Hello everyone. I've been playing for three years, but, unfortunately my teacher was kind of a bust, all he ever did was talk on about how great his band was (and they're not very good)

Anyways, I was wondering how does one get out of this phase? As in, what should I practice?
My Gear:
B.C. Rich Warlock
VOX ADT50
Digitech Death Metal
Crybaby Wah
Find new techniques (sweeping, tapping, slide guitar), experiment with new tunings, try new genres (if you normally play metal, try some jazz), and listen to a lot of new music in any genre and learn some of it and the theory behind it. Challenge yourself
Join bands, write songs.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Plateaus in ability don't really exist, they're simply a result of mismanaged expectations.

You haven't suddenly stopped getting better, and equally nothing's preventing you from getting better. What is happening is that you're not progressing at the rate you were expecting to, either that or there's some things in particular that you're not able to play and it's really niggling you.

Guitar is a killer for diminishing returns, the better you get at it the more work you have to put in for less gain. The first year or two you will be flying through stuff as you can cover a lot of ground with some fairly basic stuff, but when simply knowing how to do something isn't enough, when you need to start refining or even perfecting the things you do, that's when it all slows down.

Regardless of where you are though, there's always something that's a little bit more challenging than anything else you can play. And even then don't fall into the trap of thinking you only need to learn "harder" stuff to become "better"...it doesn't work that way. Everything you don't know is a gap in your knowledge, and every gap in your knowledge you fill makes you a better guitarist. One of the most short-sighted things a guitarist can do is not learn things because they're "too easy"...there is no such thing as too easy, you either know something or you don't.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thank you all very much, all great advice.
My Gear:
B.C. Rich Warlock
VOX ADT50
Digitech Death Metal
Crybaby Wah
Quote by Mick313
Hello everyone. I've been playing for three years, but, unfortunately my teacher was kind of a bust, all he ever did was talk on about how great his band was (and they're not very good)

Anyways, I was wondering how does one get out of this phase? As in, what should I practice?

Describe your plateau. Do you feel limited by your technique or your creativity? If it's technique, do you feel that the technique you know are too few or that you aren't skilled enough at the ones you know?

Like Mark said, you'll eventually reach a degree of skill at which it becomes very difficult and time consuming to improve substantially in technique. It's easy to become discouraged at that point because you aren't seeing much return even on a month-by-month basis.

One thing that keeps me going when I hit those proverbial walls or plateaus is to really think about what skills or knowledge I don't have and begin trying to attain that skill or knowledge. Then I'll go back to familiar territory and try to employ my new found understanding in that context.