing wood: Alder
Top wood: Flame/ Curly maple something
Fretboard wood: Bocote
Bridge pup: Emg 81-7
Rear controls... Nothing on the front of the body! i wanna show off the sexy flame maple and color.

I'm not putting up all the pics yet but this is a while ago...
ugly

Thats after i did most of the work. Still pretty rough...

fastforward a bit...

put a grenade inlay in my fretboard... First inlay ever so its a little sloppy

rear controls bitch

I royally ****ed the fretboard. First time i've ever tried fretting, my cuts were sloppy and my saw blade was too big. So now its a fretless. I'll get pics later but i've filled in the frets since these picturs so it looks nice and i'll know where i'm playing. I also put fretmarkers in the side of the fretboard.
The black is on the top but i'm wiating for some purple dye to come in next week. It should be sexy.
While 7/8 strings arn't my thing.. something about this I find cool. I just have one complaint.

......the tone knob
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
that fretboard grain looks fcking sweet.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Fretless 7 string? Interesting...
this is my signature, and it's purple in bold, you can't do anything about it.
I like the rear controls idea, but I think you should make them easier to reach.
Where's Waldo?
Opening up the cavity around the edges would make it alot easier. I think you should get some funky peace sign knobs and throw them behind there
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
I don't usually adjust volume or tone while playing. Actually i never do... So i'm not too worried about how accessible they are although i may try to open up that area just a bit.

And yeah a fretless seven. Don't see many of those but i don't have much choice since i ruined the fretboard. I'm not upset about it. It'll just be unique
What in the blue hell is "djent"?
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
That's wicked awesome. I love the fretboard..

But UGH. EMG? Sigh. I have 707's in my 7, and they can't really djent for shit. But.. I'm really not a fan of actives.

Cannot wait to see how this is when it's finished.

And being fretless might be a little odd.
shit good point. I guess djent wouldn't really work without frets... damn. Whatevers though. I knew my first build had possibilities of not working and this came out better than expected. I play mostly metalcore so no biggie if i can't djent.

djent is a sub-genre of metal as well as a technique.
disease guy, just google it. Wiki explains it well.
I think it'd be rather neat to see what could come out of a fretless seven, trying to djent and whatnot.

Finish that up, and let's get some awesome video
I will definitely post some vid and good pics when its done. It'll be a week or two.
Quote by Jmorg171820
djent is a sub-genre of metal as well as a technique.
disease guy, just google it. Wiki explains it well.

I read that page about 3 times in a row, and I know what bands like Meshuggah sound like, and yet, I still don't understand it.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Quote by Sleaze Disease
I read that page about 3 times in a row, and I know what bands like Meshuggah sound like, and yet, I still don't understand it.

It comes from the use of a noise, only best described as the sound, "djent".

Its kind of an empty, hollow noise.
Where's Waldo?

And that's a good thing?

Oooooookkkkk...sorry I asked.

I shall now exit this thread, never to return.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Quote by Sleaze Disease

And that's a good thing?

Oooooookkkkk...sorry I asked.

I shall now exit this thread, never to return.

Its an acquired taste
Where's Waldo?
"Djent" is onomonopia for the sound the guitar makes with a certain tone. It has quick palm mutes and lots of pick attack.

Basically, the actual "Djent" is when your pick strikes the string, and it goes slightly sharp, hence it DJENTing, and usually right after you strike it you palm mute. And do so again.

it's fun and sounds awesome. You really need a low tuning to get it right, though. I've tried in drop C, doesn't sound right.. But if I take my low C and drop it to A for funky stuff (Like Zyglorox) it sounds perfect.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Zyglorox

Must look up, sounds epic.

Edit: Oooh, Periphery. Not familiar with that one. Sounded like a badass band name
Where's Waldo?
Why no neck pick-up?
Also, the guitar look pretty cool, you shoulda mounted the pickup underneath the cap.
Quote by Jmorg171820
I play mostly metalcore so no biggie if i can't djent.

I bet my ass your idea of djent is 4/4 open string breakdowns, no polyrhythmins at all. No need to build a guitar to do that, Drop C should do you fine. Also, can't play At The Gates and In Flames pedal riff rip offs on a fretless, might aswell just sell it?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Quote by Ometh
I bet my ass your idea of djent is 4/4 open string breakdowns, no polyrhythmins at all. No need to build a guitar to do that, Drop C should do you fine. Also, can't play At The Gates and In Flames pedal riff rip offs on a fretless, might aswell just sell it?

So he should sell the guitar he built because you don't think he knows what djent is? Don't really get the correlation.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
its a sick ****ing 7 string, all haters are jealous
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Ometh

The **** bro? Whats that about? I mean you don't even know me so what the bashin' for?

I mainly play black dahlia and trivium stuff but i built this just for personal challenge and decided it might be cool to play some periphery or something of the like. Honestly i don't get what your problem is though? If you were just messing with me no worries but if not, all haters and asshats that want to label me can royally **** themselves. Thanks
Ometh is just some wiener kid who thinks that he listens to true "metal" and trys to bash anyone who listens to anything else. He just needs to grow up and l2 accept different tastes.
First of all Ometh needs to learn his shit cause we isn't right at any aspect.

Second of all Jmorg your guitar makes me jelly

Also btw i would like clips that djent to your djentmachine

cause i djent to <3
What is thall? THALL
Agile Interceptor Pro 727
POD HD500
Carvin DCM1000L
Behringer Rack Tuner
Carvin Rack Case
Mogami Cables
Quote by Ometh

Take your condescension and elitism to the metal forum.

Nice build, man. I really like the idea of rear controls, the abundance of free space on the front of the guitar really works.
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Laney GH50L - Laney GS212IE
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
I love the body shape...wouldve loved too see a little more attention to detail(army has drilled it in my head lol)..but atleast it plays right? Good shit none the less.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
Thanks guys, appreciate the comments and support. I'll try to find my digital recorder soon and put up a clip.
And you're right Breebree.. I rushed on some parts of the guitar build just being excited about getting it done. Attention to detail wasn't the best here... but for a first build, I'm not too upset. It plays... It could play more smoothely but it works and i enjoy the sound it makes.
Sir Daniels, Thanks. I love the rear controls since i don't adjust volume or tone usually during songs. I saw another guy do it on this forum. Some fanned fret eight string i believe... So its not an original idea or anything.
Hey man! Great work on a first axe! I'm going to take the dive and make my first one soon, I can only hope it comes even close to this! Good thinking on making it a fretless to fix that issue. I also really like the idea of the recessed tone pots, I may have to snatch that idea from you. I use Planet Wave Circuit Breaker cables and an ISP Decimator, so those things rarely get touched on any of my guitars, when playing live, I'd rather use an expression(even that's rare) for any volume adjustment. Knobs are just too imperfect and why be bothered with them while playing.

I must ask, did you make this out of one solid piece of wood(because that's what it appears to be in the very first picture)? If not, what kind of wood did you use to get that kind of arched top?

Also, how long/how much did the whole thing run you? You didn't give a real thorough run down on everything and what it took to do it, so I'm full of questions now.
All together its four main pieces. Neck( curly maple), wings( alder), and top.
The top was flame/ curly maple. Its all pretty light looking wood so it may look like a solid piece from pics. To get the slight carve top, I used chisels to angle out the sides. I’ll tell you that was a bitch to do. I smoothed out the chisel imperfections with a belt sander… That’s all I had and it got the job done.

Ehm, I started the build probably two months ago, just working at my own pace. I got whatever I could done before I had to borrow tools from friends. I didn’t go real fast on this. It probably could have been done in no time with proper resources and tools.

Definitely get on that first build it’s a good challenge but don’t rush anything. A few times on this build, I just wanted to get stuff done and not wait for the right tools. Plenty of mistakes show my lack of self discipline and patience… fretboard being the main example…
and questions… ask away. But there are so many talented luthiers here. I’d ask those guys. ha
Quote by ready2breakdown
Knobs are just too imperfect and why be bothered with them while playing

It's called 'tone and dynamics'.

If recessed knobs were so superior to front-mounted, then more guitars would have them; personally, I think the idea of recessed knobs in the back is incredibly impractical and dumb.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Call me a hater, but I dont like your body shape, its too fat/round. Making it fretless is a cheap excuse, stewmac sells pre-slotted boards for cheap.
Also, @Sleaze they play metalcore, they dont use tone and dynamics. Only spiders 6's and emg's
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by Jmorg171820
Thanks guys, appreciate the comments and support. I'll try to find my digital recorder soon and put up a clip.
And you're right Breebree.. I rushed on some parts of the guitar build just being excited about getting it done. Attention to detail wasn't the best here... but for a first build, I'm not too upset. It plays... It could play more smoothely but it works and i enjoy the sound it makes.
Sir Daniels, Thanks. I love the rear controls since i don't adjust volume or tone usually during songs. I saw another guy do it on this forum. Some fanned fret eight string i believe... So its not an original idea or anything.

trust me, i know...when i rebuilt my warlock, i didnt have the right amount of wire...so the electrical is spliced in like 465734545643 places
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
Quote by nowa90
Call me a hater, but I dont like your body shape, its too fat/round. Making it fretless is a cheap excuse, stewmac sells pre-slotted boards for cheap.
Also, @Sleaze they play metalcore, they dont use tone and dynamics. Only spiders 6's and emg's

Quoted for truth.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Quote by nowa90

If u dont like it, dont build one...his fretless piss j off? Go buy him a neck....gotta agree on the body though
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Page 1 of 2