Hey there,
I'm quite interested in learning the percussive-fingerstyle-type playing by folks like Andy McKee. I'm pretty new to this style of playing, and I was wondering if anybody could suggest a good place to start learning it.

Candy Rat Music I think has downloads of Any Mckee songs.

There's a guy at Jam Play and I cant recall his name...but he's sort of made that his thing...you could check out his stuff.

A few months ago Acoustic Guitar Magazine had an issue which had McKee's Drifting. I know because I carry that magazine at my shop.

An introduction to fingerstyle would also be desireable because he IS a percussive fingerstyle player, its not all beats and pops. There's musical underpinnings.

Laurence Juber is a noted practicioner of melodic pieces using alternate tunings, check out something like Cobalt Blue.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jul 29, 2011,
Make sure you've got a good understanding of fingerstyle playing. Then, make sure your guitar is reinforced, otherwise don't tap it too hard. Try to listen to ALOT of Andy mkgee, you can only play what you can hear in your head. Good luck!
Thank you very much, I'll be looking into those people.

Any particular song you would suggest as a starting point for learning? I can fingerpick pretty decently, and my left hand is fairly up to speed - so hopefully I shouldn't have to go back to the very basics to start off.
Quote by thecameronator
Thank you very much, I'll be looking into those people.

Any particular song you would suggest as a starting point for learning? I can fingerpick pretty decently, and my left hand is fairly up to speed - so hopefully I shouldn't have to go back to the very basics to start off.

There's a user on YouTube, named Herony - I found him because I heard his pieces and hes influenced by Tommy Emmanuel. I just enjoyed his arrangements, and as I recall he also had a few teaching segments.

Best,

Sean
Yeah AM is amazing for sure. Also check out the late great Michael Hedges for more examples of this technique.

It kinda goes back to the old cliche that be "Once you've heard one, you've heard them all", but he is amazing no doubt.