I'm looking to replace the JT500 on my Jackson. It holds tune pretty well considering it's an 18 year old trem, but I want something that holds perfectly. I want to know which of the 2 trems I should get. Right now I can get either one brand new for about the same price, the OFR is $15 more. Is the OFR really any better than the Gotoh? I know the OFR is a direct swap where as the Gotoh will probably require a small amount of work to the trem cavity, but that's easy to do.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Is there a difference in how they're made? I know Schaller Floyds are stamped metal where as their OFRs are machined, what about Gotohs? Machined as well? And the tone blocks, what kind of a difference is there between the brass and steel when playing with high gain?
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
This ^^^^
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by supersac
id get the ofr sinc eits not too much more expensive and its a direct swap

IMHO some pretty good reasons for an OFR to a direct swap for most LRF. Mostly if and when the LFR wears out you have a quality part to replace it with...
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Get the gotoh. Cheaper for equal or better (Gotoh made the Edge, Lo-Pro Edge, and Edge Pro), so why not.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
There's only 1 OFR actually, the German/Schaller made aftermarket one. The FRT isn't availible to the pubic.

I knew that Gotoh makes Ibanez's higher end trems so I though it must be at least on par with the OFR. I understand that Gotoh upgraded their machining equipment not too long ago, so would they be machining a better trem? I'm leaning towards the Gotoh right now as the quality should be there and I like the bar on their trem better than the hit-or-miss screw on bar.
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0