do you ever get the fealing everything you do has been done before? like you come up with a chord progression and then listen to it the next day and your just like thats too pink floyd ish, or you write some lyrics and then think to yourself "stop trying to be like jim morrison dumbass". its incredibly frustrating. anyone else have this problem?
No.

I'm a winner.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Yeah and its a good thing (though it might not feel that way). It pushes you to strive for your own original sound. Stick at it and you will get to where you will start having ideas you feel are original.
Andy
Quote by VertigodowN
do you ever get the fealing everything you do has been done before? like you come up with a chord progression and then listen to it the next day and your just like thats too pink floyd ish, or you write some lyrics and then think to yourself "stop trying to be like jim morrison dumbass". its incredibly frustrating. anyone else have this problem?

Of course which is why I rarely listen to music. I find that I gravitate more towards melody and lyrical content.

As a song writer I have to say that it's all about the songs. Once you have something to convey the song is the structure. We are also sometimes too prone to get caught up in the minutia of our songs effects and techniques, when really the majority of people that care about all that are other musicians, but by and large we are a small percentage of the audience, and we are usually sitting there nitpicking people musically...ergo...who cares what we think? In general we are over impressed with ourselves and our "innate ability" to judge music (not really, we are just in need of being moved a few notches down). In the big picture, we aren't that important, and you're never gonna make all of us like you anyways.

The fact is if we write for a broad audience, and by that I don't mean guitar hero records like Steve Vai, and Joe Satriani, but like....everyone, then the vast majority don't know or care if you used Modal interchange or that ooh neat Double Harmonic whatchmacallit....they just know if you wrote a song they like, connect to and want to hear again. This is important because that should also be our focus, to write a song that reaches others, and if those chords happen to be C Am F and G, and the song is strong....you're done. Who cares if they've been used in times past...this is YOUR song and if it does what you set out to do, and that is reach out to others...then you're done. Write another song

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jul 29, 2011,
I feel this way now! I come up with cool harmonies and ... POW ... no wait, it was too much like In Flames :/
Quote by Sean0913
Of course which is why I rarely listen to music. I find that I gravitate more towards melody and lyrical content.

As a song writer I have to say that it's all about the songs. Once you have something to convey the song is the structure. We are also sometimes too prone to get caught up in the minutia of our songs effects and techniques, when really the majority of people that care about all that are other musicians, but by and large we are a small percentage of the audience, and we are usually sitting there nitpicking people musically...ergo...who cares what we think? In general we are over impressed with ourselves and our "innate ability" to judge music (not really, we are just in need of being moved a few notches down). In the big picture, we aren't that important, and you're never gonna make all of us like you anyways.

The fact is if we write for a broad audience, and by that I don't mean guitar hero records like Steve Vai, and Joe Satriani, but like....everyone, then the vast majority don't know or care if you used Modal interchange or that ooh neat Double Harmonic whatchmacallit....they just know if you wrote a song they like, connect to and want to hear again. This is important because that should also be our focus, to write a song that reaches others, and if those chords happen to be C Am F and G, and the song is strong....you're done. Who cares if they've been used in times past...this is YOUR song and if it does what you set out to do, and that is reach out to others...then you're done. Write another song

Best,

Sean

this hit home dude, the last song i wrote was litterly C Am F and G and i know thats so done over and over but it didnt matter cause i thought it was decent, so your like , validating my thoughts. this is good advice !