Poll: Do social networks create narcissism?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do social networks create narcissism?
Yes, they create narcissists daily
9 12%
No, they just draw it out of us
26 33%
No, narcissists are just drawn to social networks, it neither creates or catalyzes them
33 42%
Social networks are for retards. I am a caveman with no friends outside of my english class
7 9%
Hold on, I need to tweet to my 16 followers about this
3 4%
Voters: 78.
Before you say yes, I want to clarify that I'm asking if you think it creates narcissism. Does a social networking site turn a regular individual into a narcissist, or does it just release the inner narcissist in all of us if we leave it unchecked?

Related: Don't make entire albums of you taking pictures of yourself in the bathroom. Nobody cares.
Check out my band Disturbed
even the most insecuer and shy people have an inner narcissist

i actually have a half nude shot of myself on fb

no shame
I voted for the third option, but I am a caveman with no friends and I dont use the sites.
I don't think it makes people more narcissistic, I think it allows people to be incredibly narcissistic if they don't stop themselves.

Just having a section titled "About Me" is an enormous temptation to spend hours working on the perfect description of yourself, that makes you sound like a cross between Jesus, Mozart and Ron Jeremy, that will be read zero times.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Jul 29, 2011,
I don't know if I really can answer your poll. I guess in some ways it can. I can't say I'm too narcissistic cause I can't stand looking at myself and I'm too self conscious, I only have one pic of myself on there and it's with my brother.

I'm glad I have a small amount of friends on Facebook, which is the only social site I visit besides this one, cause I keep in contact with most of those people.
STಠ_ಠ
Quote by duggyrocks
You sound like you are against semi-nude self shots. Why would you be against this?

Go all or go home.
Of course not. The question lends itself to a very narrow-minded analysis of narcissism, but social networking websites don't create that.
I voted for what I felt was the most creative option.

And nope, probably just brings out the narcissism.
Catch the Dragon
Quote by hriday_hazarika
This thread is as terrible as music, which sucks balls.
Social networking does not create narcissism.

Social networking is an end-product of narcissism and can only be utilized properly through narcissistic behaviors.
Quote by StewieSwan
Go all or go home.

Go hard or go home.

Quote by snaaake
Social networking does not create narcissism.

Social networking is an end-product of narcissism and can only be utilized properly through narcissistic behaviors.

Not really. It's possible to use social networking sites without being narcissistic, although they are the perfect vehicle for that type of behaviour.
Last edited by So-Cal at Jul 29, 2011,
I'm on FB, twitter, UG, Google + etc etc and I'm not really a narcissist.

I don't think that social networks create narcissists, I just think that there's a lot of 'em in the world.

Who knows.
I use social networks and don't think I'm narcissistic on them.

I don't have any self taken photos, my info section is basically just a list of things people could use to work out how they know me such as school, employment, age, name etc.
My status updates are probably 90% news and images, the other 10% being arranging meetings.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of other people on sites like this out there.
Quote by So-Cal
Go hard or go home.

I'll pass.
Not sure, I think it might create it but I'm leaning towards it drawing it out of us.

With facebook or your prefered social networking site, you are being thrown into a world where status is an apparent and now - behind the computer - achievable goal. For this reason a person has the opportunity to raise one's social status with the website's tools, like putting up pics of yourself somewhere/with someone/something cool or making status updates about your (as far as everyone on there know) awesome life. This constant "contest" to raise your own social status can lead to a bit more narcissistic view. But does it draw it, or create it? I think we'll never know.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by StewieSwan
Does a social networking site turn a regular individual into a narcissist, or does it just release the inner narcissist in all of us if we leave it unchecked?

What does this even mean. Narcissism is a personality trait, it's not like a dormant gene, there's no distinction between the two situations.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
I just spam peoples news feeds with random crap all day. People dislike me so I just do the best I can.

TBH it brings out peoples high school side. "Like this for an xxxxxxx" tends to attract many shallow minded attention seekers. Either that or people really want to know my opinion on them, not like I have one since I live in a place where social hermitting is accepted.....
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
i post ALOT on facebook, but im not narcissistic at all. my posts primarilly are wildly inappropriate, about metal, or just something funny to try to keep people happy. i use facebook as a tool to help people
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by dann_blood
What does this even mean. Narcissism is a personality trait, it's not like a dormant gene, there's no distinction between the two situations.

Not really. Everyone has narcissism in them, but I don't think that's enough to call someone a narcissist. One who indulges in it is a narcissist. You are basically saying that since we all like to eat, we are gluttons.

The distinction I guess is that one is aware of it and the other is not.
Last edited by StewieSwan at Jul 29, 2011,
Quote by StewieSwan
Let me clarify: Does social networking encourage or simply allow us to advertise our narcissism.

I would say encourage. There are a few papers on it and more research into it is being done, and from what little i've read the evidence tends to show that it tends to act as a facilitative tool for traits like sexism, egocentrism, etc. It isn't by any means comprehensive though, and i'd prefer to think that people aren't inherent dickheads.

EDIT:
Not really. Everyone has narcissism in them, but I don't think that's enough to call someone a narcissist. One who indulges in it is a narcissist. You are basically saying that since we all like to eat, we are gluttons.

The distinction I guess is that one is aware of it and the other is not.

So then you're begging the question, you're saying everyone is already a narcissist, that it's already created, rather than everyone is capable of narcissism. I'd say if something happens that results in narcissistic tendencies then it's created narcissism, because there was an absence of narcissism prior to that.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Last edited by dann_blood at Jul 29, 2011,
Eh **** it, I'm retarded. I need to go to bed
I think it promotes it, and since it definitely does draw narcissism out of us, I'd venture to say it has the potential to create it out of most people as well.

Shy but popular dude makes facebook.
His one picture gets a lot of attention and compliments.
Boy likes attention and compliments.
Posts more pictures, checks back often, trying to receive more.

Maybe based on a true story.

>_>
It doesn't create it. A seed of narcissism I'm sure is within every human being. But some are more likely to let it sprout. Facebook and other forums are just like water on the seed.

>_>
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by blake1221
I think it promotes it, and since it definitely does draw narcissism out of us, I'd venture to say it has the potential to create it out of most people as well.

Shy but popular dude makes facebook.
His one picture gets a lot of attention and compliments.
Boy likes attention and compliments.
Posts more pictures, checks back often, trying to receive more.

Maybe based on a true story.

>_>

You're that fat irish ginger that entered the modeling competition, aren't you.
Quote by Vornik
Good old Pete. Isn't he too old to masturbate? - Pete Townshend
Don't mind your make-up, you better make your mind up. - Frank Zappa
Last edited by Tvrtko1 at Jul 29, 2011,
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
It doesn't create it. A seed of narcissism I'm sure is within every human being. But some are more likely to let it sprout. Facebook and other forums are just like water on the seed.

>_>

I'd like to water your seed.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
I'd lean between options 2 and 3, although I think anything that allows a far broader social spectrum than just 'who you walk out of your front door and hang around with' is food for the narcissist. All it takes is one status to get lots of likes, one photo to get lots of comments etc, and people take it as a sign to do more and more and more, and they don't even realise how self indulgent they are becoming.
I tend to agree with the studies that have been conducted.
It turns the average person into a narcissist.
More narcissistic you are, the more involved you are in the whole social networking scheme.
Look at places like 4chan, insignificant 13 year olds, and failures congregating to prove how 'awesome' they are.

-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3