i recently finished building a fuzz face clone. however when i plugged it in (with a new battery) the notes lacked sustain and seemed to come out only when i hit hard. if i decreased the volume of the guitar, even slightly, no noise at all will come out. my guitar is a fender jaguar and i tihnk this might be becuase of the low output. for one thing with my strat it sounded better and the strat is of higher output. also, when i put a clean boost infront of it it made a difference and the notes started coming out better. is there a way to fix it or must i rely on my boost to use it.

i also wished to ask about a new fuzz, incase my fuzz face proves to be more of a hassle. my current guitar is a jag and im running through a marshall tube amp but ill prob be getting a small laney tube amp.

i was tinhking about mainly the big muff (60 euro),, big muff with tone wicker (80) or a fuzz factory clone (40). i have a ds-2 which i like and which is good for a tightish distortion (its not very tight but its how i like it). the sounds i want to cover are hendrix, white stripes, black keys, beck, dino jr., cream. so classic and alt rock.

i tihnk the fuzz factory might be more versatile but its a risk to build it as im not the best builder. i also cant try it and the big muff seems to be the classic choice. the FF might be more versatile though cos i want to get cheap, crappy fuzz all the way to nice creamy stuff

thanks and sorry for the long post
from what iunderstang its used to control feedback...not really sure though

i know its important in the fuzz factory and i heard some demos and the changes in sound it makes. but why mention it?
Quote by '93
i recently finished building a fuzz face clone. however when i plugged it in (with a new battery) the notes lacked sustain and seemed to come out only when i hit hard. if i decreased the volume of the guitar, even slightly, no noise at all will come out. my guitar is a fender jaguar and i tihnk this might be becuase of the low output. for one thing with my strat it sounded better and the strat is of higher output. also, when i put a clean boost infront of it it made a difference and the notes started coming out better. is there a way to fix it or must i rely on my boost to use it.

i also wished to ask about a new fuzz, incase my fuzz face proves to be more of a hassle. my current guitar is a jag and im running through a marshall tube amp but ill prob be getting a small laney tube amp.

i was tinhking about mainly the big muff (60 euro),, big muff with tone wicker (80) or a fuzz factory clone (40). i have a ds-2 which i like and which is good for a tightish distortion (its not very tight but its how i like it). the sounds i want to cover are hendrix, white stripes, black keys, beck, dino jr., cream. so classic and alt rock.

i tihnk the fuzz factory might be more versatile but its a risk to build it as im not the best builder. i also cant try it and the big muff seems to be the classic choice. the FF might be more versatile though cos i want to get cheap, crappy fuzz all the way to nice creamy stuff

thanks and sorry for the long post

What transistors did you use? sounds like you picked up two random trannies and they came in lower then their normal gain.
did you measure the HFE on a DMM?
i guess you wired something wrong

the bands you listed use a lot of different stuff.
for Keys you want a Green Big Muff, you can get one for 150 bucks
for Hendrix you could get a fuzz face, but his sound mostly comes from a fully cranked marshall head

visit stompunderfoot.com, a great site for various big muffs, email the dude if he can fix you up with something suitable for those genres.
Sounds like it's all biased wrong. Check your wiring and make sure you have the right resistors in the right holes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
those are a bit expensive...

thing is i dont need those tones exactly...im not really covering those songs or if i do ill do my own version. i play in a garage/punk/rock band that does originals.

the most specific sounds i can think of for the sound i would like (i know loud tube amps come into play but...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AirZDtIMTM
to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh3bleXWaCk

im pretty sure i screwed my pedal up...forgot to mention that i put a negative adapter in it when it only takes positive. took it out straight away and seeing how it does work when i do put a boost before i tohugh not much damage was done. im probably wrong though
I'm remembering that once I used my fuzz face after my boss ds2 and it worked fine. Does the ds2 have a good buffer increasing output?
There is something wrong with your build. Double and triple check your wiring and then check the bias of it. Sounds like it's biased wrong. You'll want -4.5 volts on the collector of Q2.